• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Atomic Professional Series

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, I was all excited about the Pro Liners, waiting patiently, hoping.....

But after two long, awesome powdery days to start the season, I have to admit that I can't find a single flaw in the new Hawx S with standard Mimic liner, so now wondering whether I really want to mess with success, or not.

I'll let fate decide. If they show up, great. If not, still thrilled with the boots.

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Well, I was all excited about the Pro Liners, waiting patiently, hoping.....

But after two long, awesome powdery days to start the season, I have to admit that I can't find a single flaw in the new Hawx S with standard Mimic liner, so now wondering whether I really want to mess with success, or not.

I'll let fate decide. If they show up, great. If not, still thrilled with the boots.
I'm sorry that things are hard to come by this year... it's an unfortunately reality we're all dealing with and with everything it seems. But, I'm happy that you are loving your new Hawx Ultra. If you can't find a Mimic Professional liner this year, at least you will still be grinning ear to ear ;)

the_eleven

Booting up
Skier
The stock Mimic Pro liner comes with the MV tongue. Does Atomic require dealers to carry the LV and HV tongues, or are these special-order items?

I am assuming that the tongues vary by mondo point size. Does Atomic North America have the different tongues in stock on hand at the moment?

Seems like it would take some experience and a few foaming failures for a fitter to know if/when to go with a different tongue?

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
The stock Mimic Pro liner comes with the MV tongue. Does Atomic require dealers to carry the LV and HV tongues, or are these special-order items?

I am assuming that the tongues vary by mondo point size. Does Atomic North America have the different tongues in stock on hand at the moment?

Seems like it would take some experience and a few foaming failures for a fitter to know if/when to go with a different tongue?
We don't require dealers to carry them, but we strongly suggest that they do. Depends on the shop, so some might stock them and some might special order only.

Atomic USA & Canada should have them in stock (they will not change for the foreseeable future, so this means they tend to be on hand).

Foam with the stock tongue and go from there. I foamed my Redster CS liner with the stock HV tongue but eventually swapped out for a MV to get a snugger fit for my super low volume foot.

the_eleven

Booting up
Skier
I rode the lift yesterday with someone in a new pair of Redster CS boots who had been foamed. He insisted that the foam for the Redster is a firmer version than the foam in the regular Mimic Pro, and that there is supposedly an even firmer foam for the smaller last race boots. Is it possible to special order tubes of the firmer foam at the time one purchases a Mimic pro liner?

Jb.schulte

Booting up
Skier
can anyone let me know how to change the forward lean on the 130 Ultra? Do I simply loosen the 2 rear screws and adjust between 13 and 17 degrees?

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I did this on my Ultra XTD and you take out 2 screws, flip the plate over and put the screws back in. Found it on youtube. I think the regular Ultra might be different, because it doesn't have the walk mode arm on the back. Youtube it is my suggestion.

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
I rode the lift yesterday with someone in a new pair of Redster CS boots who had been foamed. He insisted that the foam for the Redster is a firmer version than the foam in the regular Mimic Pro, and that there is supposedly an even firmer foam for the smaller last race boots. Is it possible to special order tubes of the firmer foam at the time one purchases a Mimic pro liner?
Same foam type/hardness/amount for all of the Mimic Professional liners. There aren't different foams used in the different versions.

There is a traditional, bottle foam liner that is sometimes used by our race department/APC shops, but that really isn't a viable option for retailers or skiers. That foam is harder, like cement, but it's not something most shops have access to or even want to mess with because it has all of the issues that those liners are known for (inconsistent filling, ruptured liners, lots of mess to deal with).

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
can anyone let me know how to change the forward lean on the 130 Ultra? Do I simply loosen the 2 rear screws and adjust between 13 and 17 degrees?
PSA - if you don't know which setting to choose and/or if you haven't had an ankle range of motion test done, don't do this. Positioning the cuff in the wrong position can cause real ankle & Achilles pain. This feature is ultimately for you, but it is meant to be adjusted by a trained boot-fitter who can assess your biomechanics and put the boot in the correct setting for you.

To get the 13° position, you need to remove the liner, loosen both screws (but not fully remove) and disengage the Power Shift from the cuff. Pull the cuff reward, and insert the 13° plastic shim that came with the boots in the gap between the cuff and shell. Tighten everything back up.

