• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tyrolia Protector Series of Bindings

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
I've skied the Protector bindings on 82cm width Brahmas and really enjoy them. Hope the hype about safety/injury is valid. Would the Protectors work for a wider ski, like a Rustler 11, or would the added height be contraindicated? Please advise. Thanks in advance.
Interesting question. I have a set that I'm planning to put on a pair of 95(ish) skis as soon as I decide on which ones.

PupManS

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I woudn't expect much of a lower stack height, all of the mechenisms are below the heel. My gut is they are making a taller toe. The Protector SLR 10 and 11 are 28mm in the heel because they are a bit mroe compact. Bit don't ecpect a hard mount Protector to be 20mm high.
So what would the point of a taller toe be? To use Powerrail in the toe too instead of that demo track that the current ones have? Ramp angle?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So what would the point of a taller toe be?
To keep the delta consistant.
To use Powerrail in the toe too instead of that demo track that the current ones have? Ramp angle?
The Powerrail toe is that just that, a rail toe. The hard mount version is lower. They need to have a toe that matches well with the 33mm heel height.

PupManS

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Philpug please explain it to me as if I am a below average Golden Retriever.

The hard mount Attacks all have, I think, a 5mm heel-to-toe difference. I have a lot of them and it works for me. When I look at the specs on the Protector Attack it's a 4mm difference. If they make the toe TALLER it would be less like the non-Protector version. Obviously the stand height is different, but for consistent delta- 1mm is probably hard to detect and not worth re-engineering a binding solely for that.

Is what you are saying that if they make a hard mount Protector Attack and use the existing Attack fixed mount toe piece that it would be too low relative to the 33mm Protector heel? Yes, for sure.

What I am trying to understand is what the point of a fixed mount Protector Attack is. If it can't address stand height I'm not really sure what good it is. The tracks don't add much weight at all, and it seems like in the case of the Protector they don't really add any height either (take out the track and you'd need to put a spacer in the heel to achieve the 33mm you need to clear the brakes in a lateral release).

Of course, I get some people count weight in grams. However, I'm the guy who used to have a gear room full of Neox bindings and in some ways still miss them. So I'm not that guy ;)

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Philpug please explain it to me as if I am a below average Golden Retriever.

The hard mount Attacks all have, I think, a 5mm heel-to-toe difference. I have a lot of them and it works for me. When I look at the specs on the Protector Attack it's a 4mm difference. If they make the toe TALLER it would be less like the non-Protector version. Obviously the stand height is different, but for consistent delta- 1mm is probably hard to detect and not worth re-engineering a binding solely for that.

Is what you are saying that if they make a hard mount Protector Attack and use the existing Attack fixed mount toe piece that it would be too low relative to the 33mm Protector heel? Yes, for sure.

What I am trying to understand is what the point of a fixed mount Protector Attack is. If it can't address stand height I'm not really sure what good it is. The tracks don't add much weight at all, and it seems like in the case of the Protector they don't really add any height either (take out the track and you'd need to put a spacer in the heel to achieve the 33mm you need to clear the brakes in a lateral release).

Of course, I get some people count weight in grams. However, I'm the guy who used to have a gear room full of Neox bindings and in some ways still miss them. So I'm not that guy ;)
You have answered your own questions and voiced your way to clarity. The only thing a hard mount Protector will add is a slightly tighter connection to the ski. I could be wrong but I really don't see how they will be able to make the heel significanly lower.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
-

What I am trying to understand is what the point of a fixed mount Protector Attack is.
Power Rail Protector no tool needed adjustability make it very easy for someone to steal the bindings and easier for a thief to sell a ski with Power Rail Protector because they setup to a range of BSL similar to a demo binding

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Power Rail Protector no tool needed adjustability make it very easy for someone to steal the bindings and easier for a thief to sell a ski with Power Rail Protector because they setup to a range of BSL similar to a demo binding
Interesting thought, I never looked at it that way. I guess I have to think more about safety.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've skied the Protector bindings on 82cm width Brahmas and really enjoy them. Hope the hype about safety/injury is valid. Would the Protectors work for a wider ski, like a Rustler 11, or would the added height be contraindicated? Please advise. Thanks in advance.

