• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada Welcome to Palisades Tahoe The Name is New. The Legend Continues.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
From the Palisades Tahoe website FAQ's

"What is the new name?
The new name of the resort is Palisades Tahoe. The resort as a whole will be known as Palisades Tahoe, and we will use Olympic Valley and Alpine Meadows to refer to each base area when needed, such as on directional signage."

James

Out There
Instructor
Some people don't seem to get it that they couldn't have used the name "Olympic Valley" or Olympic anything without the IOC demanding tens of millions. (Edit--I'm late to the party with this observation.)
From the article posted by @tam iit has nothing to do with the IOC. Which is too bad since I’d love to see Alterra do it and flip the bird to the IOC. The IOC has nothing to do with this it looks like.

It is more similar to any place not being able to host a “Super Bowl” party, because of the NFL trademark of that word. You’d have to pay them to use the word.

The issue is the US Congress and Federal Law. The USOC has been given very special use of the term. Whether it would prevent Squaw from actually using Olympic __, is another matter. I wonder if the USOC was approached on the matter. I don’t think there’s any restriction in them allowing someone to use the term, but that’s speculation.

——————-
…Instead, the USOC gets extraordinary control over the term “Olympic” and any related imagery, a right granted by federal lawmakers in the Olympic and Amateur Sports Act of 1978…

“Congress wanted to make sure that USOC would have a way to fund their activities. So they basically took the word Olympic out of the English language and gave it to USOC,” said Jarvis, who teaches sports law at Nova Southeastern University in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.

Since then, the USOC has gained a reputation for aggressively defending its intellectual property. The landmark case came in 1987, when the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that organizers in San Francisco couldn’t call their amateur sporting event the “Gay Olympics.”
—————————
www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/just-whose-olympics-are-they-anyway/

I think using the term for a sporting event is completely different, but who knows how broad the ruling was without looking into it.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Nope... doesn't appear to be there. If you search for "Olympic Valley" it goes to the Palisades Tahoe resort... but it doesn't seem to say "Olympic Valley" on the map. (Of course it doesn't - yet - say Palisades Tahoe either.)

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
From the Palisades Tahoe website FAQ's

"What is the new name?
The new name of the resort is Palisades Tahoe. The resort as a whole will be known as Palisades Tahoe, and we will use Olympic Valley and Alpine Meadows to refer to each base area when needed, such as on directional signage."
so based on that, Palisades Tahoe would not actually be used except for marketing the resort as a whole? or maybe once the B2B gondola is complete there will be an initiative to brand it all as PT and phase out AM and OV once people have started to assimilate more of the PT branding? That would be my hunch. (sort of like Pugski to SkiTalk powered by Pugski to Ski talk?)

And has there been anything sbout renaming Squaw One lift? Will be interesting to see what, if any, directives there are to us as staff to "encourage" us to use the new names. :popcorn:

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
And has there been anything sbout renaming Squaw One lift? Will be interesting to see what, if any, directives there are to us as staff to "encourage" us to use the new names. :popcorn:
When they were running the contest on Resort chair (let me be clear - I think the former name is abhorrent, so I've been doing contortions for years. :) ), there was a blurb saying the resort was working with stakeholders on renaming the other offending lift name. I suspect that the resort did outreach to its sponsored athletes, if they weren't already part of the focus groups, in advance of the name change - sponsorship for support of a name change is a pretty easy carrot to dangle. Staff are likely next, but I think policing it will be more difficult. A lessor stakes thing is stuff that others have previously mentioned - I've never heard an instructor call West Face anything but West Face.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
A lessor stakes thing is stuff that others have previously mentioned - I've never heard an instructor call West Face anything but West Face.
Moseley himself will call West Face by that name while telling you a story about how quick the face rats ripped down the signage with a shrug. Assume he still skis it top to bottom without his torso moving.

With almost 50yrs under my belt at this mountain this ol dog, with indian blood running through his veins, won't be learning new tricks or names. If you by chance are lucky enough to find a 'Ski Squaw' or 'Shred Squaw' sticker on your windshield this winter it didn't come from me ;-)

PS It's a name. Nobody, until the angry guilt ridden millenial brought it up, ever thought of the term being offensive to anyone and most still don't. Get over it and your other First-World issues. 'Angel fly because they take themselves lightly.'

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Renaming a lift at P-T, well here’s the chance to put in ‘Gnar’ in some form.
A beginner chair called the Gnarnia works as well as an advanced one.
I like that! I would totally buy some swag that had Gnarnia on it.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I like that! I would totally buy some swag that had Gnarnia on it.
I'm a bit disappointed that Gnarnia wasn't chosen as the name but they might have gotten sued by the CS Lewis estate. Otherwise IDGAF what it's called I still want to ski there and I suspect that is the case with 99% plus of their potential clientele.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I quite like Canada's approach

Blue Mountain
Red Mountain
Sun Peaks
Big White
Sunshine Village (there is no village)
Castle
Whitewater should be at the top of your list.

Or possibly Kicking Horse, named after nearby Kicking Horse Pass, named when they were surveying the Canadian Pacific Railroad. The pass and river were named Kicking Horse when Sir James Hector, a naturalist, geologist and surgeon, was kicked by his horse and was initially believed dead by expedition members.

Kicking Horse Mountain Resort has the best nickname ever: "Kick Ass", because it does.

For truth in advertising Sun Peaks should be spelled Sun Peeks and as @fatbob pointed out, Sunshine Village has no village, no sun either as it is often foggy or flat light.

I think Palisades Tahoe will eventually get the nickname Pali Valley.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Pallisadesy-wood.... that's awkward. :)

Sponsor

Staff online

• dbostedo
    Asst. Gathermeister
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight