• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Kbat117

Doing snow dances
Skier
So I'm looking to start turning my own skis. I'm not sure how crazy I want to get with it. I have waxed before and cleaned up edges with a gummi stone at my work but want to do more on my own.

Suggestions for a kit for a budget minded recreational skier? Would like an iron, scraper, brushes, and some ptex at least. Anything additional is a bonus. Really don't want a spend a ton but willing to spend what it takes to get something half decent.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
as elucidated on MANY recent posts regarding edge geometry and maintenance between tunes,

You will need a side edge file guide. Read deeply and make a selection.

A Vixen file is nearly a must is P-tex repairs are to be performed.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
So I'm looking to start turning my own skis. I'm not sure how crazy I want to get with it. I have waxed before and cleaned up edges with a gummi stone at my work but want to do more on my own.

Suggestions for a kit for a budget minded recreational skier? Would like an iron, scraper, brushes, and some ptex at least. Anything additional is a bonus. Really don't want a spend a ton but willing to spend what it takes to get something half decent.

This is about as low as you can go here. https://the-raceplace.com/collections/tune-wax-kits/products/beast-pro-ski-tuning-kit
You still need a lot more stuff, but it's a start.

TS
Kbat117

Kbat117

Doing snow dances
Skier
as elucidated on MANY recent posts regarding edge geometry and maintenance between tunes,

You will need a side edge file guide. Read deeply and make a selection.

A Vixen file is nearly a must is P-tex repairs are to be performed.

Sounds like I have my work cut out for me. And I have 2 or 3 vixen files laying around already so theres a start :)

This is about as low as you can go here. https://the-raceplace.com/collections/tune-wax-kits/products/beast-pro-ski-tuning-kit
You still need a lot more stuff, but it's a start.

Wow! That's kinda spendy. I was initially looking at some much cheaper ($100ish) kits on Amazon. Looks like I need so save some more money.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Sounds like I have my work cut out for me. And I have 2 or 3 vixen files laying around already so theres a start :)

Wow! That's kinda spendy. I was initially looking at some much cheaper ($100ish) kits on Amazon. Looks like I need so save some more money.

That's chump change compared to a full kit. If you are really into it, eventually it all pays off and your skiing will progress. Good luck.

TS
Kbat117

Kbat117

Doing snow dances
Skier
Well at the prices I'm finding I'll just hold off for a bit. I'm going to pick up the Dakine Deluxe tune kit. Found it for $35 (normally 60). Comes with basic waxing tools, some p-tex, vixen file, gummi stone, basic edge tool, and a small block of wax. Will probably end up replacing it over time but I don't mind with as little as it will cost me. At least allows me to keep my skis in a bit better shape.

If I really like it, then I will invest more then :)

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
I went for the Edgetune, an edge guide, Dremel attachment using a ceramic cylinder. Not into racing but I like the bumps and natural trails. My base and mostly my edges gets abuse due to the terrain. Kind of frustrating when you spent 30 mins to 45 min to set up and tune to then have that new edge scrape the exposed rocks. So I just wanted something to keep them sharp for frozen granular and exposed boilerplate, just need 1 to 2 passes. My take is, expanding my files and accessories is more than the cost of the Edgetune and Dremel

From low cost kits and looking for individual deals, I already have an iron,p-tex for base repair and a sharp base scraper to level out any grooves.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I could suggest a simple shopping list and alternatives (think outside the box) or simply

www.racewax.com.....and look around.

For wax I like the Hertel FC739, good/great all around inexpensive performance through an extremely large range of temps. There are better, temp specific solutions at higher cost.

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
Edges: side guide, bottom guide (fixed angles or adjustable angles...I prefer fixed angles for both guides), 6" second cut file, medium grit diamond or abrasive stone. Felt tip pen (ink the edges, then just remove enough steel to get the edges sharp and remove the ink...remove no more steel than necessary).

Base: Don't worry about it. Let the shop fill gouges at the annual shop tune. Very carefully cut away any raised bits. Do have the shop promptly weld in new base material if it is gouged through to the core.

Wax: Any iron. Ebay has some decent cheapos. I like Hertel Super Hot Sauce universal wax. I dribble the melted wax on from the iron's sole, iron the wax into the base, re-melt the wax and wipe it off with a paper towel. Ski. It'll be slow for the first 10' or so, then ski fine. No real need for scrapers & brushes. If you do scrape, wiping the excess off with the paper towel greatly reduces the mess.

This is a very minimalist way to maintain skis, and it has worked to my satisfaction for years. You can get more exotic waxes, scrape, brush, brush some more, but for rec skiing the benefit is tiny. You can do a lot to the bases and spend money on devices, some times good work, sometimes damaging work, but again, I can't feel a difference. If you want to spend more, buy or make vises. There are lots of DIY ski vise designs around the internet. I hold the brakes back with the rubber bands off broccoli or asparagus.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Great tread, I have some good ideas for needed hardware and options!

Looks like a local sales flier shows the real needed tool .... I suspect some finesse is needed! :roflmao:

tuning.jpeg

Sponsor

Staff online