• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

fishnski

Staying at Snowed Inn
Skier
April 18 frosty white in the land of Canaan!...just a couple of years ago it snowed in mid May and a few years further back it snowed a few inches a day before Memorial weekend..
1 more tidbit...back when TL held the 24 hours of Canaan bike race bikers reported frozen precip at the top of the mountain on June 6th...

fishnski

Staying at Snowed Inn
Skier
(post from WG fearless weather dude)...
Cams show heavy snow falling on Timberline Resort's summit (4,300 ft.) and points east. The Rt. 219 road cam and surface reports (thx Todd Romero!) shows mostly freezing rain at TCHS. (Yesterday..all snow now)

If this rain/snow pattern holds this afternoon, snowfall totals over Dolly Sods and the Roaring Plains, and Mt. Porte Crayon could exceed a foot when all's said and done Tuesday night. High elevation back-country interests near the Allegheny Front should use extreme caution, especially in areas above 4,000 feet.

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Some chatter on the mid-atlantic backcountry skiers facebook group as well. Hope we get to see some pics!

fishnski

Staying at Snowed Inn
Skier
Nothing like looking ahead. What enhancements will Timberline Mountain make before next season?

- Night skiing, I think is going to happen.
- Added fixed snow making on Salamander has been approved per patroller.
- More snow making elsewhere?
- New Terrain?
- Of course the big one, another lift to the top?
- One of my personal enhancements, larger deck off the bar :beercheer:
I'm not up there so I don't know but I haven't seen any activity at all on their webcams...no cars,trucks or equipment...samo samo next season??

RickH

Snow Much Fun
Skier
I'm not up there so I don't know but I haven't seen any activity at all on their webcams...no cars,trucks or equipment...samo samo next season??
I was there last weekend, I didn't see anything going on. Some hydro-seeding to protect against run off. But, thats it. Doesn't look like the lighting that was delayed by supply chain has arrived yet, or any other upgrades they may be planning.
Does look like some snowmaking equipment maintenance going on today, plus I saw a picture on FB of them moving snow making piping around. Either replacement or additional? Either way, that works for me.

Last edited:

WV RVA Skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
Did a little walking around this morning. 14 snow making pipes laying on the ground at top of lower thunder. Small pipes, the size of sprinkler pipes laying near traching shack at bottom of bunny. Terrain park rails and stuff sitting in the sun near the big metal shed that holds the pads. Also noticed they had taken the railings off the bar deck.

Attachments

• 20220605_114823.jpg
    20220605_114823.jpg
    420.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 20220605_114307.jpg
    20220605_114307.jpg
    462.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 20220605_112713.jpg
    20220605_112713.jpg
    400.9 KB · Views: 23

RickH

Snow Much Fun
Skier
Did a little walking around this morning. 14 snow making pipes laying on the ground at top of lower thunder. Small pipes, the size of sprinkler pipes laying near traching shack at bottom of bunny. Terrain park rails and stuff sitting in the sun near the big metal shed that holds the pads. Also noticed they had taken the railings off the bar deck.
Seems they need that on Almost Heaven more than Thunder Struck, I'd take both. Either way, they seem to always be improving.

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Hopefully snowmaking on AH can get some attention as well. That and replacing the snowguns on the drop and OTW with the newer models.

Last edited:

SCWVA

Spent a little time on the mountain
Skier
Canaan MTB Festival is this weekend. Should be a lots of people in town for the event. Festivities start on Thursday and run through the weekend. Surprised and disappointed that TLM isn't participating.

fishnski

Staying at Snowed Inn
Skier
And way down south of the Mason Dixon line in West Virginia At the Virginia Tech automated research weather station in the north end of Canaan Valley, this morning's low temperature was 25F. That is notable ( Freaking Cold)

RickH

Snow Much Fun
Skier
I walked the mountain this past weekend, there are 25' sections of snow making piping all over. Looks like they are going to run a line on the skiers right on White lighting. We have all see how that side of WL is thin at times. Then there is a lot of piping laying up top between Almost Heaven and Dew Drop. Not sure were that is going, but you would assume they dropped the pipes close to where they would be installed. Earlier, I read someone saw light poles, etc I didn't see anything like that on the mountain, maybe in the parking lot near the old boy scout building. I didn't go over that way.

Friday night concert with Red Hawk at Canaan was fun.

SCWVA

Spent a little time on the mountain
Skier
And way down south of the Mason Dixon line in West Virginia At the Virginia Tech automated research weather station in the north end of Canaan Valley, this morning's low temperature was 25F. That is notable ( Freaking Cold)

Yea Fish, it was cold for the Canaan MTB Festival. As soon as the sun went down, it was winter coat and ski cap time.

From a TLM email I received.

Here are a few of the exciting new improvements to the mountain to look forward to this season:
- Expanded beginner area with additional beginner-friendly carpet lift
- Lighting from mid-mountain to the base area for extended operating hours
- New loading conveyor on our mid-mountain chair lift for an easier loading experience
- Increased rental equipment inventory
- Increased snowmaking capacity with over 6,000 feet of new snowmaking pipe, 19 new snow guns, and the repositioning of 11 existing tower mounted guns for better coverage

James

Out There
Instructor
New loading conveyor on our mid-mountain chair lift for an easier loading experience
That should be interesting.
Our experience with them has been mixed. It’s previous chair users that have a problem. Ranging from attempting to wedge stop and ending on the ground, to just standing there when the gate opens.

It was supposed to speed things up by having less stoppages. I’m not sure it’s ever attained that, but it is easier to load if you don’t freak out.

We used to have one top and bottom - loading and unloading. They would break all the time. Eventually they got rid of the top one, so that helped with down time.

Seems in Europe they use them all over and people are used to them.

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
This chart was just published in the Friends of the 500th Newsletter. I think what is amazing is that despite last season's lackluster snowfall, Timberline had a good season. Better snowmaking is the answer and it's great that they are doubling down on more such investment for next season

IMG_20220627_184253798.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January