• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tennis Anyone?

James

Out There
Instructor
Hey @geepers , what’s going on down there with the State? Going to deport Djokovic or what?
This is like Brett Favre deciding on retiring. Yes…no…no…yes… endlessly.

What’s the public opinion down there?
Imo, they should’ve told him not to get on the plane in the first place.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Hey @geepers , what’s going on down there with the State? Going to deport Djokovic or what?
This is like Brett Favre deciding on retiring. Yes…no…no…yes… endlessly.

What’s the public opinion down there?
Imo, they should’ve told him not to get on the plane in the first place.

:huh:

The rules supposedly say no entry into Australia without vaccination unless there's a medical exemption. Being a conscientious objector is not grounds for a medical exemption. The wiggle room is that not supposed to get a vax within xx weeks/months of being infected. That was intended to apply to domestic workers under vax mandate, not visitors, but that's the speck of daylight ND squeezed through.

Fed Govt stuffed it up by being sending him some sort of official ok (major mistake #1) and then being procedurally unfair at the border by attempting to deny access to lawyers (major mistake #2). They had previously granted Czech doubles player Renata Voracova entry under the same medical scenario and she was playing tournaments when they re-considered and put her on a plane home. So it's not a one-off stuff-up. Guess she didn't have the funds for the same legal firepower as ND.

Now there's doubt about the validity of ND's positive test given some inconsistencies in the data on the forms as well as his movements when he knew he was positive. There's also a error in ND's immigration declaration about travel prior to entry to country that would get a normal person a quick return flight. Fed Immigration Minister is "pondering". Which means he's weighing the trade-off between marginal interest voter groups, donors and for how long this can be used to distract us from other stuff-ups not related to tennis.

The general view is probably summed up by these two newsreaders recorded off-air. This is a main channel news desk. But this will make little difference to the final decision.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
WARNING!
Do not turn this into a COVID thread!

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
I suspect that due to their procedural missteps the Australian Immigration minister now finds himself in a damned if you do/damned if you don't situation. Looking into his crystal ball The Great Robbo (<- my alter ego when making dumb predictions) prophecies that the minister won't do anything at this stage. [This will be cue for the opposite news to come over the wires momentarily]

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I suspect that due to their procedural missteps the Australian Immigration minister now finds himself in a damned if you do/damned if you don't situation. Looking into his crystal ball The Great Robbo (<- my alter ego when making dumb predictions) prophecies that the minister won't do anything at this stage. [This will be cue for the opposite news to come over the wires momentarily]
Either way, if Djokovic plays in the Australian Open it’s going to be a shitshow. He’ll be booed by some, they’ll be commentary. A lot of his fellow players are pissed at him. He’s no stranger to controversy, though.

James

Out There
Instructor

The rules supposedly say no entry into Australia without vaccination unless there's a medical exemption. Being a conscientious objector is not grounds for a medical exemption. The wiggle room is that not supposed to get a vax within xx weeks/months of being infected. That was intended to apply to domestic workers under vax mandate, not visitors, but that's the speck of daylight ND squeezed through.

Fed Govt stuffed it up by being sending him some sort of official ok (major mistake #1) and then being procedurally unfair at the border by attempting to deny access to lawyers (major mistake #2). They had previously granted Czech doubles player Renata Voracova entry under the same medical scenario and she was playing tournaments when they re-considered and put her on a plane home. So it's not a one-off stuff-up. Guess she didn't have the funds for the same legal firepower as ND.

Now there's doubt about the validity of ND's positive test given some inconsistencies in the data on the forms as well as his movements when he knew he was positive. There's also a error in ND's immigration declaration about travel prior to entry to country that would get a normal person a quick return flight. Fed Immigration Minister is "pondering". Which means he's weighing the trade-off between marginal interest voter groups, donors and for how long this can be used to distract us from other stuff-ups not related to tennis.

The general view is probably summed up by these two newsreaders recorded off-air. This is a main channel news desk. But this will make little difference to the final decision.

It’s just bizarre, I can’t recall anyone who continually made themselves so unpopular. He always complained about how the crowd in NY didn’t like him. Well, they went from Agassi to Federer to…Federer. They also love Monfils though he doesn’t last.

