• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What does proper fit of the boot cuff feel like?

Yepow

Excuse me, I'm an intermediate
Skier
Out of curiosity, are you booting up in the parking lot?

I say that because what you describe here -on relatively new sub-30 day boots- is typical for not having the heel all the way back in the heel pocket.

And the easiest way to do that is to do quickie "shove and strap" bootups in the parking lot.

A Booster won't fix that - but it can give you more responsiveness.
Yes I am! I don't tighten anything until actually at the top of the first run, but definitely "shove in" in the parking lot. AND--I've noticed bruising near the outside of both heels. and sometimes pain in those spots as I go forward and back (suggesting the heels are moving around in there...)

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Yes I am! I don't tighten anything until actually at the top of the first run, but definitely "shove in" in the parking lot. AND--I've noticed bruising near the outside of both heels. and sometimes pain in those spots as I go forward and back (suggesting the heels are moving around in there...)
Not good.

Yepow

Skier
There are many like them, but these ones are mine! Doubt I can go too wrong but I assume I just tighten them tightly above the plastic just on the liner.
image.jpg

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
There are many like them, but these ones are mine! Doubt I can go too wrong but I assume I just tighten them tightly above the plastic just on the liner.
View attachment 166722

Much is dependent upon your skiing style and what you want to accomplish.

Yepow

Skier
Not good.
In with Lou Rosenfeld getting a new boot, much snugger fit and a narrower last for my narrowish feet, and then adjustments for hot spots. We discussed being able to modify the old boots with a grind, but the really sore spot where heel spurs were forming didn’t seem worth pursuing anymore. @James @LiquidFeet

Near Nyquist

At the edge of instability
Skier
In with Lou Rosenfeld getting a new boot, much snugger fit and a narrower last for my narrowish feet, and then adjustments for hot spots. We discussed being able to modify the old boots with a grind, but the really sore spot where heel spurs were forming didn’t seem worth pursuing anymore. @James @LiquidFeet
You gots the right guy doing the right job the right way

chasinghorizons

Putting on skis
Skier
I have been using the stock strap and then booster strap for years on an angle so it just just hits the liner tongue only and doesn’t interfere with the shell. As others have probably mentioned, many race boots have shells slightly trimmed to fit the strap or booster on the liner only as well.
The big advantage of hitting the liner only is that you get the tongue tight against your leg and then the ability to more easily tighten the top buckles uniformly against the liner tongue. Thick having the booster right under the top buckle would reduce the benefits.

Noticed an instant difference in precision and a more uniform flex along with never had sore shins or “boot bang” since moving to “liner only” on strap.

What mine looks like with the booster but a larger strap would be fine too as long as you minimize the hitting of the shell.

View attachment 162327
THANK YOU for this. @SpeedyKevin and I tried wearing our booster straps like this today and it was wonderful. I'd been getting some weird side shin bang almost every day this season and this solved it completely!

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
THANK YOU for this. @SpeedyKevin and I tried wearing our booster straps like this today and it was wonderful. I'd been getting some weird side shin bang almost every day this season and this solved it completely!
First thing recommended to park skiers with shin bang is to get a booster strap and put it on the liner if you’re getting that with a properly sized boot.

How old are the liners in your boots as I assume you’re in the right size boot? Have you had your cuff’s aligned(if possible) as I found my shin didn’t hit the middle of the tongue properly before I did. Made a huge difference for me getting them aligned.

chasinghorizons

Putting on skis
Skier
How old are the liners in your boots as I assume you’re in the right size boot? Have you had your cuff’s aligned(if possible) as I found my shin didn’t hit the middle of the tongue properly before I did. Made a huge difference for me getting them aligned.
I have 1 year old Zipfits :) boot fitting has been a journey. I've never had anyone specifically look at cuff alignment though, could be interesting! Thanks

JCF

Out on the slopes
Skier
Long ago I decided I liked the strap inside the shell, as LF shows above. This is also how the Booster people suggest using it. Others like it outside. This has been discussed often on the board. All good.

I'm here to post in this very important thread that I happened to visit Race Stock Sports in Waterbury, VT, a few weeks ago, during a trip, to have an emergency boot tweak done. It was my first meeting with the remarkable P.J. Dewey. He watched me do up my boots (strap inside) and promptly advised unapologetically that "no one who knows anything does it like that."

Okay then. Just throwing another data point into the mix.

Tony S posted this a while back, but a good story and a good boot fitting recommendation never gets old.
I went to PJ a few weeks ago. Amazing experience. No wasted energy, he gave myself and others getting fitted focused attention and excellent service. After measuring and a short discussion ( I purchased my WRT's from him last year) he gave me a choice of Lange RX or Hawks. I ended up with the Hawks and he had me place the strap on the outside.
After reading a thread here I tried them on the inside and I like them better that way.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I ended up with the Hawks and he had me place the strap on the outside.
After reading a thread here I tried them on the inside and I like them better that way.

Placement of the booster strap will often vary dependent on end user intent.

Balls to the wall, outside. Finesse, inside.

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
First thing recommended to park skiers with shin bang is to get a booster strap and put it on the liner if you’re getting that with a properly sized boot.

Greg doing what you suggested has made a big difference in comfort and performance. Do you strap completely behind both layers of the shell?

I noticed when my boots are set up like this I tighten the second buckle down like a bear trap, snug the strap, and just have the other buckles tight enough to stay closed. This setup has allowed me more flexibility in my ankles, while at the same time improving lateral stiffness, increase heel hold, boot comfort, and increased feel. Really a remarkable difference.

I always felt a tighter top buckle restricts movement and reduces comfort while not adding a lot to performance.

in a lot of ways setting my Hawx up with the strap on the tongue only was a major change in comfort and performance. It really helps in variable terrain as well.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Greg doing what you suggested has made a big difference in comfort and performance. Do you strap completely behind both layers of the shell?

I noticed when my boots are set up like this I tighten the second buckle down like a bear trap, snug the strap, and just have the other buckles tight enough to stay closed. This setup has allowed me more flexibility in my ankles, while at the same time improving lateral stiffness, increase heel hold, boot comfort, and increased feel. Really a remarkable difference.

I always felt a tighter top buckle restricts movement and reduces comfort while not adding a lot to performance.

in a lot of ways setting my Hawx up with the strap on the tongue only was a major change in comfort and performance. It really helps in variable terrain as well.
Yes, I’m completely on the liner alone with my Booster strap(World Cup now) and buckle the top two buckles fairly tightly with the top one being a touch looser like yours.

Found the strap on the liner and having the cuffs aligned so I’m hitting the middle of the tongue always were large upgrades in comfort and performance. No longer have any sore spots and find jolts in crud much better regardless of ski.

Your system of tight on liner yet looser on top buckle reminds me of the Atomic Dual strap as you can set the booster part tight and then the velco strap on a bit looser. You get a bit of “give” before you hit the fixed flex “wall” of the velco strap which will give you a bit better suspension in crud etc.
Put both tight for immediate response in the boot but less “give”.

Sponsor

Staff online