• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

WOMEN’S World Cup 2021-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Alice Robinson switches to Salomon.

Sorry for ignorance, but what ski was she on before?

And on a race ski level, is Salomon completely independent of Atomic (aside from bindings), or do they share?

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Volkl…..forever.
Lange until MVD put her, “incentivized” her, into a green and white boot. Her Lange set up was just dialed at the time. Last U-16 year, first FIS/WC year. She was just on another level.

Boots did not work all that well{ not awful but not perfect} until a cloned green and white Langish lookalike appeared on her feet just before her winning at Jr. Worlds, then WCF’s a month later. Seemed dialed after that.

I’m sure that the issue was that the Lange had just worked so well.

Same ski as Atomic, though she no doubt is being promised to have hers all purpose built to her needs. I would assume that she has a great deal, in every respect.

Blue versus Red. Boots are different. Boots had to have been an issue. Have no intel.

Hope it works. Rumor mill that I heard had her headed in another direction. So I know nothing…….She’s a big “score” for any company. We’ll see how this works. Very well, I hope.

Fingers crossed. BTW, I don’t think her most recent skiing can be totally attributed to her setup, though it is certainly a factor. I think many forget that she is just 20.

Amazing talent, and fearless.

Best of luck!

Last edited:

Muleski

Inactive
BTW,
I speak about 10 words of Italian at most. Most related to food, wine and beer.

Does that article say that Ilka Stuhec is moving to Kaestle?

Thanks!

Muleski

Inactive
In other news, Katharina Liensberger announced on her Instagram that she will be working with Livio Magoni:

I want to learn more about this one. For sure.
Is she, and her sponsors paying him….and all of the related expenses. Which are huge.
Or is he somehow joining the Austrians as her personal coach?
Guess we’ll wait to learn more.

James

Out There
Instructor
BTW,
I speak about 10 words of Italian at most. Most related to food, wine and beer.

Does that article say that Ilka Stuhec is moving to Kaestle?

Thanks!
Using google translate, yes Ilka is going to Kastle.
———————
The New Zealander, far from the best in the last giant's season (albeit raised in super-g), will face an important change in her career, while the Slovenian sprinter tries the Kaestle card.

Alice Robinson changes, and it is certainly not new in the last few hours since the choice of the twenty-year-old New Zealander had already seemed clear for weeks.

This morning, the Queenstown gigantist formalized her farewell to Voelkl, the home that followed all the growth of a great talent who, in the 2021/22 season, suffered a lot, finishing out of the first starting group in giant and even without qualification for the specialty finals. At the same time, Robinson has risen to the level in super-g, touching the podium in Sankt Moritz, but from the next year everything will be different for Alice who will move on to Salomon. "I started skiing with Voelkl since I was 10 and it was an incredible journey, going from being just a young girl to winning the World Cup - the words of the New Zealander - I am very proud of what we have achieved and I will always remember everything special and extraordinary lived together.

The time has come for a change and I am excited for the new chapter ”.

A time of revolutions also for Ilka Stuhec; in the case of the bi world champion in downhill, the separation from coach Stefan Abplanalp had already been known for some time, now also the news of the change of materials arrives to try to be reborn after very difficult seasons. As reported by skinews.ch, the Slovenian sprinter leaves Stoeckli and will attempt the adventure with a historical brand like Kaestle.
————-

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Salomon and Atomic pretty much exactly the same. ”Consumer” FIS exactly besides top sheet. Völkl/Dalbello is great, don’t think it was a problem per see, but Alice is young and very aggressive. Experience will be of more importance than brand. She is a phenomenal talent. Reminds me of a young Anja Pärsson.

James

Out There
Instructor
Can the new boots and coach get her to not blast her way into the fences before the finish?

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
I want to learn more about this one. For sure.
Is she, and her sponsors paying him….and all of the related expenses. Which are huge.
Or is he somehow joining the Austrians as her personal coach?
Guess we’ll wait to learn more.
From what I have heard a while ago, he's going to be part of Austrian team not Liensberger personal coach.

Muleski

Inactive
Thanks, @Primoz. Makes a lot more sense to me. The announcement had me sort of confused. Did not see a private coach, own program, as making sense. For a bunch of reasons. But her IG post made it sound like Livio was joining her, as HER coach. We’ll see.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Just read an article (in German) about Magoni becoming the head coach of the OSV women's technical team. OSV's new alpine director, Herbert Mandl, did the hiring here and it seems that the intent is to make some of the one-discipline wonders (e.g. Liensberger) into overall World Cup threats.

Of course, we all know Magoni's approach is one that tends to burn out talent so this could be brilliant - or brilliantly awful.

Ivan

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just read an article (in German) about Magoni becoming the head coach of the OSV women's technical team. OSV's new alpine director, Herbert Mandl, did the hiring here and it seems that the intent is to make some of the one-discipline wonders (e.g. Liensberger) into overall World Cup threats.

