• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
I got it last season. I tried putting it in a silicone container in hot water, but no go. I don‘t have a heat gun or hair dryer. Maybe I’ll put it in my heated boot bag tomorrow morning when I‘m getting ready to go skiing and see if that works better.
You need to heat the tube only and not the plunger. Try running it under hot water like a stuck jar lid.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You need to heat the tube only and not the plunger. Try running it under hot water like a stuck jar lid.
The plunger is stuck in the tube. It finally occurred to me that I might be able to push the plunger out the other way, rather than trying to pull it, but I haven’t tried that yet.

David

Skier
The plunger is stuck in the tube. It finally occurred to me that I might be able to push the plunger out the other way, rather than trying to pull it, but I haven’t tried that yet.
That's why I'm thinking hot water may work. It'll warm up the outside tube first like a bottle cap/lid on a plastic bottle.

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
how old is your plunger..... zipfit have recently changed the diameter of the cork tubes, by just enough that the old plungers don't work, currently i have cork but no plunger as that along with some stock liners are stuck in customs

so if you have an older plunger and recent cork tubes you may need a new plunger

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier

Oh, what does your plunger look like? Does it look like a wooden mallet (mine does)?

Doublegreen

Putting on skis
Skier
Funny enough I have the new plunger that I got stuck old cork tubes. I was using a wood dowel from the hardware store that was a little smaller diameter, never had an issue with that $3 piece of wood.

Heat, heat, and more heat and a vice to get it out.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I got an email from Zipfit. OMFit was back in stock (as of 3/26). Two tubes and the plunger for $40.

David

Skier
I got an email from Zipfit. OMFit was back in stock (as of 3/26). Two tubes and the plunger for $40.
I looked on Monday and it was out so I signed up for the notification when it was back in stock. I was boared at work yesterday so I went in to see what else I wanted and it didn't show as out of stock so I ordered mine. I'm new to Zip's so hope I'm set for next winter now.

Yarecki

Putting on skis
Skier
That's why I'm thinking hot water may work. It'll warm up the outside tube first like a bottle cap/lid on a plastic bottle.

This is exactly what you should do. I’ve had a plunger stuck in a tube number of times, and this always worked.

skt07

Booting up
Skier
I’ll start by saying that I ordered a 25.5 Gara LV after checking them out and discussing in store. They didn’t have my size at the store I visited so we ordered them for delivery to my home from their other location. I’m comfortable doing the fitting myself at home and also picked up some extra Omfit tubes just in case.

The Zipfits will be doing double duty in my 25.5 Hawx Ultra 130 and 25.5 Hawx Ultra XTD 130. I ski in two places and have one pair of boots at each - I don’t mind taking the Zipfits back and forth with me on the plane at least for now. I figure the shells are similar enough for me to swap the Zipfits back and forth easily. Both boots fit and perform great for me and are fine with the stock liner, but the stated benefits of Zipfit intrigued me enough to give them a go.

I then scanned through all 121 pages here which has been very informative. Thank you to everyone who has contributed, especially Noodler!

I’m now trying to confirm my understanding of the differences in the current model lineup on the Zipfit website. In particular I’m wondering if the Workhorse might be a better choice for me, since most seem to agree that the leather lining is a step up in performance and it has extra Omfit that can be removed and saved if too much.

My main concern with the Workhorse is the fluted cuff. I don’t have big or low set calves so I’m worried the fluted cuff will provide too much space and looseness around my calves. I’m happy with the cuff situation of my stock Hawx liners and I don’t think they are “fluted”.

Another leather alternative is the World Cup Sidewinder, but I’m not very interested in the Sidewinder, especially for my application in the Ultra XTD.

Now onto my understanding of the current Zipfit lineup:

Workhorse is a leather version of the Freeride.

Freeride is the same as a Gara HV, but with a fluted cuff.

Gara HV is the same as the Gara LV, but with more Omfit

World Cup Sidewinder is the same as Gara LV, but with leather and the sidewinder panel.

