• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

We were all there once -- GAPER SKI LIST

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Keycards - the kind where you can keep it in your pocket and just need to get it near the scanning target (not a barcode reader) - well, depending on the configuration of pockets, snow depth at the turnstyle, interference from a beacon, and just the chip getting worn out - there is sometimes a sort of a clumsy tango with the turnstyle. Still happens now and then

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I once thought I could drive my manual car down an icy access road from an upper parking lot to a lower one in my ski boots. Still the most terrifying drive of my life so far.
Back in the 1980s, I once didn't bother putting chains on a Chevette with no season tires before driving down the mountain road from Mt. Washington, BC after it had been snowing all day (about a foot of snow). That was an E-ticket ride.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
One of my issues was I had a lift ticket come off the wire holder. When my wife and I were in Austria one of the days was very cold and when I attached the lift ticket to the wire I thought it stuck OK but after stepping into my bindings and skiing down to the first chair it was gone. The guy at the lift pointed to the empty wire just hanging on my jacket and wanted to see my ticket. Only he didn't speak English and I don't speak any Austrian/German. Some how I convinced him that the ticket came off the wire and he let me get on the lift. I ski the first run and get back to the same chair and the same guy is there, he hands me a ticket and makes me attach it to the wire. When I was doing it I noticed that the a serial number was printed on the ticket so I looked at the ticket that my wife had on and it turned out to be the very next number I line of tickets. I showed it to the guy and it was like proof that it my missing ticket. It was the first time I had difficulty with the he adhesive on a lift ticket.

Mister Tea

The skier formerly known as Walt
Skier
One of my issues was I had a lift ticket come off the wire holder. When my wife and I were in Austria one of the days was very cold...

Any busy day when it's below about 10 degrees F I can count on finding at least one ticker that had come off the wicket lying on the snow. The most common way to have that happen is to put your new lift ticket on top of an old one instead of using a new wicket and fastening it glue-to-glue instead of glue-to-old-dirty-paper.

Yeah, losing your ticket is a gaper move.

Last edited:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I remembered back in the 70's & 80's the ticket booths had staplers for us to mechanically secure the tickets to the wickets in addition to the adhesive backing.

Mister Tea

Skier
16” powder day, so I took the bus.

Couldn’t scan in the gondi line.

Immediately realized that my pass was hanging on the rearview mirror of my car back at the condo.

I'll never understand why so many pass holders hang their pass around their necks with the provided lanyard. Seems like a recipe to forget it on occasion. I attach my pass(es) to my parka, which I am rather unlikely to forget.

I suppose if you're fashion conscious you might have several ski outfits, but that's not how I roll.

Anyway, if you have a season pass, you're probably not a gaper. Just prone to make mistakes like the rest of us humans.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Some days begin in uniform and end in civis. And some days are bitterly cold, while others are balmy.
I change jackets out of necessity, not as a fashion statement.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It would be great if the pass can be programmed into my Apple watch (or whatever your smart watch of choice is).

Mister Tea

Skier
Some people have different jackets based on weather too.

Yeah, when it gets up into the 50s (F) I ski in a windbreaker, which is in the pack all season along with my regular jacket (that so far has sufficed from -35 to +45F). The point is, don't separate your pass from your gear. You'll forget it eventually, or at least I would.

Mister Tea

Skier
It would be great if the pass can be programmed into my Apple watch (or whatever your smart watch of choice is).

I've never lost or forgotten a season pass. Meanwhile, I bought a new watch last week since my long-coveted sailing watch has gone walkabouts and the last major regatta is this weekend.

My conjecture is that once facial recognition software matures for a few more years to the point where it can recognize people wearing gaiters, goggles, and helmets the more tony resorts will move to that. Not sure how they'll deal with identical twins who try to share a pass...

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yeah, when it gets up into the 50s (F) I ski in a windbreaker, which is in the pack all season along with my regular jacket (that so far has sufficed from -35 to +45F). The point is, don't separate your pass from your gear. You'll forget it eventually, or at least I would.
I tend to put my pass in my boot bag when I'm done. Even if I grab a different pair of boots, I never hit the road to the ski area without my boot bag.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Mine's on my ski pants as I just change what is under them based on the weather. They occasionally get washed mid season, which is the danger time. I usually put all the stuff from the pockets right on top of the dryer and immediately distribute everything as they come out.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
I remembered back in the 70's & 80's the ticket booths had staplers for us to mechanically secure the tickets to the wickets in addition to the adhesive backing.
I remember in the 60s when they stapled a paper ticket onto your clothing, usually your parka. On a wet day they got pretty mangled. The high tech fix was the bale and sticky ticket.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Any busy day when it's below about 10 degrees F I can count on finding at least one ticker that had come off the wicket lying on the snow. The most common way to have that happen is to put your new lift ticket on top of an old one instead of using a new wicket and fastening it glue-to-glue instead of glue-to-old-dirty-paper.

Yeah, losing your ticket is a gaper move.
It was on a new a wicket, not a reuse.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Lost my season pass during training. Had it on the outside of a jacket on my arm in a plastic holder. It was a real cold day and it shattered hitting the gates.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Ditto. Anything I may need - goggles, helmet, gloves, socks, extra layers, balaclava - all go in my boot bag. I carry extra gloves and socks because I can and if I need them, I have them.
I have extra batteries for my extra heated socks, and extra batteries for my extra heated gloves.

Sponsor

Staff online