• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada Understanding Tahoe Travel Restrictions

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not sure why you say inaccurate

It's accurately saying Sacramento region no longer has stay at home restrictions any more. Northstar and Squaw also announced lodging at resort re-starting from today.

At the end of article or briefly mentions other areas-
"With the order lifted in the greater Sacramento region, only the Bay Area, Los Angeles and San Joaquin regions remain under the stay-at-home order. The Northern California region isn't under the order and its counties are required to abide by the color-coded tier system."
Maybe the Los Angeles part? It's all of Southern California region.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Not sure why you say inaccurate

It's accurately saying Sacramento region no longer has stay at home restrictions any more. Northstar and Squaw also announced lodging at resort re-starting from today.

At the end of article or briefly mentions other areas-
"With the order lifted in the greater Sacramento region, only the Bay Area, Los Angeles and San Joaquin regions remain under the stay-at-home order. The Northern California region isn't under the order and its counties are required to abide by the color-coded tier system."
It is inaccurate because it ignores - San Diego, Riverside, San Bernardino, Orange, Inyo , and Mono counties. All of which are the majority of SoCal

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It is inaccurate because it ignores - San Diego, Riverside, San Bernardino, Orange, Inyo , and Mono counties. All of which are the majority of SoCal
Us northerners think of anything south of I80 as LA. :roflmao:

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier

Ah, ok.. :thumb:

But still, it's a significant update with Sacraments region exiting SIP since all the CA side Tahoe resorts are covered in this region. This now allows Tahoe lodging to open up and not be restricted to only NV side logding.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
While I like the basic concept, it still seems somewhat premature .......

Yeah, the math is weird. Current ICU capacity is under 10% but the four-week projection is 19%, so that’s what gets the region out of the SIP. But, what variables does the projection account for? I mean, God forbid some mass casualty event occurs next week that uses up 10% of the ICUs...

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
Newsome ending all CA wide stay-at-home

In case you are wondering about the data that led to the decision to re-open-
"Gov. Newsom and state health officials were criticized for withholding data from the public that help them determine when the order would be lifted. State health officials defended that action, saying they rely on a very complex set of measurements that would confuse and potentially mislead the public if they were made public. "

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Newsome ending all CA wide stay-at-home

In case you are wondering about the data that led to the decision to re-open-
"Gov. Newsom and state health officials were criticized for withholding data from the public that help them determine when the order would be lifted. State health officials defended that action, saying they rely on a very complex set of measurements that would confuse and potentially mislead the public if they were made public. "

Santa County still under SIP order. :-(

Bay Area counties, and almost all throughout the state, will remain in the “purple” tier for the most severe restrictions. Under the purple tier, certain activities and business sectors such as outdoor dining, gyms and hair and nail salons can resume operations with limited capacity.

Individual counties can impose stricter mandates, but Santa Clara County Executive Jeff Smith said the county has no plans to do so at this time.

Still, Smith called the state’s decision “irresponsible.”

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Timely given the coming humungo dump.

Residents are required to stay at home as much as possible and minimize mixing to reduce unnecessary exposure, while still being able to do important things like go to the doctor, buy groceries, pick up takeout, go on a hike, or worship outdoors...
Outdoor recreational facilities: Allow outdoor operation only for the purpose of facilitating physically distanced personal health and wellness through outdoor exercise, without any food, drink or alcohol sales. Additionally, overnight stays at campgrounds will not be permitted.

We in Santa Clara County still have the earlier 150 mile order in place I posted earlier that includes all Tahoe resorts, Carson City, and Minden but not Truckee or Reno.

Unpiste

Booting down
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
"Gov. Newsom and state health officials were criticized for withholding data from the public that help them determine when the order would be lifted. State health officials defended that action, saying they rely on a very complex set of measurements that would confuse and potentially mislead the public if they were made public."
This is baffling to me. Surely the best way to combat confusion and misinformation is to actually explain what you're doing, not to tell everyone that it's just too complicated for anyone but yourself to properly understand.

goaliedad

Getting off the lift
Skier
This is baffling to me. Surely the best way to combat confusion and misinformation is to actually explain what you're doing, not to tell everyone that it's just too complicated for anyone but yourself to properly understand.
You're assuming the data justifies what you've been doing. If the data is clear and unambiguous, you publish it. If the data can lead to many different interpretations, you hide it. Transparency : bureaucrats :: sunshine : Dracula

Last edited:

Unpiste

Booting down
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My impression is that part of the reason we aren't getting clear explanations is actually the attitude that each decision must be clearly and unambiguously backed by data. That's not always going to be a reasonable or an achievable standard, but I also don't see it helping anyone if a health order comes without explanation to try to hide that fact. Anything short of an honest explanation based on the best available information leads to mistrust.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Santa County still under SIP order. :-(

Bay Area counties, and almost all throughout the state, will remain in the “purple” tier for the most severe restrictions. Under the purple tier, certain activities and business sectors such as outdoor dining, gyms and hair and nail salons can resume operations with limited capacity.

Individual counties can impose stricter mandates, but Santa Clara County Executive Jeff Smith said the county has no plans to do so at this time.

Still, Smith called the state’s decision “irresponsible.”

Looks like my guess that Santa Clara county would hold the line was wrong.... Argh

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I am curious about the STR restrictions for the Tahoe region. For some reason, Mammoth STRs are only allowed 18 days a month. Does anyone understand that kind of algorithm?

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I am still stuck on why a 4-week projection of ICU beds dictates whether there are enough beds, rather than real-time numbers.

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not that I think it will stop anyone, but I was surprised to read this just now:

Even though Gov. Gavin Newsom lifted stay-home orders across the state, a travel advisory discouraging people from traveling more than 120 miles from home remains in effect.​
In an email to The Chronicle, the California Department of Public Health confirmed that its travel advisory, updated on Jan. 6, still stands. It urges Californians to forgo non-essential travel and avoid leaving the state.​

Source:

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
CDHP link isn’t working for me, so here it is again:

I do think a problem is that the Governor’s orders are different beasts than the health travel advisories. I came across the latter almost accidentally, which means the chances of a regular person finding and learning about them is nil unless the media reports on it.

Sponsor

Staff online