Just when maybe they’re coming around, Djoker hits the line judge with a ball and gets disqualified.
Now contrast that to Medvedev a few years ago who got a little nasty with the ball person and got booed for the rest of the match. But then he turned it around by thanking the crowd for booing him. He went on to be well liked.

The weird thing is when Djokovic first came up he was pretty funny. He did impressions at the US Open of other players serving. I remember Sharapova and Nadal. Hilarious.

I tend to think the minister is going to let him play. Then it should be interesting how the crowd goes. Maybe an early round Djokovic-Millman? That’ll get the crowd riled up.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Maybe an early round Djokovic-Millman?

Given the draw they can't meet until about the semi-finals. Might be a big ask for Millman.

Still no decision as of 3:42pm EADST. Which probably means they are still working how to spin it. A Federal election must be held no later than 21 May 2022 so there will be a lotta polling in the marginal seats that will determine the fate of this Govt. :popcorn:

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)

If I'm not mistaken, his medical exemption was due to being exposed to the virus; he tested positive, but recovered. Having the virus in you, if I understand vaccines, is just as good (at priming your immune system) as having something that masquerades as the virus, but doesn't take over your cells to reproduce itself, in you to trigger your immune system.

But the plot thickens; apparently he lied on his application form, stating he had not been to other countrys when he had in fact travelled there. He would not be the first person deported for lying on the application form; it happens to lots of immigrants in lots of countries.

It's not just a tournament; it's a chance of breaking the record for number of wins of that tournament.

Last edited by a moderator:

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
I tend to think the minister is going to let him play.

Your crystal ball not working - the Minister cancelled his visa.

1642151489585.png

About as unexpected as Bryce Bennett winning Bormio DH - always a possibility but would have thought a European would have been a better bet.

So we're at round #3, I guess - The Empire Strikes Back. Not sure how his lawyers will play this one. The Immigration Minister has broad discretionary powers. Can cancel a visa for no particular reason - just 'cause he thinks some-one is a goose. Or whatever. However this will be the 1st time a well resourced person has challenged such a ruling. :popcorn: :popcorn:

If I'm not mistaken, his medical exemption was due to being exposed to the virus; he tested positive, but recovered. Having the virus in you, if I understand vaccines, is just as good (at priming your immune system) as having something that masquerades as the virus, but doesn't take over your cells to reproduce itself, in you to trigger your immune system.

There are some question marks over that positive test. Some are saying the timing may be a little too convenient. In any event it wasn't intended for visitors to Australia.

But the plot sickens; apparently he lied on his application form, stating he had not been to other countrys when he had in fact travelled there. He would not be the first person deported for lying on the application form; it happens to lots of immigrants in lots of countries.

Yep, he's admitted that - claims it was an admin error. :duck:

It's not just a tournament; it's a chance of breaking the record for number of wins of that tournament.

It's a chance to break the record for the number of tennis Majors, the Australian Open being one of 'em. Currently he's tied on 20 wins with Federer and Nadal. Would be the 1st to reach 21.

Tennis version of 87? :hail:

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It’s just bizarre, I can’t recall anyone who continually made themselves so unpopular. He always complained about how the crowd in NY didn’t like him. Well, they went from Agassi to Federer to…Federer. They also love Monfils though he doesn’t last.

Just when maybe they’re coming around, Djoker hits the line judge with a ball and gets disqualified.
Now contrast that to Medvedev a few years ago who got a little nasty with the ball person and got booed for the rest of the match. But then he turned it around by thanking the crowd for booing him. He went on to be well liked.

The weird thing is when Djokovic first came up he was pretty funny. He did impressions at the US Open of other players serving. I remember Sharapova and Nadal. Hilarious.

I tend to think the minister is going to let him play. Then it should be interesting how the crowd goes. Maybe an early round Djokovic-Millman? That’ll get the crowd riled up.
I really liked Djokovic when he was a rising star. Like you said, he could be hilarious. His childhood growing up in a war-torn country made me believe he’d maintain a good sense of humility.

