• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Was the sole purpose of this enquiry (the full shop name having already been stated in the post) to call them out in your follow-up post? Not looking to narc on shop here. They probably have standards. Did cross my mind there would be one person who would raise suspicions ...
Well yeah... sort of. Initially I thought maybe it was a UK government acronym, in which case they were being nice to you on not having to pay anything additional based on that value. But if it was the shop, they were taking the risk of there being an issue. That's really why I was curious.

James

Out There
Instructor
My first North American ski purchase since relocating to the U.K. in 2015, Blizzard SL FIS from Colorado Discount Ski Shop (thank you @James for encouraging me to go with Blizzard FIS!). I had been avoiding pulling the trigger on Ski Essentials or Corbetts gear for fear of getting hit with big import duties on top of the international shipping costs.

But I had no duties to pay to release the skis to me, and the parcel sailed through customs. Ordered February 1 and the parcel was in the U.K. Friday, although too late for delivery before the weekend.

I think what did the trick was CDSS setting the value of the skis at the $ equivalent of £130 threshold for VAT surcharge. Certainly I paid more than triple that. Had I known it would be this smooth I would’ve added the XComp bindings from the shop, but I got a good deal on those from my local London shop, set-up included. View attachment 123673
Happy to oblige! Let me know what else you’re looking for. There’s crazy deals in March/April usually. Hard to tell what will be left this year. One year I had 3 people buy skis on the phone from one shop. That was a low snow year though.
I like the look of those Augment 88’s!

Ivan

Out on the slopes
Skier
After 13+ years on my Dynastar Speed Omeglass Comp slalom skis, it's time for an upgrade. Found a great deal on the new WC FIS SL from a couple of seasons back and decided to pull the trigger. According to the posts by @ScotsSkier, the little stickers on the tail and black sidewalls mean that this is the Team version. I'm looking forward to trying them soon!

IMG_0730.jpg IMG_0728.JPG IMG_0729.JPG

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A few years ago, someone on here (@SBrown ?) told me about a sale Trew was having on their bibs and I bought a pair in a brownish color. Their performance has been fantastic, but they're a little big, and I'm tiring of the color. My other ski pants are the almost the same color and those actually seem to be absorbing water at this point.

So, with a birthday coming up, I ordered the Trew Stella jacket and Chariot bibs for myself. They were on special (buy bibs, get jacket for 50% off). I got the jacket in midnight blue and the bibs in tropical teal. I hope those colors work together. I wasn't ready to have the jacket the same color as the bibs, and those colors will work with my other jackets and pants (I think).

The styling on the Stella jacket is different than I would usually pick, but I have so many "twinsies" with the Flylow I currently wear that I decided to buy something I haven't seen much (at least not in Tahoe or Utah).

As far as the earth tone/grunge colors, I think those have been around at least since I last bought bibs (hence my previous color choice). I like those color ways, but I also like jewel tones. Now I can dress according to mood and/or need to layer.

AlpedHuez

Chasing that Odermatt form
Skier
Got my Blizzard SL FIS back from the shop with XComp 16s mounted on the Marker piston plate. View attachment 124179
This is a very nice quiver.
Thanks. I took from you the wise counsel to be selective about my quiver posts, not showing the full arsenal all at once, lest anyone think I have a problem. I had 4 (of XX) out with the SL as I was looking at forward pressure markings for 305 BSL Nordica GP 140 boots where the binding was mounted for BSL 308 Dalbello DRS 140.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thanks. I took from you the wise counsel to be selective about my quiver posts, not showing the full arsenal all at once, lest anyone think I have a problem. I had 4 (of XX) out with the SL as I was looking at forward pressure markings for 305 BSL Nordica GP 140 boots where the binding was mounted for BSL 308 Dalbello DRS 140.
I will do a full quiver post one of theese days... gonna need some pages :D

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've always wanted to try a Monster. It took some digging, but I found a good deal on these still in plastic -- I wanted the non-hammerhead tip shape.

I skied all day on my FIS SLs. These feel soft in comparison. :)

Griffons or Pivots?

View attachment 124264
It’s a Head....why not a Tyrolia?......Attack13/16 great combo for a Monster......Jonny Head would roll over in his grave if you put a Marker Griffon on those......lol..

Sponsor

Staff online