GFT is the same as Gara LV, but with some touring specific features.

Corsa is unique.

So the conclusion I came to is that if I want leather and no Sidewinder, and I’m willing to remove Omfit, the closest option to the Gara LV is the Workhorse, except it has the fluted cuff.

Anyone have any opinion on the effect of the fluted cuff, especially if you only have regular sized calves?

Thanks!

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ll start by saying that I ordered a 25.5 Gara LV after checking them out and discussing in store. They didn’t have my size at the store I visited so we ordered them for delivery to my home from their other location. I’m comfortable doing the fitting myself at home and also picked up some extra Omfit tubes just in case.

The Zipfits will be doing double duty in my 25.5 Hawx Ultra 130 and 25.5 Hawx Ultra XTD 130. I ski in two places and have one pair of boots at each - I don’t mind taking the Zipfits back and forth with me on the plane at least for now. I figure the shells are similar enough for me to swap the Zipfits back and forth easily. Both boots fit and perform great for me and are fine with the stock liner, but the stated benefits of Zipfit intrigued me enough to give them a go.

I then scanned through all 121 pages here which has been very informative. Thank you to everyone who has contributed, especially Noodler!

I’m now trying to confirm my understanding of the differences in the current model lineup on the Zipfit website. In particular I’m wondering if the Workhorse might be a better choice for me, since most seem to agree that the leather lining is a step up in performance and it has extra Omfit that can be removed and saved if too much.

My main concern with the Workhorse is the fluted cuff. I don’t have big or low set calves so I’m worried the fluted cuff will provide too much space and looseness around my calves. I’m happy with the cuff situation of my stock Hawx liners and I don’t think they are “fluted”.

Another leather alternative is the World Cup Sidewinder, but I’m not very interested in the Sidewinder, especially for my application in the Ultra XTD.

World Cup Sidewinder is the same as Gara LV, but with leather and the sidewinder panel.

Corsa is unique.

So the conclusion I came to is that if I want leather and no Sidewinder, and I’m willing to remove Omfit, the closest option to the Gara LV is the Workhorse, except it has the fluted cuff.

Anyone have any opinion on the effect of the fluted cuff, especially if you only have regular sized calves?

Thanks!
I would understand this post better if it weren't for the first paragraph. The first paragraph says, essentially, "I bought the Gara LVs." The rest of the post is "Which ZipFit model should I get?" :huh:

skt07

Booting up
Skier
I would understand this post better if it weren't for the first paragraph. The first paragraph says, essentially, "I bought the Gara LVs." The rest of the post is "Which ZipFit model should I get?" :huh:
Sorry, I’m considering exchanging the Gara LV for the workhorse.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
Sorry, I’m considering exchanging the Gara LV for the workhorse.
I own an earlier full leather version, I think it’s called the World Cup (it’s in Noodler’s photos pretty regularly as his “before” liner, the mainly blue ones, or as an example of a leather liner) and a Gara. They’re both excellent. I really wouldn’t stress over the differences beteeen the leather and non-leather liner. Since I ski them at different times I haven’t done a side by side comparison but to be honest I’ve never been conscious of a notable difference in performance.

James

Out There
Instructor
You might find the leather annoying. You really have to open the liner up to get your foot out. If you tolerate the annoyance of putting on compressive socks like Smart wool phd, you’ll be fine.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier

Corsa is unique.

Thanks!

This is a nice analysis of the current line-up (and how crazy some of the design choices are). They really need a complete revamp of the line-up so that it's consistent, provides good options, and avoids overlaps. The fluted rear cuff on ANYTHING except a touring liner is one of the more bizarre design choices.

Doublegreen

Putting on skis
Skier
The fluted cuff has its purpose. Low set calves, yes, but the Freeride is for, well, freeriders who want forgiveness on hard landings. The Workhorse is fluted for people (patrol) standing around in their boots and don’t want to pushed forward while standing.

Sponsor

Staff online