There's 3 types of skiers: those that are sensitive to stack height, those that think they are sensitive to stack height, and those that love their knees.

IMG_1846.jpg IMG_1847.jpg

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
There's 3 types of skiers: those that are sensitive to stack height, those that think they are sensitive to stack height, and those that love their knees.

View attachment 205613 View attachment 205614
^ and that is why I'm waiting for the Protector SLR, a compromise, still better than the PR's stack.
Howell binding if it ever materializes is supposed to have a low's stack height. Me, I'll stick with Protector SLR for what he plans to sell the Howell binding for.

David

Skier
Or for someone to just mess with them on the rack?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Or for someone to just mess with them on the rack?
Interesting thought, I never looked at it that way. I guess I have to think more about safety.
:nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono:
Tool less adjustment has been around for years, I have YET to hear of ONE binding theft or people messing with position.

Uncle-A

Skier
Tool less adjustment has been around for years, I have YET to hear of ONE binding theft or people messing with position.
That is great to know, Thanks.

David

Skier
I didn't know you could adjust a binding without tools. Hopefully others don't find this out either! I've had bikes messed with a lot so maybe I'm paranoid.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
A question on the rail system vs flat mount. For a Head Supershape ski, would non-rail mount secure the binding more stable and solid?
Had standard Attack2 16 GW on a eTitan before and you lose the easy adjustability but gain a familiar binding to all my other skis. Has the same stand height and 2.5mm delta that all Attack2 have after adjustment and a nice, solid feel.
A non adjustable mount like a fixed mount or plate mounted binding will be always be a bit more solid so the Head Race skis above the Supershape line move to plates typically.

You shouldn’t have much movement in a demo type binding though unless something is wrong and most may notice a different delta more between various bindings. If delta is kept similar among binding systems in the quiver, you’re usually good.

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
Had standard Attack2 16 GW on a eTitan before and you lose the easy adjustability but gain a familiar binding to all my other skis. Has the same stand height and 2.5mm delta that all Attack2 have after adjustment and a nice, solid feel.
A non adjustable mount like a fixed mount or plate mounted binding will be always be a bit more solid so the Head Race skis above the Supershape line move to plates typically.

You shouldn’t have much movement in a demo type binding though unless something is wrong and most may notice a different delta more between various bindings. If delta is kept similar among binding systems in the quiver, you’re usually good.
Thanks for the help. The adjustable mount seems the way to go. I could order the Protector on the Supershape. At Mt. Hood, I will demo Head, Rossi, and Nordica SL skis. In my current ski life, my narrowest ski is 86 mm underfoot. A bit concerned…

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
still doesn't rule out BSL adjustability making a ski binding setup easier to sell for would be thief, not limited to about one or two BSL sizes without a remount.
Oh and next gathering, note to all, remember to mess with @Philpug's demo tracks :roflmao: only do it on the smaller side so he can't click in, we can't have him ski off without readjusting back to where they belong:geek:

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
still doesn't rule out BSL adjustability making a ski binding setup easier to sell for would be thief, not limited to about one or two BSL sizes without a remount.
Oh and next gathering, note to all, remember to mess with @Philpug's demo tracks :roflmao: only do it on the smaller side so he can't click in, we can't have him ski off without readjusting back to where they belong:geek:
No, keep the same BSL but do a...

IMG_1849.jpg

Skighandi

Booting up
Skier
Without public data, it's hard to quantify. All we have are anecdotal stories on this forum. Mine came late March when my right ski tip caught in crud and dove straight under me. Smooth, vertical toe release.

The way I look at it, Protector offers more ways to release than any other binding on the market, including Knee. Every other binding has bind spots, where a large magnitude force will not trigger a release, and is instead impacted on the skier. Then what about retention issues? With 46 days on this season, I'd say no, not an issue.
I had the Protector mounted on new Enforcer 104 Free in Italy, skied them in Italy and in France for 2 weeks before returning to Tahoe. I like them but have yet to have any situation requiring release.

Uncle-A

Skier
I had the Protector mounted on new Enforcer 104 Free in Italy, skied them in Italy and in France for 2 weeks before returning to Tahoe. I like them but have yet to have any situation requiring release.
Part of why we purchase a high quality bindings is the hope we never need them but the confidence we have them if do need them.

Sponsor

Staff online