• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

WV RVA Skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
Pics from today. Time to start planning your winter trips. I hope we get alot of natural snow but if we get cold temps they are going to blast the slopes in epic fashion.
IMG_7032.jpg IMG_7034.jpg IMG_7042.jpg IMG_7167.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

WV RVA Skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
If it happens, it will be after everything else is ready. Electricity is already there because of snow making. It wont take much effort but not a hugh priority this offseason. Years ago it didnt seem like we had alot of night skiers. Was that because of poor lighting or lack of interest? It seemed like alot of boyscouts pushing past when they should have given up for the day:)

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
If it happens, it will be after everything else is ready. Electricity is already there because of snow making. It wont take much effort but not a hugh priority this offseason. Years ago it didnt seem like we had alot of night skiers. Was that because of poor lighting or lack of interest? It seemed like alot of boyscouts pushing past when they should have given up for the day:)

I personally love night skiing at Timberline. It’s great to drive up in the afternoon and still be able to get a few turns in before going to bed. Skiing at the mountain during sunset is a special experience. Unlike resorts closer to DC, the snow at Timberline is generally still skiable into the night. If it starts snowing, that’s even more special—powder for dinner.

WV RVA Skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'd like Friday night skiing. It would be great to take a few runs after arriving friday evening. Saturday night my legs are toast so I probably wouldnt participate.

RickH

Snow Much Fun
Skier

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
I personally love night skiing at Timberline. It’s great to drive up in the afternoon and still be able to get a few turns in before going to bed. Skiing at the mountain during sunset is a special experience. Unlike resorts closer to DC, the snow at Timberline is generally still skiable into the night. If it starts snowing, that’s even more special—powder for dinner.
What trails are lit for night skiing? I have never actually skied TL at night so it is never something I have paid attention to. But it looks like this year a typical pattern will be for me to arrive Saturday afternoon and ski on Sunday, so I would like to get some turns Saturday evening as well.

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
What trails are lit for night skiing? I have never actually skied TL at night so it is never something I have paid attention to. But it looks like this year a typical pattern will be for me to arrive Saturday afternoon and ski on Sunday, so I would like to get some turns Saturday evening as well.

I recall skiing White Lightning at night but a search through old trail maps reveals little information about trails that were lit for night skiing. One issue I remember was Salamander. Because the top of that trail sits on National Wilderness land, it could not be lit. This was an issue for North Face owners who wanted night trail access to their houses. I am hoping the new owners can get a special permit to light Sally.

I typically skied Saturday nights and it was wonderful—no crowds.

RickH

Snow Much Fun
Skier
I recall skiing White Lightning at night but a search through old trail maps reveals little information about trails that were lit for night skiing. One issue I remember was Salamander. Because the top of that trail sits on National Wilderness land, it could not be lit. This was an issue for North Face owners who wanted night trail access to their houses. I am hoping the new owners can get a special permit to light Sally.

I typically skied Saturday nights and it was wonderful—no crowds.
I heard last year the new management did apply for the "special permit" for lighting Sally. No idea if they have heard back.
Also, any night skiing in the past was done at your own risk. The lighting was so poor, you couldn't pick up the terrain in front of you. So, it was an adventure.

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
I heard last year the new management did apply for the "special permit" for lighting Sally. No idea if they have heard back.
Also, any night skiing in the past was done at your own risk. The lighting was so poor, you couldn't pick up the terrain in front of you. So, it was an adventure.
Was anything lit from the top (understanding that the lighting was poor) or was it all mid-mountain?

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
Upper Dew Drop and I think white lighting was lit from the top.

Kind of hit and miss, sort of had to feel the force. Just concentrate on your feet. I trust the next incarnation will be better. Honestly, if I have skied all day, I am not a night skiing fan, so I would rather they spend on snow. More like time for beers and brats.

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
The technology exists now to literally turn night to day. Some World Cup racers prefer racing at night because the lighting is better and more consistent. Given the short length of the season, night skiing seems like a natural fit for the area. It would be especially nice during holiday periods. If Timberline goes for night skiing, let’s hope they employ good technology, and not the crap that the former regime used.

Bearsden

Booting up
Skier
Has anyone heard of TM's plans to update the signage around the Canaan Valley, Davis and Thomas? They're still advertising the 20/21 season. And I hope they put an arrow on the one before Old Timberline. For some reason folks don't know they have to make a right turn at the stop sign.

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Honestly, if I have skied all day, I am not a night skiing fan, so I would rather they spend on snow. More like time for beers and brats.
Agreed, but for the upcoming season my kid has a saturday morning activity, so we will not be arriving in the valley until Saturday afternoon. Under those constraints I would take night skiing over no skiing!

SCWVA

Spent a little time on the mountain
Skier
Has anyone heard of TM's plans to update the signage around the Canaan Valley, Davis and Thomas? They're still advertising the 20/21 season. And I hope they put an arrow on the one before Old Timberline. For some reason folks don't know they have to make a right turn at the stop sign.

Please, is this really an issue? Be thankful that TLM is open!

Sponsor

Staff online