• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What do you say to non-skiers when you get injured while skiing?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I think the very idea of cafe ketchup and mustard is revolting to @Tony S
I'm good with it. It has a place. Not elaborating on what the place is, but it has a place. Especially after a hard morning of skiing.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Many moons ago; like 30 years ago I decided to call in sick go skiing but I was near the ski area. Years before cell phones so I had to use a pay phone. The operator wanted me to wait to insert quarters till the party answered. This would not do as they would hear coins clanging ! I talked her into taking the coins first. I agreed if they did not answer I'd loose the money. It worked, they answered to hear me say I was "sick" lol.

I decided to never do this again as if I got injured while skiing It would be hard to explain.

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
Well heck, where I live most folks do some sort of outdoors sport/activity. As we know far too well, any outdoor sport/activity has some element of risk and I believe most folks here accept that.

OK, OK, there's the occasional kerfuffle amongst locals about apparently "unprepared folks" (I'm being very respectful here) needing expensive emergency evac due to poorly thought-out mountain forays - but that's different than sports injuries.

And, to be completely open & honest, I suppose I'd get some ribbing from some folks I know if I said my apparent knee injury was a torn ACL from fishing or bowling (and, hey, I fish and I bowl too, so I deal with the inherent risks all the time ;) ). I could just hear it: "You mean you tore your ACL fishing & not skiing!? Hah ha ha...". Note that far too many of my friends have sick humor.

Many years ago I gashed my thigh using a stoopid-cheap 12" electric chainsaw to cut dry branches into kindling. People had no problem giving me a lot of sh*t about that injury. I still get sh*t from my brother in-law about it - mainly because it wasn't a name brand gas saw with at least an 18" bar. But, I digress, so ...

Fortunately nobody has ever criticized me about any of my ski injuries. I would pity the fool that did. There's nothing that makes me grumpier than a ski injury that puts limits on my skiing.

Last edited:

Tahoma

Cascade Crud Mover
Skier
If you were a professional driver for decades you'd sing a different song. Also people spend alot more time in autos.
I would expect professional drivers to be more aware of the risks on the road than most folks who get behind the wheel, at least I'd hope so! My point is that all of us face risks every day, in a wide variety of situations, and either find ways of coping with them, mitigating them, or avoiding them. For some folks, they just deny or ignore the risks. As we say in medicine, "Denial. It's not just a river in Egypt!"

I drive to work every day, and have taken care of LOTS of patients injured in car and motorcycle accidents. I've had several close calls on my way to and from work over the years. Took a weekend class from the local BMW club (when I owned a Bimmer) that emphasized a lot of situational awareness and getting better with collision avoidance, skids, etc. I also take ski camps to improve my technique and make me a safer, better skier. Time and money well spent. I like to think that I accept the risks inherent in driving or skiing, and do what I can to mitigate them. And accept the possibility that "stuff happens."

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Could not agree with you more. Doing something as a job definitely heightens your awareness. Almost like a 6th sense. Alas,you can preform your duties to your best abilities and it can still go South. At least then you do not need an excuse.

Tahoma

Cascade Crud Mover
Skier
Could not agree with you more. Doing something as a job definitely heightens your awareness. Almost like a 6th sense. Alas,you can preform your duties to your best abilities and it can still go South. At least then you do not need an excuse.
Yup. I think that being a professional in any endeavor should imply striving for excellence in that field. Of course, humans being human, reality doesn't always comport with our ideals ;). And as far as the injuries I've had skiing go, as Castle Dave said, "you play, you pay."

Sponsor

Staff online