To get the 17° position, you need to loosen both screws (but not fully remove) and disengage the Power Shift from the cuff. Step into the boot, buckle it up on a normal/tight tension, flex the boot forward to the 17° setting, and have your boot-fitter/2nd person tighten the screws in place.

Gearhead

Booting up
Skier
ONK - Thank you for sharing all of this great info, It lead me to check out my local ski shop yesterday and see if I could get a Mimic Professional liner for my 2019 Head Raptors. They had 2 models to choose from - the Mimic Professional Hawx and Mimic Professional Redster TI. (They did not have the Mimic Professional Redster CS in stock in my size). The shape and last of the TI seemed to be a better match with my Raptors so we went with those and foamed them up. Other than the last and the additional lace loops on the TI and CS models, are there any other differences between the 3 models? Not that I can change anything now but I’m just curious.

The overall process was really smooth and took less than 2 hours, and that included a full foot assessment and making a few improvements to my custom footbeds. The end result feels fantastic - like they are sprayed on to my feet but with no hot spots. TBH it’s kinda surreal. I can’t wait to get them out on snow in the next couple of days. BTW, the head boot fitter Matt at Edge’n’Spoke in Redmond, WA was outstanding. They definitely know their stuff and representing your new liners well!

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
ONK - Thank you for sharing all of this great info, It lead me to check out my local ski shop yesterday and see if I could get a Mimic Professional liner for my 2019 Head Raptors. They had 2 models to choose from - the Mimic Professional Hawx and Mimic Professional Redster TI. (They did not have the Mimic Professional Redster CS in stock in my size). The shape and last of the TI seemed to be a better match with my Raptors so we went with those and foamed them up. Other than the last and the additional lace loops on the TI and CS models, are there any other differences between the 3 models? Not that I can change anything now but I’m just curious.

The overall process was really smooth and took less than 2 hours, and that included a full foot assessment and making a few improvements to my custom footbeds. The end result feels fantastic - like they are sprayed on to my feet but with no hot spots. TBH it’s kinda surreal. I can’t wait to get them out on snow in the next couple of days. BTW, the head boot fitter Matt at Edge’n’Spoke in Redmond, WA was outstanding. They definitely know their stuff and representing your new liners well!
Thanks for sharing your results, awesome stuff!

The differences between the liners are mainly last related and adapting the materials to work in the different last shapes. Same quality materials, same foam, just altered shapes. The Hawx vs. Redster liners come with different thickness tongues (as part of our V3 Tongue System) but they are removeable/swappable as per your needs.

Gearhead

Booting up
Skier
Thanks for sharing your results, awesome stuff!

The differences between the liners are mainly last related and adapting the materials to work in the different last shapes. Same quality materials, same foam, just altered shapes. The Hawx vs. Redster liners come with different thickness tongues (as part of our V3 Tongue System) but they are removeable/swappable as per your needs.
Makes total sense. After checking the fit of both liners inside my shells the Redster model was just a better match prior to foaming. I also lucked out in that the boot fitter had multiple tongues for me to try, including a tongue from a World Cup liner. We went with the WC tongue - it’s bad ass!

Jb.schulte

Booting up
Skier
PSA - if you don't know which setting to choose and/or if you haven't had an ankle range of motion test done, don't do this. Positioning the cuff in the wrong position can cause real ankle & Achilles pain. This feature is ultimately for you, but it is meant to be adjusted by a trained boot-fitter who can assess your biomechanics and put the boot in the correct setting for you.

To get the 13° position, you need to remove the liner, loosen both screws (but not fully remove) and disengage the Power Shift from the cuff. Pull the cuff reward, and insert the 13° plastic shim that came with the boots in the gap between the cuff and shell. Tighten everything back up.

To get the 17° position, you need to loosen both screws (but not fully remove) and disengage the Power Shift from the cuff. Step into the boot, buckle it up on a normal/tight tension, flex the boot forward to the 17° setting, and have your boot-fitter/2nd person tighten the screws in place.
Got it. Thanks for explaining. I’ll definitely let a shop handle that.

Slider

Booting up
Skier
Hi @onenerdykid,

If I wanted a pair of Hawx Prime (or Ultra) Professional with the most accurate bootfitting process (including resurfacing of tips and tails of the boots in case I needed canting shims), where should I look in Europe; preferably in France ?

I am aware of the search page on Atomic website, but is « expert-bootfitter » sufficient or should I aim to « pro-center » ?

thanks ;)

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Hi @onenerdykid,

If I wanted a pair of Hawx Prime (or Ultra) Professional with the most accurate bootfitting process (including resurfacing of tips and tails of the boots in case I needed canting shims), where should I look in Europe; preferably in France ?

