• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Thinking about a Roomba

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Before anyone starts getting nasty, I know this is wrong and will pay dearly.......Why I have a wife?
:duck:

BTW this is meant as a joke, I know better.
I LOL'd
But really, I AM the wife and I just don't feel like I can keep up with the dust and dog hair.
I am amazed at how well he cleans up the areas that I just can't reach, like under the bed.

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I bought one 2013, and it was pretty much useless on dog fur. The small collection ben was a joke. I furminate my dog quite often, amazing how much fur I pull off her. I was thinking about keeping the fur and maybe start my own business stuffing mattresses and pillows. Her fur is so soft it has got to be worth something.

2DE5D312-043A-4A08-9EED-DEE720FBF1B9.jpeg

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I bought one 2013, and it was pretty much useless on dog fur. The small collection ben was a joke. I furminate my dog quite often, amazing how much fur I pull off her. I was thinking about keeping the fur and maybe start my own business stuffing mattresses and pillows. Her fur is so soft it has got to be worth something.

View attachment 143769
My old girl sheds so much I can't believe she's not bald! Those double coats are really something.

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I ended up giving my 2013 roomba away to goodwill, but one thing I really liked about it is that it would never knock over my beer. It would go right around it.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I ended up giving my 2013 roomba away to goodwill, but one thing I really liked about it is that it would never knock over my beer. It would go right around it.
Why was your Roomba on the table?:roflmao:

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Well, I deleted my downstairs smart map, and had Charles "discover" the area again. This seems to have solved the app crashing issue. Now I can again program the specific cleanup zones-- like, under the dining table!

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier

View attachment 143769
My Roomba works great on my Golden Retriever undercoat.

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Why was your Roomba on the table?:roflmao:
Well table not always close to the chair when you got people over watching football, got to put my beer on the floor sometimes. Plus I liked to show my freinds how it won't knock my beer over.

But I really don't need a cleaning robot, my wife is like a cleaning robot. That is one of the reasons I married her, she is like the energizer bunny. Only problem with this is that I'm not like her, so when she cleans, she gives me an earfull as she cleans, and I take it like a man. Its been like this forever, my girl Molly, RIP Nov 17, 2015, pic below, my wife complained every time she cleaned the house "Molly's damn hair!"....She would sweep all her hair into a big pile in the living room, call me in there and say "Look at that, this is your dogs hair!", and just let me have it, it was like my punishment for not cleaning, I had to just take it, accept her like that, I can't expect her to be perfect. Well, this is true story ya'll, about 2 weeks or so after Molly passed, my wife is cleaning, I'm in the other room, and I hear her just break out into a big cry, I'm like OMG, her sister called her and told her that their mom has died, something really terrible has happen. I rush in there and I see her booohooo'n away crying, I try and calm her "what happend" I ask her, sobbing away she holds out her hand and says "I just found some of Molly's hair, booohooo.." she starts crying again. I'm like oh gezzz don't do that to me again. :roflmao:

IMG_4066.JPG

Last edited:
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Well, I deleted my downstairs smart map, and had Charles "discover" the area again. This seems to have solved the app crashing issue. Now I can again program the specific cleanup zones-- like, under the dining table!

I was wondering how you were doing with your glitch. I've had no issues wiht Dusty at all. The only issue I did have was when I accidently set it to Living Room and Laundry area one day and later wanted to do the whole main floor but forgot to set it to Vacuum Everything.
That is user error.

Still amazed at what this little bugger will pick up.

View attachment 143769
It was probably the model you got.
@Andy Mink posted earlier in this thread that his was only "okay".

I was pretty much sold on getting the one I got the minute @Sibhusky told me that it did great with her two Siberian Huskies!.
I have not been disappointed one bit.

Here's a question for Sibhusky, since you have to massively shedding dogs.
The website says that the +tower will hold up to 6 weeks of debris. How long do vacuum bags last you?

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I am a cheapskate, as I may have mentioned. I don't have the self-emptying kind. I dump the bin by myself.

