• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Texas couple sue Jackson Hole Mountain resort…

justplanesteve

Getting off the lift
Skier
You know if it wasn't for the "Karen" comment I wouldn't have posted. That slur really gets me as I've known many Karen's including my Aunt Karen who died of cancer a few years ago.

It's a gender equality thing.

The Richards i know are not Dicks. .
(though they mostly take the term with pro-active good humor)

PC dictated that the current age come up with a general feminine form of the pejorative nominem.

For the memory of your aunt and all the great Karens i've known, my regrets.

AFA the actual subject, i do hope the victim has a speedy full recovery whatever the genesis of her injuries.
I can be snarky. Even cynical. I am not mean spirited.

James

Out There
Instructor
I saw a guy with a broken ski track this past Monday. No idea how he broke it. He was holding the heel piece, I saw the track.

If patrol wasn’t coming, I would’ve called them. He was either drunk or concussed.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I saw a guy with a broken ski track this past Monday. No idea how he broke it. He was holding the heel piece, I saw the track.
I just saw someone break a heel off too…

I was going up the lift, and saw someone sliding unbelievably fast down the trail below. I missed the actual fall. By the time I saw him, he had already lost both skis. The trail was firm and slick, which was not helping his ability to slow down. After sliding 30-40 feet, one of his skis goes shooting by him like he was sitting still. Luckily it didn’t hit anyone before barreling tip over tail through the air and into the woods. He slid another 40-50 feet to the cat track before stopping and standing up, looking uninjured. A few seconds later a woman skied down picking up after Humpty Dumpty. One of the items she picked up appeared to be the heel of his binding, which explained the missile shooting down the hill seconds earlier. It was amazing that no one was injured.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Fake fingernails?
100%
Perhaps because I've had salon nails in the past and know what it feels like to have one rip off, and it took a lot of force. (and it effing hurt)
Now, there are self appy gel nails that a lot of women choose. They pop off fairly easily and without pain. I assume she mentioned it because they ALL came off at once and that would take a fair amount of pressure.

I would also point out that having skied for “40 years” doesn’t actually mean there was much experience. It just means her first time was 40 years ago.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
There are rental skis that lack appropriately wide brakes. A Vail owned K2 model nearly decapitated me at Kirkwood at New Year. Don't trust rental fleets is my motto unless you check them yourself. Unfortunately rental customers are leaat likely to have the skills hence why the punter was crashing on inappropriate terrain in the first place.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
IMO there is nothing wrong with a reasoned level of speculation as long as it is written so using relative terms. The issue is when another member takes what others have speculated and then treats whatever as fact. Or worse, someone making a joke about what is yet unknown blaming party. I do think we have a right to criticize the legal public release so in the future those making such legal statements ought be more careful.

clong83

Stauffenberg!
Skier

If patrol wasn’t coming, I would’ve called them. He was either drunk or concussed.
Question: Is that famed NASA flight director Gene Kranz in your profile shot?

Novaloafah

Should've paid attention to that lesson.
Skier
I'm just amazed that fact-less speculation has gone on for 9 pages.....:popcorn:
That's nothing there was a thread when i first joined pre ski talk where a person spoke to himself out loud about the pros and cons of travelling somewhere out west with folk offering advice. Went on for at least months and I have no idea if they ever went anywhere. It was strangely fascinating.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
That's nothing there was a thread when i first joined pre ski talk where a person spoke to himself out loud about the pros and cons of travelling somewhere out west with folk offering advice. Went on for at least months and I have no idea if they ever went anywhere. It was strangely fascinating.
I'm right here..I can hear you, you know...

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
He went to Steamboat, I think, and didn't have fun, but I forget what his issue was.

Coolhand

Getting off the lift
Skier
The reason that this thread is eliciting all the response is simply because these kind of lawsuits hurt the entire ski industry. Skiing is a complicated sport with lots of complicated equipment with relatively low tolerances for error, also it has a steep demand for athleticism and skill to do it correctly. It is also an inherently dangerous and risky endever, with many uncontrollable variables. Skiers should recognize and understand all of this, and should have signed a release of liability form when they pick up their equipment. A huge factor is after the equipment leaves the shop. Did the skier understand the warnings and instructions? I don't care how many times you tell people how to put their boots on, and skis on (clean the snow off the sole), far too many don't follow instructions. Did the skier tamper with the bindings and/or binding settings? I can't tell you how many times I find binding settings turned-up to max DIN by a customer or customer's significant other because they "know" how to set bindings or don't want the skis to come off. Demo/Rental bindings are made to be easy to adjust by the binding technician to facilitate rental efficiency, but the adjustment levers can be inadvertently be moved pretty easily, especially by a relatively inexperienced renter. A click forward or back on a toe or heel piece can and does dramatically effect proper binding release/retention. Another unfortunate factor is the "shit can happen" factor. You can do all the equipment maintenance by the book and maintain it the best you can, but sometimes equipment just will fail. Most bindings are made with plastics, and get abused mightily, it's amazing that they are as resilient as they are. Ski bindings just sometimes fail or break, without warning, or any indication of trouble, just because of the nature of the material that they are made of. Everyone is sorry that the skier in question was hurt and we all hope that she has a full and speedy recovery. Unfortunately, sometimes that's just the way it goes. It is an uncontrollable environment and there are limitations as to the safety of the sport, just recognize it and move on. Don't blame and/or sue everyone in the industry because of your misfortune.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Small data point in that a guy wiped out skiing today behind my daughters friend and his ski popped up and hit her in the helmet. So had it not hit her it might have “flown” maybe 12 feet. She was fine.

Sponsor

Staff online