I am aware of the search page on Atomic website, but is « expert-bootfitter » sufficient or should I aim to « pro-center » ?

thanks ;)
I unfortunately don’t know which shops in France are able to do that kind of work but if there is an Atomic Pro Center that would be the place to start. You should call them up and ask if they do (you will need to call them and book an appointment for those services anyway).

Skimottaret

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Great thread super informative but I have a couple questions for ONK if you don't mind...
ONK, I have had 3 pairs of Atomic RT Ti R boots over the years with the latest from about 2015/16 which were 150 flex, 95mm last, 17 deg FL and they need replacing as have gone rock hard. I am looking for some new performance boots for teaching/training and trying to determine if the CS 130 or Ti 130 / 150 would be my best choice. For reference I am 6'4" 218lb, 295 mondo with narrow feet, did a few years of GS skiing but not any longer as getting old ! I have used zip fits for the last 12 years due to old bone spurs and have gotten used to the feel of them.

I have in some old notes that the Zeppa (baseboard) angle on the older RT Ti R boots I have was 2.6 deg and a quick measure up shows that they are about that angle. Being tall I'm quite sensitive to ramp and binding delta angle and have all my skis set up to a flat delta.

It was mentioned the CS 130 has a 4deg zeppa angle, is that correct as I don't see the baseboard angle listed on your website ?
Can I ask what is the baseboard angle on the new Ti 150 and 130?
Does the "WorldCup" liner in the Ti boots have the foam injection ? Or is that just on the "Professional" models?

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Great thread super informative but I have a couple questions for ONK if you don't mind...
ONK, I have had 3 pairs of Atomic RT Ti R boots over the years with the latest from about 2015/16 which were 150 flex, 95mm last, 17 deg FL and they need replacing as have gone rock hard. I am looking for some new performance boots for teaching/training and trying to determine if the CS 130 or Ti 130 / 150 would be my best choice. For reference I am 6'4" 218lb, 295 mondo with narrow feet, did a few years of GS skiing but not any longer as getting old ! I have used zip fits for the last 12 years due to old bone spurs and have gotten used to the feel of them.

I have in some old notes that the Zeppa (baseboard) angle on the older RT Ti R boots I have was 2.6 deg and a quick measure up shows that they are about that angle. Being tall I'm quite sensitive to ramp and binding delta angle and have all my skis set up to a flat delta.

It was mentioned the CS 130 has a 4deg zeppa angle, is that correct as I don't see the baseboard angle listed on your website ?
Can I ask what is the baseboard angle on the new Ti 150 and 130?
Does the "WorldCup" liner in the Ti boots have the foam injection ? Or is that just on the "Professional" models?
If you want the same boot as you had before, get the Redster TI 150. Same exact boot but with new liners & buckles.

The CS 130 will be slightly softer than the Redster TI 130 (same material is used in both boots but since the TI is thicker, it will be slightly stiffer). The ramp angle of the CS is almost the same as the TI.

The liner that comes in the TI boots is a "standard" World Cup liner - no Mimic materials, no foam injection. The liner that comes in the CS boots is a Mimic World Cup- Mimic materials but no foam injection. There are Mimic Professional liners available for each boot (Mimic materials + foam injection).

Skimottaret

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Cheers, thanks for the swift reply... I don't think I was clear on the version of boot I have, they are the white clogs red cuff version before the carbon spine Redster. So are you saying that the NEW Redster TI is the same as the RT TI R's ? I didn't hear a lot of good things about the carbon Redster from a few years ago so didn't upgrade to those and held onto my older RT Tis but Im getting desperate and the new boots sound amazing :)

Thanks for clearing up the Liners. It is a touch confusing in that the WC ones are not the latest tech but fully understand now.

Last edited:
TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Cheers, thanks for the swift reply... I don't think I was clear on the version of boot I have, they are the white clogs red cuff version before the carbon spine Redster. So are you saying that the NEW Redster TI is the same as the RT TI R's ? I didn't hear a lot of good things about the carbon Redster from a few years ago so didn't upgrade to those and held onto my older RT Tis but Im getting desperate and the new boots sound amazing :)
Race Tech Team Issue = Redster Team Issue, same exact mold series. Same boot.

Sponsor

Staff online