• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

This forum needs a cheese thread

James

Out There
Instructor
Why? It's a banal marketing word.
It’s actually a classification in France. Though it doesn’t necessarily mean what we think.
Don’t know about the cows, Norway has laws protecting against cow abuse I believe.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
It’s actually a classification in France. Though it doesn’t necessarily mean what we think.
Don’t know about the cows, Norway has laws protecting against cow abuse I believe.
Have you ever played the Wikipedia game, where you see how short a chain of links you can find, from one subject to another totally unrelated subject, all within Wikipedia? Like you start at the "banana" article, and find links that get you to "Sherman tank". (FWIW, I found Banana->Australia->Bombing of Darwin->World War II->Tanks in WWII->M4 Sherman)

That came to mind here, with cheese->artisanal definition->French food laws->cow type laws->Norwegian anti-cow-abuse

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Have you ever played the Wikipedia game, where you see how short a chain of links you can find, from one subject to another totally unrelated subject, all within Wikipedia? Like you start at the "banana" article, and find links that get you to "Sherman tank". (FWIW, I found Banana->Australia->Bombing of Darwin->World War II->Tanks in WWII->M4 Sherman)

That came to mind here, with cheese->artisanal definition->French food laws->cow type laws->Norwegian anti-cow-abuse

Just for shits, I will point out that most european countries did enormous levels of livestock replacement after WWI and WWII - they had to - and the replacement animals very much included bovine stock that carried the A1 casein gene. Does that round the circle for ya ?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Officially summer on SkiTalk.

James

Out There
Instructor
Just for shits, I will point out that most european countries did enormous levels of livestock replacement after WWI and WWII - they had to - and the replacement animals very much included bovine stock that carried the A1 casein gene. Does that round the circle for ya ?
And with receding glaciers in Italy they’re finding mountain bases from WWI. They wish they had had bovines up there to eat.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Aw.. what the Heck

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Back on topic. A nice little triple cream from a local farm. Bloom rind, cave aged. Grass feed cows. Deep rich luscious flavor. You can taste the field, or as they say the terroir as the French say.

1621288175925.png

1621288306361.png

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
What the F is that?
It says it right on the box... "Recipe Cheese Product". :P

I used to love that stuff when I was little. Now in many years, I've only had it in Rotel dip, which is surprisingly good.

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Herself's notes:

Milder than you would think. Much creamier than you would think. Anyone who ever thought putting peppers in cheese is interesting idea should try this stuff. Strong but smooth in a Head Monster sort of way. The cheddar itself is somewhere between an Adirondack and a Tillamook style - don't expect any salt nuggets or lactate crystals.

IMG_20210616_104848.jpg

Last edited:

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
My traveling cheese's
Screen Shot 2021-06-28 at 4.15.31 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-06-28 at 4.16.31 PM.png

Sponsor

Staff online