• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

VT or NH Big Mountain for New Skiers

GA49

Getting on the lift
Skier
Hi All,

My daughter and I plan to hit some of the bigger mountains to practice what she learns at her local one. Right now my go-to is going to be Okemo for a couple of reasons

1. I've skied it many times, including my 2nd time skiing as a youth so I know it's forgiving (although that was like 300 years ago). Also they get good reviews for beginner mountain I believe due the fact that every lift has a "Green", or most at least
2. I don't have experience with many VT and NH mountains except for Killington also--which from my experience, is not super beginner friendly (when I say beginner, I mean 1-2 days max so far).

Any other good mountains in VT and NH area for this purpose?

Thanks all!
~GA

Last edited:

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Okemo has easy terrain.

Bromley also has some beautiful easy terrain. There are some great instructors there and you should be able to have good choices in teachers.

Killington is known for good beginner teaching terrain.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Hi All,

My daughter and I plan to hit some of the bigger mountains to practice what she learns at her local one. Right now my go-to is going to be Okemo for a couple of reasons

1. I've skied it many times, including my 2nd time skiing as a youth so I know it's forgiving (although that was like 300 years ago). Also they get good reviews for beginner mountain I believe due the fact that every lift has a "Green", or most at least
2. I don't have experience with many VT and NH mountains except for Killington also--which from my experience, is not super beginner friendly (when I say beginner, I mean 1-2 days max so far).

Thanks all!
~GA
Bretton Woods in NH is super beginner and intermediate friendly, especially once the whole mountain is open. Every lift has a way down that's green - this is a major draw of the mountain for families and casual skiers who like gentle cruising and surveying the views. If some in your party are groomer zoomers, it's got plenty of terrain that's speed-friendly. There won't be many snowboarders nor teens who fancy themselves experts when they aren't. It has graduated difficult bump runs if you're working on bump skills, and there are short tree runs all over the mountain so advanced skiers can keep themselves occupied while other family members have fun on the greens and blues. The base lodge is comfy, about midway between Sun Valley 5-Star opulence and MadRiverGlen grunge.

Lodging ranges from the high end (Mt. Washington Hotel) to down-and-low motels in Lincoln. There's a very good zip line experience on the mountain. It's well-designed and will leave you with a sense of personal accomplishment. When there are weekend crowds the indoor climbing wall will be open, and go-cars, snowmobile-style, for kids will be running outside the base lodge. Expect these last two to be available on holiday weekends but not otherwise.

Be sure to visit the Mt. Washington Hotel lobby for après. Ski attire is welcome. Ask at the concierge desk for a set of checkers or chess and pull up chairs for the group while you enjoy your Irish coffee. Sitting under the moose head is good, in front of the massive fireplace. The ambience is memorable.

Last edited:

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Pico is another good option.

tlougee

Booting up
Skier
Bretton Woods in NH is super beginner and intermediate friendly, especially once the whole mountain is open. Every lift has a way down that's green - this is a major draw of the mountain for families and casual skiers who like gentle cruising and surveying the views. If some in your party are groomer zoomers, it's got plenty of terrain that's speed-friendly. There won't be many snowboarders nor teens who fancy themselves experts when they aren't. It has graduated difficult bump runs if you're working on bump skills, and there are short tree runs all over the mountain so advanced skiers can keep themselves occupied while other family members have fun on the greens and blues. The base lodge is comfy, about midway between Sun Valley 5-Star opulence and MadRiverGlen grunge.

Lodging ranges from the high end (Mt. Washington Hotel) to down-and-low motels in Lincoln. There's a very good zip line experience on the mountain. It's well-designed and will leave you with a sense of personal accomplishment. When there are weekend crowds the indoor climbing wall will be open, and go-cars, snowmobile-style, for kids will be running outside the base lodge. Expect these last two to be available on holiday weekends but not otherwise.

Be sure to visit the Mt. Washington Hotel lobby for après. Ski attire is welcome. Ask at the concierge desk for a set of checkers or chess and pull up chairs for the group while you enjoy your Irish coffee. Sitting under the moose head is good, in front of the massive fireplace. The ambience is memorable.
You forgot to mention that BW has the best snow in New England!

James

Out There
Instructor
Hi All,

Thanks all!
~GA
Just to clear something up-
Okemo really has very little “beginner” terrain. Almost all greens have short steep parts that are solid blue. Or, it’s crowded in sections with other skiers. Drives us crazy.

