• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So here's how our young Zerkes negotiates with our older grumpy Roxy .. for a bone, though others are plentiful

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Neighbor Dog Bandi using mom’s foot as a headrest.

9A95EB1F-8504-4458-B4A0-0AF37E71453F.jpeg

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That's a big dog, it looks like it has had a problem with it's front paw?

Bandi drags both of his front paws when he walks. If they aren't covered and he walks on too much pavement the front of his toes get scraped bloody. We were always trying to walk in places where we could keep him on grass as much as possible. We finally figured out that using Pawz silicone booties wrapped in duct tape protects them and he gets more freedom on his walks. He's so cute about it and prances along like he owns the world with his booties on. Ginsburg on the other hand hates booties and walks like she has a stick up her butt and gives me evil eyes the entire time.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Zerkes again negotiating with Roxy ... as typically a few minutes later he has his head resting on her hip and sleeping.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We had some white stuff in Texas this weekend, my daughter sent me this pic, she took Tara to the park to throw the ball.

View attachment 158746
Always fun to throw a snowball and watch the pooches search and wonder "where'd it go???"

Fun too is when they figure it out

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Always fun to throw a snowball and watch the pooches search and wonder "where'd it go???"

Fun too is when they figure it out
Pretty funny, but in reality, not something you want to do with a hunting dog/retriever. You want to build confidence, and trust with your dog. If I send Tara to retrieve a bird and it gets away because it is wounded, it kills her, she gets flustered, and panics even, hurts her confidence. And there have been times I cast her in the direction where I think the bird is, and I'm wrong, and this is not good because she is trusting me to send her to where the bird is, and it is not there, not good in building trust.

A big part of training (which never ends), is doing simple retrieves to build confidences and trust with your dog. When I send her on a blind retrieve, she runs a straight line where I'm sending her, and when she finds the bird, that is a huge confidence/trust builder. If that confidence and trust is blown too many times, the dog will not listen to you any more. A hunting dog that lacks trust and confidence will not run a strait line, you send them, they go about 10 yards strait then start going where they want to go.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January