• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tokyo Olympics

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
Well, had Denver gotten the winter games, likely there’d be a train out there along I-70.

Japan and US win in women’s softball. US pitcher, Cat Osterman, is 38 years old.
Stadium is in Fujushima, 40 miles from the power plant.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
^That said, how is Brisbane set, accomodation and venue-wise?

*has a mental picture of bull sharks cruising around an open water triathlon course*

Brisbane hosted the Commonwealth Games in 1980 and Expo in 1988. Assume any sports infrastructure will need updating - if you are the owner of a construction company you'd probably be salivating for quite a while. Other than that it's a nice city. Gets damned hot/humid in the warmer months so the timing will no doubt suit northern hemi TV audience.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Ask us about Montreal.....

IIRC Montreal's financial disaster lead directly to the wholesale commercialization of the event. Didn't California pass a law that not one cent of public money could be spent on the games in LA in 84? So Coke et al got invited to fund.

Shooot... maybe Bris should get a copy of that law from LA.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
The corruption around Montreal 1976 is legendary. The mayor who lobbied for the games, Jean Drapeau, famously said "The Olympics can no more lose money than a man can have a baby." What a disaster... The stadium was deemed structurally unsafe before it was paid for...

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The corruption around Montreal 1976 is legendary. The mayor who lobbied for the games, Jean Drapeau, famously said "The Olympics can no more lose money than a man can have a baby." What a disaster... The stadium was deemed structurally unsafe before it was paid for...
You've just ruined Nadia's Theme for me forever.

PS: Why is any indoor sport part of the summer games?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Forgive me for not having followed the topic in fine detail, but ...

... Why is ANY athlete or coach or staffer or - for that matter - stadium janitor allowed to get anywhere near the Olympics without having been vaccinated? (I do understand that some of the athletes who tested positive were vaccinated. I'm leaving that out of the equation. I also understand that if you're a runner from Burkina Faso your government might not have been in a position to vaccinate you. But surely SOME party to the whole affair could subsidize the $3.29 or whatever it is per dose in the interest of keeping the world's greatest athletes from becoming the world's greatest super spreaders. :rolleyes: )

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

You are now officially on lifelong la bise terms with Thomas Bach and every one of his successors.

Of course, you're not going to get any other recognition for giving them the idea for a third games :D

#moneymoneymoney

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Because the summer games came before the winter games and were just "The Olympic Games". So they included indoor and outdoor sports. And ice skating was even included as early as 1908, though had to be held later in the year.

Then the Winter Olympics were proposed to catch the sports that actually needed winter. A bunch of history is here:

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
good question and why is any indoor sport part of the winter games.
there are far too many fringe sports already.

although a covered event complex actually has a lot more uses afterward than an empty field.

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
Forgive me for not having followed the topic in fine detail, but ...

... Why is ANY athlete or coach or staffer or - for that matter - stadium janitor allowed to get anywhere near the Olympics without having been vaccinated? (I do understand that some of the athletes who tested positive were vaccinated. I'm leaving that out of the equation. I also understand that if you're a runner from Burkina Faso your government might not have been in a position to vaccinate you. But surely SOME party to the whole affair could subsidize the $3.29 or whatever it is per dose in the interest of keeping the world's greatest athletes from becoming the world's greatest super spreaders. :rolleyes: )
+1. Especially on the non-athlete workers.

Any why no country, including China and the US, doesn't donate enough vaccine to vaccinate any game personnel who wish to get vaccinated but unable to get vaccinated in their home country.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Assume any sports infrastructure will need updating - if you are the owner of a construction company you'd probably be salivating for quite a while. Other than that it's a nice city.

I was just looking at the Tokyo contract numbers above - OOF. 42,000 rooms for just the IOC junketeers and camp followers. Another 8,000 for the Paralympics.... that's like 500 US-size hotels.

1626918131729.png

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Gets damned hot/humid in the warmer months so the timing will no doubt suit northern hemi TV audience.
If Australia gets the summer olympics is skiing involved?:huh::ogbiggrin:

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I was just looking at the Tokyo contract numbers above - OOF. 42,000 rooms for just the IOC junketeers and camp followers. Another 8,000 for the Paralympics.... that's like 500 US-size hotels.
I thought it was neat that the riff-raff get 4 and 5 star rooms only..but the technical officials and other "professionals" get 2 and 3 stars... Tells you where the value is at!

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Just for your edification.

View attachment 137926
Irukandji jelly fish

Bad enough - but look up Chironex fleckeri.

Oh, they'll bumble through. There's major tourist centers just south and north of the Brisbane itself such the Gold Coast. They run annual Indy Car and other races there.

If Australia gets the summer Olympics is skiing involved?

Sydney was held in last 1/2 September 2000. Brisbane is further north, closer to equator, and is apparently planned 23 July to 8 Aug. Probably the best chance of enough good quality snow as we are likely to get in Australia.

Today it looks like this at Thredbo...
1626922250960.png

And this at Vail's Perisher...
1626922343140.png

Personally I'm stuck home in lockdown. And feel like this...
Eq8wEN.gif

But, yeah, plan a visit to Oz with skiing and Olympic spectating.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I thought it was neat that the riff-raff get 4 and 5 star rooms only..but the technical officials and other "professionals" get 2 and 3 stars... Tells you where the value is at!

Just for a sense of scale, ^that many rooms would be a full third of Las Vegas' total capacity... no wonder @Andy Mink doesn't want them in Reno.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Just for a sense of scale, ^that many rooms would be a full third of Las Vegas' total capacity... no wonder @Andy Mink doesn't want them in Reno.
Reno/Tahoe doesn't have even close to a third of LV's capacity.

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
So he’s AOC and IOC? Well that explains it.
I still can’t believe that Japan didn’t lay down rules that everyone associated with the Olympics has to be vaccinated. Including the tens of thousands on the IOC junket.

Mexico beats France 4-1 in men’s soccer.
I guess it’s the U23 teams. Mexico National Team is currently playing in the Gold Cup.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I guess it’s the U23 teams
Yeah, the Olympics has always had an age policy to keep it from competing in prestige with the World Cup, or even with some of the continental tournaments (Eurocup and Copa America mainly).

Sponsor

Staff online