One of the highlights of one of my US Open visits was seeing him up close on the practice court.

I’ve been pretty disappointed in him these past few years. Now I find myself always rooting for the underdog.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
France already said come play here. We'll wave all our rules for you since Australia won't That's a global politics decision, not tennis based.. I'll shut up now.. If anyone wants to know why I think that PM me. Pretty simple and obvious to me..

Last edited:

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

But the plot thickens; apparently he lied on his application form, stating he had not been to other countrys when he had in fact travelled there. He would not be the first person deported for lying on the application form; it happens to lots of immigrants in lots of countries.

His travel to Serbia and Spain (he lives in Monte Carlo) also occurred during the time that he tested positive for Covid.

James

Out There
Instructor

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I really liked Djokovic when he was a rising star. Like you said, he could be hilarious. His childhood growing up in a war-torn country made me believe he’d maintain a good sense of humility.

One of the highlights of one of my US Open visits was seeing him up close on the practice court.

I’ve been pretty disappointed in him these past few years. Now I find myself always rooting for the underdog.
He's definitely lost his humility and become what I consider a very poor role model.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Joker lost me here..

“Pressure is a privilege, my friend,” Djokovic said in answer to a reporter’s question after winning both of his matches at the Ariake Tennis Park on Wednesday, beating Alejandro Davidovich Fokina of Spain to reach the quarterfinals in singles then teaming with partner Nina Stojanovic for another victory in the opening round of mixed doubles.

“Without pressure there is no professional sport,” Djokovic added. “If you are aiming to be at the top of the game you better start learning how to deal with pressure and how to cope with those moments — on the court but also off the court.”

Like the next day...

1642168364488.png

1642168392996.png

Then after that, as if that wasn't enough to eat his words, he dropped out of the doubles finals and cost his partner a sure medal..

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
It's not just @James' crystal ball. I have to stop paying attention to that charlatan, The Great Robbo, whose powers of prediction are scant, to say the least!

Interestingly, I had got to quite like Djokovic after his post final interview at Wimbledon last year - I had thought to myself "Well he's not so bad after all" ... however, the behavior/behaviour [<- he's in Australia now] after getting a positive test has turned me, and The Great Robbo, right off.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Joker lost me here..

Like the next day...

View attachment 155131

View attachment 155132

Then after that, as if that wasn't enough to eat his words, he dropped out of the doubles finals and cost his partner a sure medal..
And yet Naomi Osaka gets fileted for withdrawing due to mental health issues due to the pressure of being an elite athlete. What I see here is a man falling to the same pressures and responding how society has taught men to respond. It's why we need more male athletes to speak up about mental health issues like Michael Phelps did.

I definitely believe that most people intend to do the right thing, but when they can't connect to their internal dialog because society has not taught them how to, they react irrationally or out of anger and frustration. They don't know how to become introspective and own their actions and take a step back and give themselves grace while understanding their behavior.

Seems Djokovic could use some mental health assistance. Either he's not listening to anyone, or he's getting bad advice from someone. In the Australian Open situation, it seems a series of poor decisions were made in an attempt to skirt the rules. I have little tolerance for that. Someone needs to do some ego work.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
And yet Naomi Osaka gets fileted for withdrawing due to mental health issues due to the pressure of being an elite athlete. What I see here is a man falling to the same pressures and responding how society has taught men to respond. It's why we need more male athletes to speak up about mental health issues like Michael Phelps did.

I definitely believe that most people intend to do the right thing, but when they can't connect to their internal dialog because society has not taught them how to, they react irrationally or out of anger and frustration. They don't know how to become introspective and own their actions and take a step back and give themselves grace while understanding their behavior.

Seems Djokovic could use some mental health assistance. Either he's not listening to anyone, or he's getting bad advice from someone. In the Australian Open situation, it seems a series of poor decisions were made in an attempt to skirt the rules. I have little tolerance for that. Someone needs to do some ego work.
Great analysis, Amy.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier

He and his handlers tried to spin that as not being directed or even related to the Biles or Osaka situations. Ha! Ya right LOL!

Sponsor