• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tokyo Olympics

James

Out There
Instructor
Well it’s started. Apparently, could be cancelled at any moment.

The US women’s soccer ream just got destroyed by Sweden, 3-0! I saw a lot of it and it really was that dominant. No fans in the stadium.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
With nearly 80 athletes testing positive already these Olympics have “ asterisk “ written all over them... apparently there is still an active discussion about whether they should proceed or postpone/delay.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I can't imagine how soul destroying hosting these Olympics is...
I honestly don't know why any city would want to host the Olympics, Covid or not. The expense is astronomical and so many venues are left to fade into the sunset after everyone goes home. Reno/Tahoe keeps talking about it and I just roll my eyes and hope it never happens. The area is struggling as it is with stressed infrastructure, not enough housing, and all the other typical issues many places are facing.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I honestly don't know why any city would want to host the Olympics, Covid or not. The expense is astronomical and so many venues are left to fade into the sunset after everyone goes home. Reno/Tahoe keeps talking about it and I just roll my eyes and hope it never happens. The area is struggling as it is with stressed infrastructure, not enough housing, and all the other typical issues many places are facing.
Couldn't agree more..and then have it be a big pile of dog mess from Covid on top of all that.. It's like paying a really high-priced prostitute, being ridiculed by everyone for doing so, and then when the door closes s/he strips you naked, kicks the crap out of you and throws you out the window into a busy street...

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
I honestly don't know why any city would want to host the Olympics, Covid or not.
New winner today! Collects the prize in 2032.

Muleski

Inactive
It's simply a losing proposition. There are always a group of over the top supporters who want to see the best in everything. And and equally strong group of opposers who can see all of the pitfalls, losses and struggle with seeing the "WHY?" in any bid. Winter Games are bad enough, but somewhat contained. Summer Games are out of control in terms of size and scope. And the demands of the IOC? Equally nutty.

My brother was asked to join the Committee in Boston to form and submit the bid for the 2024 Summer Games. That request quickly moved after his first few conversations to a "please consider.....please," He attended, I believe, two meetings early on, then took himself out. His reasoning was simple. It made NO sense. No way in hell could Boston, or New England really handle the games. The amount of infrastructure that would need to be built was off the charts. And creating the venues for many sports was no small task.....let alone creating some sort of Olympic Village.

My brother exited when he heard people who he thought previously "had a brain" go on an on about what a tremendous "investment" the games were.

I think they need an overall. This is going to be an "Epic Fail" of monumental proportion. What are some calling it now "A $50Billion Disaster?" COVID obviously plays a big part.

Now...Bejing, next OWG's?????

I have this feeling that on order to survive, they need to scale back the size and events and they need to settle on a rotation of permanent hosts cities that are both willing and able to take it on. Because of my Dad's work, I was able to attend a number of the games. My first winter games were 1964 in Innsbruck. First Summer were 1972 in Munich {the Olympics with the "Massacre"}.

I blows my mind to see how they have grown and changed. Is it a good thing? Doesn't feel that way to me.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
New winner today! Collects the prize in 2032.

It's a collective madness that seizes a few folk for who knows what reason. Why the hell put Govt budgets under pressure to hold a 2 week party for the ultra wealthy?

We scraped by in Melbourne in 1956 when the event was smaller and survived Sydney in 2000 without too much damage. Now we roll the dice again... :rolleyes:

Here's how one opinion piece put it:
Brisbane will either be the wide-eyed yokel who marvelled at being the only bidder in an empty auction house, or the genius who snapped up the greatest bargain on Earth.
Yeah, I'm going with Warren Buffet's comment on spotting the patsy.

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
^That said, how is Brisbane set, accomodation and venue-wise?

*has a mental picture of bull sharks cruising around an open water triathlon course*

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor

scott43

Skier
My brother exited when he heard people who he thought previously "had a brain" go on an on about what a tremendous "investment" the games were.
I mean...there's money to be "made"...(taken)..reminds of that old song.. "There's plenty good money to be made supplying the army with the tools of the trade..."

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
The Irukandji jelly fish might be as bad.

To @Muleski's point, and since it's so brutally obvious about winter games that I'm surprised no one is pointing it out for summer games - it helps if the host city is a resort with high tourist capacity.

"had a brain" go on an on about what a tremendous "investment" the games were.

In a weird way that reminds me of ...diamonds and how everyone used to talk about the ring "investment". I'm perfectly happy re-using Grandma's.

Ask Canadians about the Whistler Winter Olympics. It put Whistler on the map! Madness? Right!

Makes you wonder what it would take to do Vancouver again.

scott43

Skier
To @Muleski's point, and since it's so brutally obvious about winter games that I'm surprised no one is pointing it out for summer games - it helps if the host city is a resort with high tourist capacity.
Of if you have an authoritarian regime trying to prove how world-class they are...

Sponsor

Staff online