• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Never-Ending Faction Discussion

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Finaly, tomorrow will be season premier ⛷️
my CT1.0 have a new 1-3 tune and im like a kid before christmas
Lets us know what you think!
Glad to hear you got them freshly tuned as well. As I’ve said multiple times before, the only lukewarm reviews on any 21 CT skis there was something up with the factory tune. Also run 1/3 edge angles on all my CT skis and they are perfect.

Let them run and you will smile like a kid who just opened a new PS5 on Christmas!

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Have an extra pair of Faction Prodigy 1 178cm skis that I got for a friend when we didn’t think we could find another set of 21 CT 1.0 178cm. Of course we a found a set 1 month after purchasing.
Had a couple people interested in them from an online ad I just put in but the one purchaser would be better suited to the 183cm CT 1.0 for his size. Remembered I had an extra set unspoken for along with 2 sets of yellow Attack 13 bindings that I swapped off my skis for Attack 16 and 17s.

So tomorrow morning on the way to the ski hill where I will ski my own CT 1.0, I’m going to first meet the CT 1.0/Used Attack 13 buyer first and then go to the Prodigy/Used Attack 13 buyer who is 4 mins away.
Should be in the hill in plenty of time for opening bell with more money in my pocket and 2 more additions to the Faction cult! :cool:

Hamburglar789

Booting up
Skier
Got my 190 2021 CT 3.0’s thanks to Greg and Anders’ advice! Thanks again, guys. Now it’s time to decide on which bindings to mount… Should I go classy or crazy?

Attachments

• 40899C4D-6E78-4CAB-B880-671B035C8358.jpeg
    40899C4D-6E78-4CAB-B880-671B035C8358.jpeg
    302.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 2FB6B79C-C0C7-4C5A-BFEB-B699DAD675B4.jpeg
    2FB6B79C-C0C7-4C5A-BFEB-B699DAD675B4.jpeg
    268.2 KB · Views: 36

EG-NJ

Putting on skis
Skier
It almost sounds like more work doing what you are doing than just getting a tool or two and touching up your side edges after 2-3 days. You don't have to get very detailed or spend much time to get your "sharp" back on. I do your thing with switching skis, but mostly its morning versus afternoon runs, or day 1 vs day 2. Just a friendly suggestion. Whatever works for you.
Thanks, I'll look into it.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I was able to get a few untracked runs early this morning, and then a bunch in the choppy chowder with old bumps underneath.
I thought I would be at a disadvantage in the powder and need more width but the skis performed fine. They are proving to be a decent all mountain ski for me.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Had my CT 1.0 out today on softer groomers that turned to crud and then refroze a bit in the afternoon. Handled it quite well although I do notice the heavier and wider CT 2.0(especially the 188cm length) handled similar conditions on Monday and Tuesday even better.

Christer_S

Booting up
Skier
Lets us know what you think!
Glad to hear you got them freshly tuned as well. As I’ve said multiple times before, the only lukewarm reviews on any 21 CT skis there was something up with the factory tune. Also run 1/3 edge angles on all my CT skis and they are perfect.

Let them run and you will smile like a kid who just opened a new PS5 on Christmas!
They worked good, the conditions was horrible, fog and snowfall so cant really tell if theres any difference, the factory tune was very good on these but maybe a hair better edgegrip,
There was also a skitest so the wife is soon a Faction skier as well ;), her favourite was ................. MANA2 178cm so had to order them right away :ogbiggrin: she tested the 173cm also but prefered the 178 because a little more stability but still very easy turning
I tested MANA2 183cm but they had very poor edgegrip compared to my CT1.0 so maybe the tune was off, didnt check, otherwise no complains, goodstability, easy turning, still fairly quiet compared to most other skis i tested but not as quiet as 2021 CT1.0, didnt really notice it to be stiffer than the 2021 CT:s as it looks like if you compare them on SoothSki, they still have a very round flex that i love
I find 2 other skis that i liked, i have been in search for some shortturn skis to use on smaller hills and tested Völkl Racetiger SL 170cm, they had very good EDGE grip but you probably dont want it on the very beatup groomers !
The other one was BlackCrows Mirus Cor 178cm, Such a fun ski !, much more forgiving than the Völkl and not the same raceski edgegrip but not bad by any means and was much better than ecpected (because its fairly soft) later on the afternoon when the groomers start to beat up, gonna chat with Santa, probably need it for christmas :ogbiggrin:

