• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What is the one thing that will cut your ski day short?

#1 thing that cuts your ski day short

• Poor visibility

Votes: 26 21.8%
  • Boot issues

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • Forgot a critical piece of gear

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Snow surface conditions, - too icy, too sticky, too rocky

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Broken or faulty equipment (tune, binding issues, broken pole, etc)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Too crowded...get off my snow!

Votes: 25 21.0%
  • Just not feeling it, meh?

Votes: 12 10.1%
  • Ski accident (you or a companion)

Votes: 24 20.2%
  • Weather (too windy, too warm, too wet/rainy [blasphemy]too much snow[blasphemy], lightning)

Votes: 12 10.1%
  • Meetings/work/family obligation

Votes: 11 9.2%

• Total voters

Vestirse

Putting on skis
Skier
The last time I cut it short, I lost a contact. Visibility was already shit that day but I was trying to soldier on because in the PNW, you take what you can get. But when it turn into heavy fog + limited peripheral from skiing with one eye closed, I figured fate was screaming at me about tempting it with an accident.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The last time I cut it short, I lost a contact. Visibility was already shit that day but I was trying to soldier on because in the PNW, you take what you can get. But when it turn into heavy fog + limited peripheral from skiing with one eye closed, I figured fate was screaming at me about tempting it with an accident.
Yup. I now carry an extra set of contacts in my boot bag. Lately I ski with goggle inserts, but one day last season, I jumped on the chair and pulled my goggles down. Uh oh! No goggle insert! I’d grabbed the wrong pair! I was grateful for this contact lenses in the bag.

drewski

Putting on skis
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A foot of heavy wet snow, first hour was just ok then the piles got to me and I had enough. Tired old legs and didn't want to get hurt, tomorrow is another day. Have also quit when really crowded.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
injury.
2 weeks ago was hit square on the back, ko'd, launched about 20 feet, then cracked a few ribs on the landing.
Attempted to ski to valley afterward. It didn't turn out well. Day and maybe season done.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
injury.
2 weeks ago was hit square on the back, ko'd, launched about 20 feet, then cracked a few ribs on the landing.
Attempted to ski to valley afterward. It didn't turn out well. Day and maybe season done.
... we have a winner.

Trying to ski afterwards seems ....... un-wise.

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
As I get older … flat light, white out, fog! Sigh I don’t want to quit but the universe seems to working against me. I used to be Goldilocks but I’m becoming Eeyore! And I am NOT happy about it!

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
As I get older … flat light, white out, fog! Sigh I don’t want to quit but the universe seems to working against me. I used to be Goldilocks but I’m becoming Eeyore! And I am NOT happy about it!

Learn to ski by feel. Seeing is way over rated. :duck: :ogbiggrin:

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Learn to ski by feel. Seeing is way over rated. :duck: :ogbiggrin:
Tell that to my aching bones. I was launched off a cat track yesterday that I didn’t see until I was in the air. Felt fine until about 4:00 AM when neck and back pain kicked in. Seeing is not overrated!

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Tell that to my aching bones. I was launched off a cat track yesterday that I didn’t see until I was in the air. Felt fine until about 4:00 AM when neck and back pain kicked in. Seeing is not overrated!

Sorry to hear about your mishap. Heal fast.

Next time we ski together, I can show you the blind skiing technique we acquired while in W/B.

The de rigueur W/B ski fashion from few seasons back.
1711646264529.jpeg

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
You know....enough with the HTFU posturing....

Shudda been with us the beginning of May '23 at Mammoth.
Everyone skied everyday. No one died. No one injuried. Everyone had a good time.
I think.
Go and review the Mammoth thread from last season and you can see the conditions for validity.

There is always a way. Just because you can't do it doesn't mean it can't be done.

Note how many on this forum said thee is no way one can ski spring slush with FIS SL. Well, look at last season's Mammoth thread for spring skiing dates. Go ahead, prove me wrong.
Most will say one needs a wide ski to ski spring slush. It's just a expression of their limited skill set and understanding. Most need a wide ski to float to the top of the soft stuff and restore the 2D surface they rae so familiar with. Make everything a 2D groomer. :nono:

Posaune

sliding
Skier
Shudda been with us the beginning of May '23 at Mammoth.
Everyone skied everyday. No one died. No one injuried. Everyone had a good time.
I think.
Go and review the Mammoth thread from last season and you can see the conditions for validity.

There is always a way. Just because you can't do it doesn't mean it can't be done.

Note how many on this forum said thee is no way one can ski spring slush with FIS SL. Well, look at last season's Mammoth thread for spring skiing dates. Go ahead, prove me wrong.
Most will say one needs a wide ski to ski spring slush. It's just a expression of their limited skill set and understanding. Most need a wide ski to float to the top of the soft stuff and restore the 2D surface they rae so familiar with. Make everything a 2D groomer. :nono:
Ahh... The ski god speaks.
I'll do whatever I want and you can STFU about HTFU.

Love and kisses.
P

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I use clear goggles when the light is flat out. Unless I'm in a clinic it's fog or ice that'll make me be very picky. I'll usually start out with a mid mountain scoping run and go from there.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I use clear goggles when the light is flat out. Unless I'm in a clinic it's fog or ice that'll make me be very picky. I'll usually start out with a mid mountain scoping run and go from there.
Hear, hear I also use clear East Coast 95% of the time. On sunny days East, I use Storm Yellow as it can still get pretty dark in the woods.

I used my Smith's Storm series when I skied out west on sunny days. I've never preferred dark tints even for boating and kiteboarding.
:beercheer:

Tominator

Totally in the present
Skier
Flat light. I had cataract surgery in the fall of 2022, and it made a huge improvement, but it's still an issue.

James

Out There
Instructor
I also use clear East Coast 95% of the time.

Just stop using goggles and it’s clearer still. ogsmile
Not for woods though, you need eye poking shields.

It’s shocking how fast some people in Europe ski in the fog. Made me at least attempt to try to figure something out, not least because many were not very good!

As to the OQ, Boots. As in boot pain, or simply not working so the skiing isn’t working. Can turn me off of skiing completely.

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Sorry to hear about your mishap. Heal fast.

Next time we ski together, I can show you the blind skiing technique we acquired while in W/B.

The de rigueur W/B ski fashion from few seasons back.
View attachment 231320
I would totally wear that vest and rock it! However skiing by feel would not fave helped in this situation. This was a mildly pitched run, easy to ski, but traversed midway by a narrow cat track. By the time I saw it, I was launching into the air! It would be akin to feeling the cliff’s edge right before flying off it. Too late to change course. Thank goodness it was not a cliff. I continued skiing the rest of the morning and felt fine. After a lunch break my back started to feel it and now I feel like I was hit by a car. No serious damage just old people pain! On the bright side, I had a lot of fun skiing after the mishap and before lunch!

Last edited:

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Flat light. I had cataract surgery in the fall of 2022, and it made a huge improvement, but it's still an issue.
You are the second person to bring up cataracts. I don’t have cataracts. I kind of wish I did because surgery could make this go away. I have clear goggles, yellow low light, amber low light and 3 pair of photochromic. Nothing helps. Low light is bad, but fog and white out is deadly because I can’t trust any of my senses thanks to vertigo

Sponsor

Staff online