• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The absolute best series of skis

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The old Head Rev series. The 80 and 85 were pretty good hard snow skis and even the 90, 98 and 105 were also Rev's, they skied very different and were very good off piste skis.

A collection that hasn't been mentioned yet is the Kastle MX, with a range from 67 (recently discontinuted) to 98.

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
One reason for my question is I was kind of going to head in the direction of one series. It was going to be Nordica Enforcer series. The problem is when I find a great deal on a ski I've wanted to try or it has great reviews I buy it. The one problem for me with the Enforcer series is I wanted a low 80's frontside ski. I ended up with a Brahma 82 and love it. I then questioned myself why wouldn't I love the Brahma 88? Problem is I already have the Enforcer 88. For my East Coast powder ski I was going to go with the Enforcer 110 or 104 Free but I got a great deal on here on a Kastle BMX 105 HD. Now I'm all over the place. I have other skis but now my main skis are Brahma 82, Enforcer 88, Kastle FX 96 HP (hasn't arrived yet), Kore 99's and the Kastle 105.
I don’t see a problem with this, rather there are many advantages to mixing. You have skis that you like, cover your intended uses, and didn’t break the bank. Maybe some overlap in there but if they all have a use and it works for you, all good.

Last edited:

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
No sense to such one series loyalty, other than near off season fun. Which is always good, next to skiing.

But, if I went along with choosing one series, it would only be because one series of one brand happens to have two skis that are "wow" skis for me, top models, instead of just covering the bases, or just one ski in that series that for me is more than good, tops in that width and category.

So for "wow" skis, I could go with two series already mentioned:
either the Enforcers (the Enforcer 100 and Enforcer 115, for me);
Or maybe nearly as good, the Head Kore 93 and the Kore 117/189.

I would just forget about the other skis in those series. And keep top skis in other brands, no sacrifices. No compromises. :)
(Especially with the FIS SL & GS race skis. )

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
If you had to fill your quiver with one brand of skis in the same series, which brand and series would you choose. Example of say a 3 quiver series: Nordica Enforcer, Stockli Stormrider, etc. also, does it make any sense to build a quiver in this manner? Is there one series out there that could actually work in your favor by doing this?
Can I just stay “in brand”? If “in brand” I’d probably go Salomon - Stance 90, Stance 102 and QST Blank.

If it was a series within a brand it would be Nordica Enforcer, but the 88 has a bit more tip rise than I prefer for that use case, and the wider ski is a touch heavier than I’d prefer. Nordica picks would be Enforcer 88, Enforcer 100 or the Unleashed 104, and the 110.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
One reason for my question is I was kind of going to head in the direction of one series. It was going to be Nordica Enforcer series. The problem is when I find a great deal on a ski I've wanted to try or it has great reviews I buy it. The one problem for me with the Enforcer series is I wanted a low 80's frontside ski. I ended up with a Brahma 82 and love it. I then questioned myself why wouldn't I love the Brahma 88? Problem is I already have the Enforcer 88. For my East Coast powder ski I was going to go with the Enforcer 110 or 104 Free but I got a great deal on here on a Kastle BMX 105 HD. Now I'm all over the place. I have other skis but now my main skis are Brahma 82, Enforcer 88, Kastle FX 96 HP (hasn't arrived yet), Kore 99's and the Kastle 105.
I thi k the answer is you want different “feels” for different use cases. So I want less tip rise in a piste focused ski, or an 88mm all mountain ski, with oomph. For a 100mm-105mm ski I want more tip rise, still some oomph, and a little more release out of the tail. For 110mm+ I want a fair degree of tip rise, on,y a little oomph, and lots of tail “freedom”.

So scaling up and down the exact same feel isn’t going to work for me,

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
My question would be: WHY stick to one series? What's the point in that? It only limits your choices and I don't see the upside, really. Unless you get some kind of 'buy one, get 70% discount on everything else in the series' kind of deal....

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Women might be able to do Blizzard Black Pearl 78, 88, and 98.
I’ve skied the 78 and 88 (78 is pretty hard snow capable; the 88 is super versatile), but haven’t skied the 98. Bonus: They come in a nice range of lengths, more so than many other women’s skis.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
My question would be: WHY stick to one series? What's the point in that? It only limits your choices and I don't see the upside, really. Unless you get some kind of 'buy one, get 70% discount on everything else in the series' kind of deal....

Satisfies the stamp collector itch? Because onomastic Marie Kondo could be a thing? Because the wife gets confused over all the purchases when all the models sound the same?

The fundamental answer to anything skiing is "because we want to". It's a disservice to ourselves to forget that.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
My reason would be quality and performance. After all a quiver can have several different series of skis. To some people "Brand Loyalty" does have a place in their purchasing decisions.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Women might be able to do Blizzard Black Pearl 78, 88, and 98.
I’ve skied the 78 and 88 (78 is pretty hard snow capable; the 88 is super versatile), but haven’t skied the 98. Bonus: They come in a nice range of lengths, more so than many other women’s skis.

Which brings up an interesting naming point - would OP be willing to ride a Black Pearl from Elan (the cap ski carver with integrated bindings) as well as a Black Pearl from a Blizzard?

1652277281195.png

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
If you had to fill your quiver with one brand of skis in the same series, which brand and series would you choose. Example of say a 3 quiver series: Nordica Enforcer, Stockli Stormrider, etc. also, does it make any sense to build a quiver in this manner? Is there one series out there that could actually work in your favor by doing this?

Humm, interesting.

Probably Nordica Enforcer, Salomon Stance, Stockli Stormrider, Head Kore and Moment Wildcat... would be happy with 3 pairs of skis from any of those series.

TS
East Coast Scott

East Coast Scott

Getting off the lift
Skier
I thi k the answer is you want different “feels” for different use cases. So I want less tip rise in a piste focused ski, or an 88mm all mountain ski, with oomph. For a 100mm-105mm ski I want more tip rise, still some oomph, and a little more release out of the tail. For 110mm+ I want a fair degree of tip rise, on,y a little oomph, and lots of tail “freedom”.

So scaling up and down the exact same feel isn’t going to work for me,
Except they don't all scale exactly like that. The Enforcer 104 free is completely different from the enforcer 88 or even the 100. I'm only mentioning Enforcer as an example.

Sponsor

Staff online