• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

jimmy

Mixmaster
SkiTalk Supporter
That should be interesting.
Our experience with them has been mixed. It’s previous chair users that have a problem. Ranging from attempting to wedge stop and ending on the ground, to just standing there when the gate opens.

It was supposed to speed things up by having less stoppages. I’m not sure it’s ever attained that, but it is easier to load if you don’t freak out.

We used to have one top and bottom - loading and unloading. They would break all the time. Eventually they got rid of the top one, so that helped with down time.

Seems in Europe they use them all over and people are used to them.

Hopefully this will make it easier for novice skiers to load. Lift is very underutilized but the terrain is the next logical step up from the bunny slope. Sure miss our old bunny lift.

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
Hopefully this will make it easier for novice skiers to load. Lift is very underutilized but the terrain is the next logical step up from the bunny slope. Sure miss our old bunny lift.
I think it will get more traffic next season, especially at night when it will be the only option.

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
Has anyone heard any rumors about what is going on at the other mountain, Canaan Valley Resort? There were some posts on it on DCSki but since then, silence.

SCWVA

Spent a little time on the mountain
Skier
Heard the new GM bought some new shot guns and a new ATV. :)

CVR raised their ticket prices last season and now they've raised the price of their season pass to $450 until 6/30/22.

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
@wgo alerted people to this podcast on DCSki:

“Jonathan M. Davis, General Manager of Perfect North, Indiana.”

Timberline discussion starts at 1:30 but there is a lot of good information in the earlier discussion of Perfect North Slopes. Bottom line takeaway: we are extremely fortunate that these people are running the mountain.

SCWVA

Spent a little time on the mountain
Skier
Interesting podcast. The person doing the interview mentions a backcountry ski area between TLM and CVR, but TLM's GM doesn't bother to mention Whitegrass. The GM then goes on to praise CVR for fostering the ski culture in the Valley. Really?

Seems odd that the GM would give props to a direct competitor (CVR) on several occasions, but never bothers to mention Whitegrass.

WV RVA Skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
I may have missed this but....on Upper White Lightning they are replacing pipes with 6 inch pipes and putting in the most powerful polecats they have so they can cover slope side to side.

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Are they actually installing snow guns on skier's right of Upper White Lightning?

RickH

Snow Much Fun
Skier
They removed several base guns and moved them "somewhere". The one right against the deck is gone, including the footer. So, that may be what they referred to as repositioning.
You can see a lot of the pipe work they are doing on the webcam if you look at dew drop and white lighting postions.
No lights or additional guns in the parking lot yet. Still have lots of time.

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Nope. They are replacing what is there, where it was. I had the same question and was told no. The better guns will be able to spray the entire slope from skiers left.
Thanks for the info. I wonder if there is an opportunity to move the existing snowguns on WL to the Drop or OTW? That would be an improvement over the existing snowguns on those 2 runs, right? I have no idea if that is even feasible, just curious.

Last edited:

RickH

Snow Much Fun
Skier
They need more snow making on Almost Heaven. Maybe the WL guns will be moved over there, its a narrower trail so those guns will cover it completely.

Reactions: wgo

RickH

Snow Much Fun
Skier
Lots of activity recently. Looks like they are replacing the old underground pipe on White lighting with a larger pipe, I assume increasing their uphill capacity for that slope.
Doing a lot of digging around the magic carpet, I read where they are planning to expand the beginner area. Moving the magic carpet? Or are they just going to fence off some of the slope coming down from Sally to increase the size?

Sponsor

Staff online