• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Whistler or Aspen

Whistler or Aspen

• Whistler Jan 29th - Feb 5th 2022

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Aspen Colorado March 26th - April 2nd 2022

Votes: 15 68.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
Of course, if you just hang with them for the lesson, and don't engage in purposeful practice the rest of the season, it is money pissed away.
QFT

IMO, one should come away with specific answers to:
  • What did you learn?
  • How has that affected your skiing?
Otherwise, the money is better spent on new gear and/or at the bar.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
après in Aspen is oysters, fine wine, and white table cloths.
I think you're not looking hard enough... Snowmass Mall has some pretty casual and drink-focused places, and Aspen has some restaurant bar or brewery places that are much more laid back.

There's plenty of snooty/high end stuff of course, but you can find other options. Nothing may be "cheap" depending on your frame of reference (mine's the DC area, so maybe skewed) but there is some variety.

Personally, I also thought it was fun/interesting to hang out for après at the patio at Ajax Tavern, as people ran the gamut from those in furs and fancier ski outfits (who were probably the "white table cloth" crowd), to a bunch of us Ski Talkers, to a few ski-bums, to some younger locals and families. It's just a patio and very casual, and you can watch people coming down the slopes.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
This is correct.

For some reason though, a lot of people on here seem to like pricey and snooty, so it may be what they're after.

I.E. après ski to me is beer, half price apps, and a bar stool. après in Aspen is oysters, fine wine, and white table cloths.
You guys are confusing formality with snootiness.

There is a continuum of formality from wings eaten out of a cardboard carton on a picnic table to white tablecloth, for sure. One is less formal, one is more formal. Being formal isn't the same as being snooty. Even being pricy isn't the same as being snooty. (Unless - as Crank implies - it's gratuitous "keep the riff-raff out" pricing. That is snooty.)

Formality is an opt-in proposition; snootiness is forced upon you.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Plus his trip leader will deal with all travel and accommodations - all that's left to do is write a check and show up.
It may have been our own fault as we let one person make a bunch of dinner reservations
And there you have it. The pros and the cons.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
QFT

IMO, one should come away with specific answers to:
  • What did you learn?
  • How has that affected your skiing?
Otherwise, the money is better spent on new gear and/or at the bar.
I think it's possible for the inarticulate but effective parts of the mind and body to learn a lot from following a great model. Do you need to pay an Ikon Pass's worth of dough for one day of that? I guess it depends on your access to great skiers.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Local girl assumes too much foreknowledge. What the hell is Zane's?

Oh, sorry — if you want a more classic après dive bar experience. The Red Onion, too, but it’s been closed and not sure when reopening. Covid, but then I think they want to redo some things. Oldest restaurant in town, or something like that. If you really want some salt, Woody Creek Tavern will do, but it’s not walkable.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
(And no, not really “dive bars” but not white tablecloths either.)

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
You guys are confusing formality with snootiness.

There is a continuum of formality from wings eaten out of a cardboard carton on a picnic table to white tablecloth, for sure. One is less formal, one is more formal. Being formal isn't the same as being snooty. Even being pricy isn't the same as being snooty. (Unless - as Crank implies - it's gratuitous "keep the riff-raff out" pricing. That is snooty.)

Formality is an opt-in proposition; snootiness is forced upon you.

The quest for formality is in itself snootiness.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
The quest for formality is in itself snootiness.
I largely agree with you but you seem to have an issue with people being willing to (over)pay for some of the finer things. I've been in the construction business for most of my adult life and I know plenty of guys that eat deli food or out of a cooler daily that will absolutely splurge on vacation wth their families." Work hard play hard" is their mentality. Who are any of us to judge priorities?

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
I largely agree with you but you seem to have an issue with people being willing to (over)pay for some of the finer things. I've been in the construction business for most of my adult life and I know plenty of guys that eat deli food or out of a cooler daily that will absolutely splurge on vacation wth their families." Work hard play hard" is their mentality. Who are any of us to judge priorities?

This. I make no apologies. Neither of my parents graduated high school. I went in the service, in a sporty MOS, at 18. I was 7 days out of high school. Got out. Went to college on the Vietnam Era GI Bill. Learned my craft. Practiced delayed gratification. Invested wisely. Built a series of successful companies with my own money, at great financial risk. I earned every bit if it. My job now is to enjoy my life as much as possible, and to give back to my community through service.

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier

In other ski towns, you see a wide spectrum of people from the very rich to the middle class. Aspen does not have that same spectrum. If you're not into that exclusive 0.01%er vibe, its not a town for you.

Also, I'm not saying this about you and your friends, but my experience with people that like to dabble in the so-called finer things it's a class/status game to be able to say "I stayed there" or "I ate there". Maybe its a personality flaw of mine, but i really hate that sort of thing.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
In other ski towns, you see a wide spectrum of people from the very rich to the middle class. Aspen does not have that same spectrum. If you're not into that exclusive 0.01%er vibe, its not a town for you.

Also, I'm not saying this about you and your friends, but my experience with people that like to dabble in the so-called finer things it's a class/status game to be able to say "I stayed there" or "I ate there". Maybe its a personality flaw of mine, but i really hate that sort of thing.
I totally get it and, personally, agree with you with the "I was there too" mentality but IME they are genuinely seeking a premium experience and not just bragging rights. I may question their choices but I really can't fault their intentions.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
In my experience, the "finer things in life" are sometimes the same old thing dressed up and overpriced, but sometimes they really are wonderful and worth every penny.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
And there you have it. The pros and the cons.

Not really truly Tony. One is club trips in general. Aspen was not a ski club outing.

The snooty Aspen trip was just a condo full of friends, not a club outing. Actually, I mentioned going to Aspen for the Gathering and our friend just happened to have a week in a condo just a block from the gondola that she had won on a PBS auction. It's just that there was one person, who kind of invited herself along, who was really into the high-end restaurant scene and insisted on making reservations weeks in advance. On club trips we are much looser and tend to gather in groups of like minded people of various sizes. Not unlike like the Gatherings.

I guess there are always pros and cons.

Overall I felt more comfortable hanging around at Snowmass and will stay there next visit.

Overpriced is sometimes OK in a restaurant if it is a really exceptional dining experience. I've been to places that fit that description. I have been to more that are just over priced.

Sponsor

Staff online