• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What is the one thing that will cut your ski day short?

#1 thing that cuts your ski day short

• Poor visibility

Votes: 26 21.8%
  • Boot issues

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • Forgot a critical piece of gear

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Snow surface conditions, - too icy, too sticky, too rocky

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Broken or faulty equipment (tune, binding issues, broken pole, etc)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Too crowded...get off my snow!

Votes: 25 21.0%
  • Just not feeling it, meh?

Votes: 12 10.1%
  • Ski accident (you or a companion)

Votes: 24 20.2%
  • Weather (too windy, too warm, too wet/rainy [blasphemy]too much snow[blasphemy], lightning)

Votes: 12 10.1%
  • Meetings/work/family obligation

Votes: 11 9.2%

• Total voters

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That may be true where you are... but there is a large generation/population of older snowboarders now that don't deserve all the standard jokes and memes. And some skiers that behave like people think snowboarders do in all the standard jokes and memes.

That said, remember that...

View attachment 218249

1702497156786.png

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I find that I'm more likely to call it a day sooner if I'm at my local hill, than if I've traveled to a resort. I don't have an explanation....

Ah that’s easily explained-it is easy to give up and call it a day when you know you will be there skiing the same hill next morning, no biggie. Whereas when traveling to a distant resort it is an investment and you want as much return as possible.

Seahaven

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Here's the ultimate way to cut a ski day short:

That is a great story. Even the best and most skilled of skiers can get in trouble, so I know it can certainly happen to an average joe skier like me. I hope on the day I need it there are skiers around like the six rescuers in the story, and I hope that on another day I am the aware skier that can lend a hand to someone else.

gilligan

Getting off the lift
Skier
Hell-ish traffic gets me off the mountain early. When I ski locally at Crystal on weekdays, I always try to roll out of the parking lot by 1:30 or 2:00. Otherwise, my 1 hour 45 minute drive home can easily become 3 hours.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
But a hangover… a hangover and a bad night of sleep will make me lose all desire to ski and question why I’m even there.
New Years DAY, best day to avoid the holiday crowds.
I forgot my pants yesterday
Too bad there are no nudist ski resorts.

For me the day killer is a tie between rain and crowds. Fortunately my home mountain gets little of each.

Also, we do sometimes get 0*F/-18*C and colder, at which point I don't even start the day on skis. OTOH I have been to Aspen and Steamboat where the day started that cold but by noon there was water flowing in the mud puddles which is something that never happens in Alberta and the B.C. Interior.

For those who are fog adverse, I recommend Smith Chromapop goggles AND don't ever go to Big White, B.C., aka Big Whiteout.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
A number of those listed would make a day a non-starter. The most common one for me to end a day when I'm already skiing is when the crowds get to be too much. That's why I tend to be one of the first on the lifts, get my runs in before that happens

ThomasD

Getting off the lift
Skier
Once I'm on the mountain about the only things that would end the day would be serious personal injury or a family crisis.

Everything else can be dealt with by proper application of creativity, calmness, or cold hard cash.

Most season I am lucky to get more than a couple dozen days on the snow.

PNWRod

Getting off the lift
Skier
Hell-ish traffic gets me off the mountain early. When I ski locally at Crystal on weekdays, I always try to roll out of the parking lot by 1:30 or 2:00. Otherwise, my 1 hour 45 minute drive home can easily become 3 hours.

+1 Same hill, same drive, same reason.

Sponsor

Staff online