Of course, we all know Magoni's approach is one that tends to burn out talent so this could be brilliant - or brilliantly awful.
Well, I wouldn't quite agree that Liensberger is a one-discipline wonder: she has one World Cup podium in GS, a World Championship bronze in GS, and two junior worlds silver medals in GS. And in the WC GS standings, she was 12th, 13th, and 10th in 18/19, 19/20, and 20/21 respectively, before dropping to 21st in 21/22. So while slalom is clearly her best discipline, she is a very good GS skier, too.

Overall, though, I agree with your sentiment. She is clearly (exclusively) a tech skier, and when I saw the news, I also started wondering what the plan is and whether the goal is to turn her into a more of an all-rounder.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, I wouldn't quite agree that Liensberger is a one-discipline wonder: she has one World Cup podium in GS, a World Championship bronze in GS, and two junior worlds silver medals in GS. And in the WC GS standings, she was 12th, 13th, and 10th in 18/19, 19/20, and 20/21 respectively, before dropping to 21st in 21/22. So while slalom is clearly her best discipline, she is a very good GS skier, too.

To the OSV that's erring on the side of "Slalom Wunderkind, Riesenslalom ganz normal." Yes, Liensberger has seen some GS success but not at a consistently-hitting-the-podium level like she did in SL in 2020-21. The culture of the OSV is "all winning, all the time," so having Magoni in the coaching mix is a move to make this happen for Kati (and likely others) in multiple disciplines with some regularity.

We'll see how this plays out, same caveats/descriptors as I used above.

Ivan

Out on the slopes
Skier
To the OSV that's erring on the side of "Slalom Wunderkind, Riesenslalom ganz normal." Yes, Liensberger has seen some GS success but not at a consistently-hitting-the-podium level like she did in SL in 2020-21. The culture of the OSV is "all winning, all the time," so having Magoni in the coaching mix is a move to make this happen for Kati (and likely others) in multiple disciplines with some regularity.

We'll see how this plays out, same caveats/descriptors as I used above.
I totally agree that if the standard is "all winning, all the time," then of course Kati's GS results don't look that impressive. At the same time, compared to the athletes like Foss-Solevag or Noel, who rarely, if ever, even start GS (and even if they start, don't make it to the second run), or to Worley, who scored all her career podiums in GS, Liensberger is definitely more versatile. But I don't think it makes sense to argue about the semantics; I think we both agree on what the goal presumably is.

otto

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Volkl…..forever.
Lange until MVD put her, “incentivized” her, into a green and white boot. Her Lange set up was just dialed at the time. Last U-16 year, first FIS/WC year. She was just on another level.

Boots did not work all that well{ not awful but not perfect} until a cloned green and white Langish lookalike appeared on her feet just before her winning at Jr. Worlds, then WCF’s a month later. Seemed dialed after that.

I’m sure that the issue was that the Lange had just worked so well.

Same ski as Atomic, though she no doubt is being promised to have hers all purpose built to her needs. I would assume that she has a great deal, in every respect.

Blue versus Red. Boots are different. Boots had to have been an issue. Have no intel.

Hope it works. Rumor mill that I heard had her headed in another direction. So I know nothing…….She’s a big “score” for any company. We’ll see how this works. Very well, I hope.

Fingers crossed. BTW, I don’t think her most recent skiing can be totally attributed to her setup, though it is certainly a factor. I think many forget that she is just 20.

Amazing talent, and fearless.

Best of luck!

Alice is hard at work on her new product as we speak… Today she is in Mammoth training DH track with the US women…

Attachments

• EFA4551F-9B3D-4EBE-B477-7D4E4C560EE4.jpeg
    EFA4551F-9B3D-4EBE-B477-7D4E4C560EE4.jpeg
    251.6 KB · Views: 85

Muleski

Inactive
Alice is hard at work on her new product as we speak… Today she is in Mammoth training DH track with the US women…

Thanks for the update, @otto!
And the pics.
Hope she starts to get dialed in.
Enormous fans in our house.
When somebody sleeps in one of our guest bedrooms as a U16, then makes it to the WC, let alone wins some…..it’s fun. She is one of a few.

And when exWC friends say “Holy S….watch how she turns a ski”…..we do!’

I’m hoping for very good things for her. And watching!

Thanks again!

Ivan

Out on the slopes
Skier
Well, apparently, people who said that Michelle Gisin would follow Luca De Aliprandini weren't joking :) It's official now, Michelle has joined Salomon:

Seems like Salomon is having a good off-season so far with two excellent additions to their team in Gisin and Robinson.

Edit: Robinson, of course. Read a text about soccer earlier in the morning and somehow confused her last name with that of Liverpool's fullback.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online