Today being a Saturday when I pick up all the dog beds and the ottoman and waste baskets and bath mats and entrance way rug and open all the closets, and move arm chairs aside, etc.etc. and Clean Everywhere, it was 3 bins. I chase the Roomba to interrupt it on its return to base to empty and change the bin mid dash so it continues cleaning without the return to base. Nuki is ending his shed cycle, so things are easing off. I've also changed the # of passes to "daily" which is only a single pass. I had been doing the pass by room size but that setting (new-ish) seems stupid. My dirtiest rooms are my large rooms not my small rooms. (I can compensate for the "single pass" by doing for instance Dining Room, followed by a clean zone called Dining Table, to get extra passes during the worst shedding periods.) When one of them is in full on shed I can flip that to 2 passes again, but we're just starting a lull. I realized that I wasn't dumping near the volume every day that I had been.

Pana will probably be starting in a month, although she is 14 now and we are giving her zinc and melatonin trying to maintain her coat. She is a "woolly" which means extra long-haired double coat which if I wasn't picking up as I see them would be like an entire Kleenex being sucked in, instantly requiring a return to base. Chunks are fine, but not the massive things she can drop. Nuki has a standard Siberian coat, very, very dense but the guard hairs are about 1/3 the length of Pana's.
photo_1562445825005.jpg

Typical floor pre-Roomba:
IMG_20150826_185934-01-01.jpeg

IMG_20200808_224431.jpg

Last edited:
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Lots of these items going on special for the holidays.

BB has a one day on a Shark that has decent reviews:

Shark IQ Robot Self-Empty™ XL UR1005AE.​

$344.99Your price for this item is $344.99
Save $155Was $499.99The previous price was $499.99

edit:

adding the discounted one with Lidar ... extra $150

Last edited:

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Lots of these items going on special for the holidays.

BB has a one day on a Shark that has decent reviews:

Shark IQ Robot Self-Empty™ XL UR1005AE.​

$344.99Your price for this item is $344.99
Save $155Was $499.99The previous price was $499.99

I'm honestly quite disappointed that the Shark robot vacuum doesn't have fins. I love my shark "stick" vacuum but I really feel like this is a missed marketing opportunity. :roflmao:

Last edited:

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I am a cheapskate, as I may have mentioned. I don't have the self-emptying kind. I dump the bin by myself.

Today being a Saturday when I pick up all the dog beds and the ottoman and waste baskets and bath mats and entrance way rug and open all the closets, and move arm chairs aside, etc.etc. and Clean Everywhere, it was 3 bins. I chase the Roomba to interrupt it on its return to base to empty and change the bin mid dash so it continues cleaning without the return to base. Nuki is ending his shed cycle, so things are easing off. I've also changed the # of passes to "daily" which is only a single pass. I had been doing the pass by room size but that setting (new-ish) seems stupid. My dirtiest rooms are my large rooms not my small rooms. (I can compensate for the "single pass" by doing for instance Dining Room, followed by a clean zone called Dining Table, to get extra passes during the worst shedding periods.) When one of them is in full on shed I can flip that to 2 passes again, but we're just starting a lull. I realized that I wasn't dumping near the volume every day that I had been.

Pana will probably be starting in a month, although she is 14 now and we are giving her zinc and melatonin trying to maintain her coat. She is a "woolly" which means extra long-haired double coat which if I wasn't picking up as I see them would be like an entire Kleenex being sucked in, instantly requiring a return to base. Chunks are fine, but not the massive things she can drop. Nuki has a standard Siberian coat, very, very dense but the guard hairs are about 1/3 the length of Pana's.
View attachment 143855

Typical floor pre-Roomba:
View attachment 143856
View attachment 143857
Oh god..I'm having hair-tumble-weed flashbacks... :geek::roflmao:

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We have a roborock 5. We like the robot but not so much the MiHome app. I don't find it particularly intuitive. YMMV

I can't speak to the dog hair stuff but it does a decent job on our floors and carpet. It has a mop function but I only used it once. Not so great.

What I like about it is
1. I can set it to run in the main living space in the middle of the night every night.
2. I can set no go zones to keep it off of delicate stuff.
3. It does a good job

What I don't like about it is
1. You have remember to organize the space before it runs... no shoes left under the couch and such.
2.you still need to use a real vacuum every so often. It does ok but not super.
3. You have to empty the little dust bin and knock the dust off the filters every single day. I am amazed at how much dust accumulated every day
4. You need to replace the filters fairly often.

Sponsor

Staff online