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
There was also a skitest so the wife is soon a Faction skier as well ;), her favourite was ................. MANA2 178cm so had to order them right away :ogbiggrin: she tested the 173cm also but prefered the 178 because a little more stability but still very easy turning
I tested MANA2 183cm but they had very poor edgegrip compared to my CT1.0 so maybe the tune was off, didnt check, otherwise no complains, goodstability, easy turning, still fairly quiet compared to most other skis i tested but not as quiet as 2021 CT1.0, didnt really notice it to be stiffer than the 2021 CT:s as it looks like if you compare them on SoothSki, they still have a very round flex that i love
Another new Faction fan! Good to hear she liked the Mana 2. Exact same shape as the 21 CT 2.0 but without the rubber damping and carbon weave underfoot instead of the bottom titanal sheet. Just a hair stiffer longitudinal but softer torsionally.
So as you noted, a similar feel but not as damp or as quiet on the snow.

The 2.0 has just a bit more taper so it’s edge grip should be fairly close to the 1.0 as it is with my 21 versions.

Good luck with Santa on the other fun skis too! He can be a great fan of new skis I find…..haha

EP4O

Putting on skis
Skier
Did 1 run on the 2.0 today, felt strange but really solid. They opened up new terrain today and it was 2 feet of glory so not the day for the 2.0's. Had a blast on my MB108's but wish I would have brought the big guns, none of us were prepared for those kind of conditions. Gonna be some sore bodies tomorrow.

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
Tried the 184 3.0s (5'10" 185lbs) today for the first time at Alpine. Initial impressions were that the Black Ops 118 is still more damp and stable but these things aren't too bad at all! They do seem to have minimum speed limit/require some speed to come alive but once you gas it boy....l can see why these are Candide's skis. Was going down some bump runs and messed up my line which resulted in me gaining more speed than expected. I initially tried to lose some of the speed but realized it was too late so I just "hung on". It was the most terrifying yet most exhilarating 10 seconds of skiing I have ever had haha. I just kept my form and the skis got me down the hill :D

Will say that for a 110mm+ ski, these were pretty easy to swing around in the bumps. They definitely didn't feel that as wide as I thought they would. Eager to get more time on them but may bust out the Black Ops 118 tomorrow as opensnow is calling for 6-10 inches of snow in the morning and some more in the afternoon.

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@GregK when skiing moguls on your CT 1,0 where do you like your boot center and how do you typically like to ski moguls (zipper line, round smooth line, fast carving, etc)? Looking for a starting point. Thanks!

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
@GregK when skiing moguls on your CT 1,0 where do you like your boot center and how do you typically like to ski moguls (zipper line, round smooth line, fast carving, etc)? Looking for a starting point. Thanks!
I’m usually a black or zipper line mogul skier if that’s possible but would vary into blue if the bumps or conditions make fast lines unsafe.

Regardless of the type or speed of bump skier you are, a ski like the CT 1.0 are easier to pivot(even on the top of the bump), they are less catchy in troughs or heavy snow and their forgiving underfoot flex pattern let you recover easier if you find yourself ever getting in the backseat. Twin tip skis are great for those starting to venture into the bumps for the first time. Very confidence inspiring.

Even the 112mm wide CT 3.0 is shockingly good in bumps if the troughs aren’t too narrow and refrozen. A blast in Spring moguls!

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Did 1 run on the 2.0 today, felt strange but really solid. They opened up new terrain today and it was 2 feet of glory so not the day for the 2.0's. Had a blast on my MB108's but wish I would have brought the big guns, none of us were prepared for those kind of conditions. Gonna be some sore bodies tomorrow.
Sounds more like a Reckoner 122 or CT 5.0 type of day!
What resort were you at? Didn’t know any Canadian resorts that got a large snowfall this week.

EP4O

Putting on skis
Skier
Sounds more like a Reckoner 122 or CT 5.0 type of day!
What resort were you at? Didn’t know any Canadian resorts that got a large snowfall this week.
Silverstar, it was more a case of getting into areas of the resort nobody has been in this season. Though it did snow a decent amount last week as well.

Sponsor

Staff online