• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Never-Ending Atomic Ski Boot Discussion

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm sure you're putting on the boot as I described above though, then it's easy ;)

Warm boots, tongue to the side, two hands open left and right part of the cuff simultaneously.

10-20 seconds per boot, fully buckled and ready to go.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Something is wrong here,how come this got separated from the main Never-ending Atomic ski boots? Why do we have two threads?

@Tricia , @Philpug

1709930823702.gif

Vinnie

Getting on the lift
Skier
First day with shock stopper in my Hawx Ultra 120s boots. Conditions were firm and cut up so great time to test how they work. They definitely improve the shock absorption of the boot. More than marginal, less than transformational.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
merged.

freeskier1961

still aspiring
Skier
What in degrees does the spoiler add when inserted with Atomic XTD boots? and Patriot strap (inside)?

BlueGrin

Getting on the lift
Skier
If people are working on their own boots, bikes, cars, etc. I think you should own proper tools. Now, if someone wants to replicate the above, they need: a 3mm hex, Pozi 2, Torx 30 and a (adjustable) pin spanner (Park Tool sells one which is great).
Hi, Do you happen to know the size of the pin spanner (specifically for an old set of LiveFit 120's, if that makes a difference)? Thanks!

saboteur

Booting up
Skier
I know my boot canting angles from other assessments. Which shop in Western USA (Tahoe, Whistler, Utah, CO) has the canting shims for Hawk Ultra boots?

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
I know my boot canting angles from other assessments. Which shop in Western USA (Tahoe, Whistler, Utah, CO) has the canting shims for Hawk Ultra boots?
Unfortunately I am unsure which shops stock them, it's going to be a bit of calling game, but I would start with A Racer's Edge in Breckenridge, CO.

General Sole Canting PSA - just because a previous assessment in a previous boot yielded a certain result, it does not mean you should skip an assessment on this boot (if it is a new boot to you). Hawx boots have different angles than RS, Shadow, Raptor, Speedmachine, etc. and if you are 1.0° out in a Head Raptor, it does not mean you will be 1.0° out in a Hawx Ultra. If the Hawx Ultra is a new boot to you and you have not had an assessment done with this specific boot, and you buy a canting shim set based on what a different boot was set up for, then you will most likely have the wrong set up.

surfski

Putting on skis
Skier
with the mimic liner is the foam of the liner as firm as previous injected liners ?
does the mimic part aid in holding the foot accurately in place for the injected heel area ?
Is the full foam injected liner still the best for close precise fit ?

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
with the mimic liner is the foam of the liner as firm as previous injected liners ?
does the mimic part aid in holding the foot accurately in place for the injected heel area ?
Is the full foam injected liner still the best for close precise fit ?
First - Mimic liners vs. Mimic Professional liners. Regular Mimic liners are not foam injected, Mimic Professional is foam injected.

The foam in Mimic Professional is a little softer than traditional bottle foam. But Mimic Professional is used in World Cup racing and is 1:1 the same that is commercially available to you.

Mimic material (a heat moldable plastic) is located towards the outermost layer of the liner, close to the shell. It's purpose is to capture the shape of the your anatomy and be a powerful interface to the shell.

In my opinion, foam injected liners provide the most precise fit. Mimic Professional locks the mid and rear foot in place while providing toe space. Full Foam (traditional bottle foam) liners have the foam going all the way up to the stretch toe box. If you're looking for the tightest, most precise fit, go the Full Foam route.

arildGFB

Putting on skis
Skier
Struggled a bit with heel hold going both up and skiing down with my backland XTDs, but reversed the green plastic ladder strap(essentially turning it upside down, see attached picture), and it's so much better. More pressure over the navicular, but pretty roomy still, so no discomfort. Have about ten touring days out on them. Ftr, 274/278mm feet, in 27.5 boots. Usually ski 26.5s in "real" boots, so these are a very comfortable performance fit. Added L-shims and donuts on the liners to remove some space.

Ski feel is really impressive for how light these boots are. They're paired with my Heritage lab c90 protos, super stiff and decently light, and have no issues driving them. Very close to Lupo Pros, skiing, which is pretty impressive. Abundantly better to go uphill with.

Set at 13° forward lean on atk FR14s with toe shims,the stance is pretty similar to wcr140s on pivots, no real adjustment needed.

I don't think they're intended to breathe much, as in, they are really water proof. Condensation after a few hours out is enough for me to have to air them out overnight. Gaiter area seems to be holding up well. Very, very warm.

Before these, I hadn't really ventured into light touring boots, but they are as comfortable wearing all day as a high end Backcountry XC boot, which given all the plastic involved is pretty awesome.

If they fit you, buy! I see them on sale all over Norway.

Edited to add that I indeed have professional dual straps on them, which doesn't do all that much, since I really can't get them next to the tongue, but they can be cranked down a bit harder than the stock straps, and that's a good thing for flex progression.

Attachments

• IMG20240330132900.jpg
    IMG20240330132900.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 34

sullywhacker

Booting up
Skier
First - Mimic liners vs. Mimic Professional liners. Regular Mimic liners are not foam injected, Mimic Professional is foam injected.

The foam in Mimic Professional is a little softer than traditional bottle foam. But Mimic Professional is used in World Cup racing and is 1:1 the same that is commercially available to you.

Mimic material (a heat moldable plastic) is located towards the outermost layer of the liner, close to the shell. It's purpose is to capture the shape of the your anatomy and be a powerful interface to the shell.

In my opinion, foam injected liners provide the most precise fit. Mimic Professional locks the mid and rear foot in place while providing toe space. Full Foam (traditional bottle foam) liners have the foam going all the way up to the stretch toe box. If you're looking for the tightest, most precise fit, go the Full Foam route.
This year, at Matt's suggestion, I replaced my "regular" Mimic Platinum liner in Hawx Ultra 120 S with a Professional liner. Harry at Steamboat Ski and Bike did the foam fitting, MJ and Brian tweaked it over the following two months (heel lifts, "tunnels" for the tongue). Best single purchase I have made in my 50+ years of skiing - firm "enveloping" locked-in fit with zero pressure points for 40 days and counting - honestly (and humbly) allowed me to ski the trees and bumps like it was 20 years ago.

arildGFB

Putting on skis
Skier
This year, at Matt's suggestion, I replaced my "regular" Mimic Platinum liner in Hawx Ultra 120 S with a Professional liner. Harry at Steamboat Ski and Bike did the foam fitting, MJ and Brian tweaked it over the following two months (heel lifts, "tunnels" for the tongue). Best single purchase I have made in my 50+ years of skiing - firm "enveloping" locked-in fit with zero pressure points for 40 days and counting - honestly (and humbly) allowed me to ski the trees and bumps like it was 20 years ago.
With how nice the mimic platinum liners in the xtds feel, I'm really thinking about professional liners in whichever boots I end up in next.

Sponsor