• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Who would you like to ski like?

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Wow, so many names come to mind. Kathy Prophet, Heather Robertson, Julie Sauvageau, Maggie Graham. All CSIA L4's. New school - Noah Porter McLennan, (5th place last weekend in Mammoth, that kid!) Justine Dufour Lapointe....that was a great run last weekend

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I guess I think about it differently - I have plenty of role models in the ski world but they've all been listed already. What I would really like to do is be able to express myself on the mountain in a way that matches this song. Just floating through the trees, connecting the turns, drift for a second and drop down to a couple of quick flushes. Flow like water...

I think my current song would be Wastin Away Again in Margaritaville... :)

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
"Myself" is a perfectly fine answer, if a bit obvious.

But outside of skiing like yourself, which sorts of skiers do you see on the hill that you would like to ski (more) like?

I got to say, for me it's always the park crew guys when they are cruising laps outside the park. It just blows me away how they can combine very high edge angles with stylish buttering. And they can also haul ass, and they recover really well if something goes a little sideways. More than the obvious ex-racers and big mountain chargers, I envy the park crew kids play-cruising groomers skill set.
I’d probably say the L4 instructors. That’s a stretch target, one I may never meet, but it’s achievable.

My ambition is to have bullet technique that works on every bit of the mountain. I don’t want to fly the furthest or ski the fastest or etc. just ski it all at a very high level of competency.

RNZ

aka Ski Kiwi
Skier
Thanks for the thoughts RNZ. So if you're ever skiing CB I'll be sure to make some runs with you. BTW, Gwen and I skied NZ some years ago, 2 areas out of Wanaka and then Mt Hutt while visiting my brother who lived in Christchurch. Really enjoyed the skiing, the people we met and the country. Excellent place to visit winter or summer.
Absolutely Jack, CB is somewhere that I would love to ski, and now that the borders are open we are starting to think about travelling overseas to ski again.

I grew up in Christchurch so know the Canterbury fields well and have skied the Wanaka areas a lot too. I am of course biased, but I think NZ is a great place to visit any time. And our mountains might not have the vertical of North America, but the views are spectacular.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I don't get all the Marcus Caston love. He looks like he is inches away from a crippling injury the whole time.

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
First one for me without thinking about it is Marcus Eder.

In Ultimate Run, when he pops on to the groom and totally arcs those Revolts 121 kinda seals the deal.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't get all the Marcus Caston love. He looks like he is inches away from a crippling injury the whole time.

The guy skis fast on fat skis using both edges during turns. Equal pressure.
American hero for sure, what’s not to like?:ogbiggrin:

P.S. Before anyone gets any wrong ideas-I love Marcus Caston.

Reactions: BMC

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
OK I finally decided after a couple of musings.. I'm going with Jon Olsson.. Perfect combination of speed and finesse with big mountain and park skills. My favorite ALL AROUND skier.

robertc3

Out on the slopes
Skier
That he can push to what appears to be the brink of disaster and stay there run after run means that he is actually far more in control that it appears. That is what I love about him. He is pushing the limits without pushing past his limits. I think about my skiing the same way. I know that at times I look like things are about to fall apart, but the recoveries are almost always within my abilities. I might get tossed by a bump with a face that is steeper than I could retract my legs requiring the next turn to be made completely on my inside ski, but I can make that one ski inside ski turn and then get back into balance for the next turn. It probably looks like a rolling disaster, but it sure is fun.

robertc3

Out on the slopes
Skier
First one for me without thinking about it is Marcus Eder.

In Ultimate Run, when he pops on to the groom and totally arcs those Revolts 121 kinda seals the deal.
This was my second choice. I love watching Markus ski.

Sponsor

Staff online