• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

This forum needs a cheese thread

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
We have an artisan cheese company north of town. They are adding anything to cheese. Maple syrup, horseradish, Mediterranean spices, pesto, hot peppers, but I've never seen blueberries. Have to mention that to Keith.

Those are all pretty easy to enjoy. One thing that was not easy (for me at least) is flower buds in cheese. Specifically loroco. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fernaldia_pandurata

They're super-mild and not spicy. But the taste is just so far off from any northern taste that it starts throwing you for a loop by the 3rd-4th slice.

But can you relate to a cheese drawer? Ignore the Brie(not real cheese :) )

Sort of - the 1800g of Bulgarian sheep's cheese and the Manchego wheel don't fit in the drawer. And I say sort of because those are all for herself.
IMG_20210511_125125.jpg

Last edited:

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
In the fall keep an eye out at Trader Joe's for Green Chili Gouda. I got it this past September, and am hoping it is a yearly seasonal offering. A good pre-season way to get ready for Taos.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
At least there is a very strong chance you have Midwest cheese there.

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
At least there is a very strong chance you have Midwest cheese there.

Maybe - the supply here is mostly NY and VT but the top-shelf commodity cheese is often WI or MI. Top-shelf premium cheese is from all over including TX. But the pic is missing Brie and Camembert and Taleggio and Pepato and Fontina and Gouda, let alone Grayson or Humboldt Fog *sigh*

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
I eat/drink lots of all manner of dairy however am no cheese connoisseur. But there is one expensive cheese product below have an addiction for. ($14/lb) Tend to eat it by nibbling since it is so expensive. Strong cheese taste. It began years ago when I researched cheeses that last a long time at room temperature in order to bring something along for longer backpacking trips. Most such cheeses are aged European cheeses from pre-refrigeration eras.

30d3d2c8-fed6-42f0-9cd9-f93d27d36c0e_1.461ef9bd067ad7ba45a8dec28c10e53c.jpeg

James

Out There
Instructor
Anyone try Cobb Hill cheeses?

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Sidetrack: How is Yuengling regarded down there? I found it not bad..
It's not the best beer around, but it isn't the worse. I like it because it is an amber lager without a heavy filling. So people understand it better in Wisconsin, I say it is like Busch, but better tasting. We use Busch and Busch Light as water here.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
It's not the best beer around, but it isn't the worse. I like it because it is an amber lager without a heavy filling. So people understand it better in Wisconsin, I say it is like Busch, but better tasting. We use Busch and Busch Light as water here.
I find it a little disgraceful to associate Yeungling with Busch, even if it's a positive comparison. :ogbiggrin:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
We have an artisan cheese company north of town. They are adding anything to cheese. Maple syrup, horseradish, Mediterranean spices, pesto, hot peppers, but I've never seen blueberries. Have to mention that to Keith.
:nono:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
View attachment 133584
Are they required by State law to put the “plant #” on the front label?
Jilly mentioned cheese that was (allegedly) "artisanal." This cheese has "Plant #,'" "Wholesale," and "Industrial Drive" all on the front label. Apparently they have not discovered the marketing value of "artisanal" yet.

Compare my favorite local cheese lady's packaging:
1620833449714.png

James

Out There
Instructor
Jilly mentioned cheese that was (allegedly) "artisanal."
I found out from my friends in Paris thst “artisanal” in France can have an equally worthless meaning. Which is was pretty appalling.

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I found out from my friends in Paris thst “artisanal” in France can have an equally worthless meaning. Which is was pretty appalling.

Why? It's a banal marketing word.

If you know who made it and how, good for you. If you don't, then it's a modern commodity just like all the others.

Does France still have laws on cow species and origin? To resist the Anglo & Dutch cow genetics? At one point they were like the only Euro source of A-2 milk.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online