• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tyrolia Protector Series of Bindings

Skighandi

Booting up
Skier
Knee Bindings vs. Protector Bindings (32:17)
- doesn't seem like good news for the patent infringement plaintiff

Product Evolution (52:24) (53:24)
- sounds to me like '24/'25 Attack Protector will be the first of the Protector series to be offered in a flat mount non-power rail mount option

I've skied the Protector bindings on 82cm width Brahmas and really enjoy them. Hope the hype about safety/injury is valid. Would the Protectors work for a wider ski, like a Rustler 11, or would the added height be contraindicated? Please advise. Thanks in advance.
I believe it is fine----I've got mine mounted on Enforcer 104 Free

DesmoDog

Getting off the lift
Skier
I just ordered some Ahmeek 105s and am tempted to put Protectors on them, but the comments on wide skis and tall bindings has me considering a set of Look Pivots instead. I'm not convinced I'd be bothered by the things people mention, and others are using them on wider skis... but still. I had N77s back in the day and like the idea of using Pivots too.

I'd probably go with Pivot 15 to get the metal toe. Which means I'd be using them near/at the low limit of DIN settings. That doesn't really bother me because I don't see going below 6 and am sure that the useful range they list is indeed a useful range... but I'm holding off ordering anything right now since the skis may not be here until September and who knows, maybe somethig new and exciting will be announced closer to next season.

LoneStarMtnLover

Booting up
Skier
For anyone looking at the Protector bindings for a wider ski who doesn't know, I'm told the Attack 14 MN version are preferred model for said skis (over the PR). Just FYI.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
For anyone looking at the Protector bindings for a wider ski who doesn't know, I'm told the Attack 14 MN version are preferred model for said skis (over the PR). Just FYI.

Why? Please don't say because marketing wrote "Perfectly suited for wide skis." in the website description

:facepalm:

LoneStarMtnLover

Booting up
Skier
I'm not someone to speak knowledgably about ski tech, but I can relay what the binding selling ski shop person told me, and what the Tyrolia tech rep told me by phone this week. First, something about the Attack toe having a horizontal toe spring (vs PR's tip to tail?), where the horizontal spring configuration encompasses more area. Discriptively, he said a wider toe for a wider ski. Another technician said the Attack binding is "modern capture technology," and has a toe height adjustor. Additionally, he feels the Attack toe is more robust than the PR with negligible sacrifice in added weight. That's the limited info I can offer. Someone here might be able to translate more precisely what they may have meant.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Apologies if this has been asked on this thread already but .. what length(s) is considered a "short boot length" ?
This is probably up for debate but I would guess that anything under 300MM could be considered short.

Aquila

Getting on the lift
Skier
I like the look of these bindings and I'm cautious of injuries. I think I want to replace my current bindings with the SLR 11 when it's in stores. I'm lightweight and have an extra small BSL so I think they will suit me great.

One of my sets of skis already has Look Konect rail bindings though, will it be a massive problem for a shop to replace the rails to install Protectors? I assume the Tyrolia bindings can't work with the Look rails?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I like the look of these bindings and I'm cautious of injuries. I think I want to replace my current bindings with the SLR 11 when it's in stores. I'm lightweight and have an extra small BSL so I think they will suit me great.

One of my sets of skis already has Look Konect rail bindings though, will it be a massive problem for a shop to replace the rails to install Protectors? I assume the Tyrolia bindings can't work with the Look rails?
You should have no problem replacing your Konnects with Protectors and no they do not share rails or hole patterns.

AvidSkier23

Booting up
Skier
Few quick questions about this Protector binding I'd really appreciate help deciding over:

1. Would I be crazy to mount a Protector 13 GW PR to a Line Blade Optic 114 that's part of a two ski quiver so will only be skied on fresh snow days? After prior injuries, I really want the added protection but worried about the talk over the large stack height and ramp angle being bad for wide skis. A decade ago I had Marker Baron AT bindings with similar stack height on 105 width skis without realizing that was bad so maybe I won't mind?

2. I'm also getting a set for my wife. Right now I can get the all metal Protector PR GW 13 for the same price as SLR 11, which is normally cheaper but is lighter and has a lower stack height. For a lightweight female skiers, should I get the nicer built all-metal PR 13 or the lighter/lower/cheaper SLR 11?