Easiest for real beginning is to start at the Jackson Gore magic carpets. But then there’s a problem progressing to the next step. The lower chair accesses a “green” back to the bottom. That green has a blue section funneling into a bridge over a railroad track. (Active maybe 2x per day). It’s not that easy.

I tell people to go to Sunapee. Has it’s own beginner section away from everyone else.

Killington has quite good beginner stuff at Snowshed and Ramshead from what I can see casually. Don’t dismiss it. Plus, you could always take the gondola up to the top for lunch and a spectacular view on a clear day, then take it down.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I tell people to go to Sunapee. Has it’s own beginner section away from everyone else.

Killington has quite good beginner stuff at Snowshed and Ramshead

We went to the beginner section at Sunapee a lot when my son was little (that's a long time ago now). It was great.

Snowshead is an excellent beginner slope, but the problem is the lodge and parking at the bottom. It means you have teenagers who are late for their family meetup time bombing down through the beginners.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Beginner terrain is very important. It can make or break day one for beginner adults, who are more picky/needy than beginner kids.

Adults who are thinking of taking up skiing don't know how to evaluate how good the terrain is at the different ski areas within driving distance where they will have their first day on skis. They don't know they need to evaluate that terrain.

Seems like there's a need for a book or blog or something, state by state, identifying where the best beginner terrain is. The writers could include a chapter on selecting the right size rental boots while they're at it.

I've always thought these two things are at fault for the dismal return rate of first time beginner adults in the US. Last time I checked it was 85% didn't plan to ever come back.

Last edited:

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If I am planning to teach someone to ski, a never ever, then I bring them to Pat's Peak in Henniker NH. Its far away the best learn to ski beginner destination of all mentioned above (in my opinion). Its 700 ft vertical with skiing off the back side as well. Its skis bigger than it sounds. My reasons are:
its relatively small, so one walkable parking lot
two side by side base lodges, central location and not all spread out
enough lifts so lines rarely get long
much lower priced tickets than say Kton
Their learning slopes, and the steps from one level to the next are ideal. An almost flat 1st run area, a slightly more pitched second lesson area (both with magic carpets) and then a medium length chair feeding a very easy couple of green runs. Someone learning can usually ride the chair before the end of the day and feel very confident.
There's plenty of other runs and chairs once you are ready to get off the greens.

It is not the "big" mtn experience of the area's mentioned above. They will have beautiful views, multiple lodges and parking lots, very spread out, much more terrain, and typically much higher ticket prices. They are all great for sure, depends on what you are looking for, in your next step up from your local "bump".

TS
GA49

GA49

Getting on the lift
Skier
What mountain is her local one? Just wondering about how some of the suggestions compare to it.
We are local to North Hartord's Sundown. That's where we plan to spend a lot of learning time which has a pretty good learning area.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
We are local to North Hartord's Sundown. That's where we plan to spend a lot of learning time which has a pretty good learning area.
Thanks... so a place like Pat's Peak is a little bigger, but not by a ton; And very different compared to someplace with a 2000+ ft vertical. I suspect this should rule out Pat's Peak... and maybe rule out Sunapee as the learning terrain mentioned is really nice but separate from the main mountain, so won't have that big mountain feel. (I've been to both of those and the others mentioned, except for Bretton Woods.)

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
OK, so OP, your more in North west Conn, so that means western Mass and Southern Vt areas are much closer to you. Also someplace like Wachusett Mtn. Wachusett and most Western MA areas are more in the 1000-1500 ft range. Pat's wouldn't make sense, but Mt Snow, Stratton, Magic and Bromley would be a reasonable drive. I have been to Mt Snow and like it, not sure about beginner terrain.

James

Out There
Instructor
How did we get “Big Mt” and beginner terrain? You don’t need much in the beginning.
Sundown is likely to have a late opening due to weather.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
How did we get “Big Mt” and beginner terrain? You don’t need much in the beginning.
I think they're looking for a big mountain experience with easy terrain. I.e. get some longer runs and views, but still have easy terrain options. Do I have that right @GreenAthlete49 ?

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I think they're looking for a big mountain experience with easy terrain. I.e. get some longer runs and views, but still have easy terrain options. Do I have that right @GreenAthlete49 ?
I understand that. I pointed out in another thread, that experts tend to be happier than intermediates to find good terrain and lap it. Exploring for its own sake, even if the terrain is comparable, is more important for the intermediates.

Sponsor

Staff online