• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Steelers!

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
So I've been watching some calls this year and have a question for anyone who really knows football. Holding.. I think refs could call holding on every single play but they seem to call it at more high leverage times. Do they only call holding when it's directly relevant to the play? Do they get this right ah the time???

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So I've been watching some calls this year and have a question for anyone who really knows football. Holding.. I think refs could call holding on every single play but they seem to call it at more high leverage times. Do they only call holding when it's directly relevant to the play? Do they get this right ah the time???
Holding and pass interference are probably the 2 most inconsistent calls in the NFL games today. They could call both pretty much every play, and no these calls are not limited to when they are relevant or affect a play. I played and coach at a high level and a very good friend of mine was a 12 year NFL center including 10 with the Redskins. When we watch games we just shake our heads as to what’s allowed versus what’s called. My friend would tell you they were taught that they could hold as long as their hands were in tight on the body of the defender and their arms were not extended. If they were holding with their arms extended or outside the defenders core, they expected a penalty, which makes sense, but the inconsistency of that call is staggering.

NFL games are hard for me to watch sometimes because it seems there is a flag on every play.

scott43

Skier
Thanks for that coach. Sometimes I'm watching a replay and I see a defender pulling on the o-line guy's shoulder pads like he's trying to undress him. And I'm like, why is that not holding?? Other times it's a fast brush and release and it's 10 yards. At critical times. Can really affect the outcome..

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Thanks for that coach. Sometimes I'm watching a replay and I see a defender pulling on the o-line guy's shoulder pads like he's trying to undress him. And I'm like, why is that not holding?? Other times it's a fast brush and release and it's 10 yards. At critical times. Can really affect the outcome..
Definitely can affect the outcome. The worst for me was the difference between a blocking and charging foul in the 80s NBA. I swear some of those games were rigged.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I hate to say this but I can’t help wonder if TJ Watt isn’t the 2nd coming of JJ on all fronts. Dominant when he’s on the field, but hurt and unable to play about 70% of the time.

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
The way TJ plays, that is a real possibility. Given how this season is going. I think players like TJ and Heyward should be on a "pitch count." The Steelers will never try to lose but protecting core players from injury during a losing season is not the same as throwing a game. I'm hoping that TJ doesn't play against the Saints this weekend. He must be activated from the IR list by the following weekend or sit out the season. TJ sitting out the remainder of the season would not be a bad thing.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The way TJ plays, that is a real possibility. Given how this season is going. I think players like TJ and Heyward should be on a "pitch count." The Steelers will never try to lose but protecting core players from injury during a losing season is not the same as throwing a game. I'm hoping that TJ doesn't play against the Saints this weekend. He must be activated from the IR list by the following weekend or sit out the season. TJ sitting out the remainder of the season would not be a bad thing.
They should definitely be careful with him, whatever that looks like your means. It’s hard though to dump a truck load of money on a guy to watch from the sidelines.

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
It's been pretty quiet around here the lately. I was beginning to think people were dismayed and losing interest. The record is dreadful but interest is still high in Steeler Nation because everyone wants to know if Pickett is the man. Yesterday he looked like he could be and the D almost earned what they are being paid. Now would be a good time for @KevinF to tell us how bad Tomlin has been.

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
I missed the game, but... we won! How'd the team look today?

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
Pickett looked like the real deal, but the offense needs to get 6 in the red zone. Najee is finally hitting stride, running angry, 40 yards after contact of his 89 yards total. Dionte was finally getting some throws but dropped a few and had a fumble after the catch was overturned in replay. The defense looked good except for one drive that gave the Falcons a 1 point lead. Heyward had a sack, and Connor caught the Steelers' only TD. Watt doesn't look 100%, but Minka sealed the deal with a pick that ended the game. Kicker Wright was perfect and had to be. Positive steps. Pickens was upset. He had only 2 looks and 1 short catch. Muuuth continues to look like the heir to Heeeeth. Yinzer nation is happy his morning.

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
Hines Ward and James Harrison are semifinalists for the Hall of Fame. Hines for the seventh year in a row, Harrison for the first time in his first year of eligibility. I think both deserve the honor of induction, but I'm biased. :huh:

The sports media in the Burgh are all talking about how there is a chance the Steelers can make the playoffs. I'm happy that Pickett is growing as a pro QB, and the D almost earns their status as the highest paid defense in the league. If the team wins out, then maybe it's possible. I'm conflicted. A winning team now or a better team next season reinforced by better draft choices that losing will bring?

Sponsor

Staff online