3. How easy and quick is it to swap Protector bindings across two different skis mounted with Power Rails? Would doing so often over time damage the rail? Is this is feasible system for traveling with multiple skis and one protector binding that you mount to whichever pair you decide to ski that day?

Cheers and thanks in advance for helping me get the right setup!

Uncle-A

Skier
Few quick questions about this Protector binding I'd really appreciate help deciding over:

1. Would I be crazy to mount a Protector 13 GW PR to a Line Blade Optic 114 that's part of a two ski quiver so will only be skied on fresh snow days? After prior injuries, I really want the added protection but worried about the talk over the large stack height and ramp angle being bad for wide skis. A decade ago I had Marker Baron AT bindings with similar stack height on 105 width skis without realizing that was bad so maybe I won't mind?

2. I'm also getting a set for my wife. Right now I can get the all metal Protector PR GW 13 for the same price as SLR 11, which is normally cheaper but is lighter and has a lower stack height. For a lightweight female skiers, should I get the nicer built all-metal PR 13 or the lighter/lower/cheaper SLR 11?

3. How easy and quick is it to swap Protector bindings across two different skis mounted with Power Rails? Would doing so often over time damage the rail? Is this is feasible system for traveling with multiple skis and one protector binding that you mount to whichever pair you decide to ski that day?

Cheers and thanks in advance for helping me get the right setup!
The answer to number 1, I will leave to others with more experience with wider (100+MM) skis. Number 2 for me would be always purchase the metal binding. Number 3 seems like it depends on your skills with tools and bindings, but I don't imagine it is very difficult for someone with a little bit of binding knowledge. If you plan on doing a lot of swapping it is also a good reason to have the metal binding. Good luck and enjoy your new bindings.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Crazy? No. With every binding option, there is a balance like in retention and release. In your case, it is stack height and additional safety. If you are looking for the additional release, then get a Protector.
The 13 is not all metal. The stack height difference between the 11 and 13 is about 4 mm.
Very easy to move and it will not cause any damage. This does make things easier to travel.

AvidSkier23

Booting up
Skier
Thanks @Philpug and @Uncle-A for the tips! Sounds like I'll be getting a the PR13 for myself and throwing power rails on both my skis.

Apologies for misspeaking on the metal vs plastic. PR 13 has a metal toe with metal wings plus metal heel but all that is mounted on a plastic base. The PR 11 is the same except the toe wings are plastic. (have these two in front of me now). I don't have a SLR 11 to look at but given it's ~370 grams lighter than the PR 11 I'm guessing it's more plastic (maybe both toe and heel, does anyone know exactly?).

The PR 13 or 11 are 33.5 stack height and the SLR 11 is 28 for a difference of 5.5 mm according to Tyrolia's website. Is the lower height (-5.5mm) and weight (-370g) of the SLR 11 worth it for a 5'4" advanced in-shape female skier or are those differences so small I should just get the more metal PR 13 for her that will last longer?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The PR 13 or 11 are 33.5 stack height and the SLR 11 is 28 for a difference of 5.5 mm according to Tyrolia's website. Is the lower height (-5.5mm) and weight (-370g) of the SLR 11 worth it for a 5'4" advanced in-shape female skier or are those differences so small I should just get the more metal PR 13 for her that will last longer?
For her, the SLR 11 will be fine. as far as lasting longer, she will be on to new skis down the road before she even comes near to wearing either of these out.

DesmoDog

Getting off the lift
Skier
Has anyone found easy access to bare Power Rails yet? My local shop is of no help. I'm hoping the shop at the ski hill I'll be working at next winter is more helpful.

AvidSkier23

Booting up
Skier

DesmoDog

Getting off the lift
Skier
Sweet! The last few times I checked ebay (in the spring) there weren't any power rails listed.

They also had them in white so I ordered those. Olin Mark IV Comps have white graphics.

Yep, they're going on to 40 year old skis.

Uncle-A

Skier
Sweet! The last few times I checked ebay (in the spring) there weren't any power rails listed.

They also had them in white so I ordered those. Olin Mark IV Comps have white graphics.

Yep, they're going on to 40 year old skis.
When you get them setup post some pictures.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Do we know if the new SLR 11s are easier to step into for lightweight skiers than the other protector bindings?
I think they are about the same. Any single cam design does tend to be slightly more difficult than a twin cam heel. And before anyone asks (again) why they didn't use a two stage heel, a two stage heel is longer and cannot rotate laterally.

Sponsor

Staff online