• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
Just a quick question.....

Wolf Creek is claiming 90% coverage, with 7/9 lifts serving 71/78 trails, all from just an 18-20 inch base. Total snowfall for the year is 53 inches. Is that feasible?

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Wolf Creek is claiming 90% coverage, with 7/9 lifts serving 71/78 trails, all from just an 18-20 inch base. Total snowfall for the year is 53 inches. Is that feasible?

They are very liberal about opening terrain. It might be open but you might not want to ski it if you saw it. I made the mistake of going into Alberta with less than a 40" base once.

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
They are very liberal about opening terrain. It might be open but you might not want to ski it if you saw it. I made the mistake of going into Alberta with less than a 40" base once.

So, despite the stats, it may not be a good alternative to Purgatory?

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So, despite the stats, it may not be a good alternative to Purgatory?

Just depends on how bad you want to bash up your skis and yourself I guess. If I was going to be in the area I'd probably do a day at each just to spread out the crappiness.

clong83

Stauffenberg!
Skier

It's feasible for Wolf Creek. Their philosophy is that it's their job to spin the lifts, and your job to find some snow.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It is about time. It felt like September in the high country yesterday.

tachedub

Booting up
Skier
Wouldn't mind a report from anybody who went up to Sunrise recently. Spent some time prepping the skis for the season in the back yard, getting scolded by the hummingbirds. Only in Phoenix :daffy:

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Another hint at a pattern change next week. Fingers crossed but hopes are not high. What a weird season, I hesitate to even call it winter, more like perpetual fall this year.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, I'm starting to think my Taos trip (Feb. 3-10) is going to be pretty limited. As I'm planning to do a ski week and I'm on mostly groomers anyway, it'll be OK, but not what I was envisioning.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yeah, I'm starting to think my Taos trip (Feb. 3-10) is going to be pretty limited. As I'm planning to do a ski week and I'm on mostly groomers anyway, it'll be OK, but not what I was envisioning.

Yeah, unless the tap turns on Feb. isn't looking good. Just might be one of those seasons for us down here, it is feast or famine always.

TS
raisingarizona

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am impressed. No problem giving these folks my money. https://www.snowbowl.ski/snowmaking-continues/

That other stuff isn’t that far off from opening. I was wondering what was going on on upper ridge, I’ve never seen guns up that high before.

For whatever reason Coleman is really into getting all lifts up and running but I can’t help but feel that they should close the Agassiz chair and focus on more stuff below midway. It seems to me that they would get better use of resources that way and besides, if there isn’t enough snow to ski the natural terrain up there I would rather lap the GCE but I guess there is a marketing move with that.

Dryheat

Getting on the lift
Skier
Based on what everyone else is saying, I'm just thankful for all the ops staff has been able to accomplish. I trust there's a method to their madness.

I'm likely going up tomorrow. I assume I shouldn't be taking rock skis and that my normal skis are fine?

kimberlin

Getting on the lift
Skier
When I was up recently, there were no rocks seen or felt . I was amazed by that honestly. Maybe others have encountered a few, but I did not.
Going up again Monday!

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
Based on what everyone else is saying, I'm just thankful for all the ops staff has been able to accomplish. I trust there's a method to their madness.

I'm likely going up tomorrow. I assume I shouldn't be taking rock skis and that my normal skis are fine?

There are a few places where the coverage is getting a little thin, like at the top of Volcano where grass is showing through, but there are no rocks embedded in the groom.

TS
raisingarizona

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yup, the little bit of man made base is purdy darn solid.

I’ve wondered though how much expansion vs. making what is already open more solid and complete walk to wall makes the most sense, especially looking at long range forecasts. My thoughts and opinions aren’t based on much but I like to speculate on what might be the best move as far as snowmaking goes. It’s kind of interesting to me. Another factor is that at some point in February I believe the tap is closed off. Hopefully by then we get enough natural that that doesn’t matter.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Lee is saying there should be some fresh turns on Sunday morning. At this point I will take just seeing some clouds...

Sponsor

Staff online