• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Your car is your Baselodge

AaronFM

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
This year, I've seen the rather simple solution of an umbrella sheltering the space between the body of the car (or truck) and the open passenger-side door. Just park the umbrella on top of the body and the top of the door. It was snowing with enthusiasm, but things were fairly dry in resulting sheltered space.

Sorry, I should have taken a picture.

A number of people have shown up with canopies and propane heaters. This works if you have a van or a pickup to carry all the stuff. Not so much for a sedan. Setting up the canopy seems like a hassle, too, but it all works well for a leisurely luncheon experience.
I think I’d need an oversized golf umbrella to fit between the barn doors of the Clubman. I was going back and forth in my head how much to invest and engineer something that will be tossed into a corner at the end of the year and likely never used again. I miss the base lodge and being able to talk with folks about their day, get a hot drink, and take my boots off in 65° F luxury.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I think I’d need an oversized golf umbrella to fit between the barn doors of the Clubman. I was going back and forth in my head how much to invest and engineer something that will be tossed into a corner at the end of the year and likely never used again. I miss the base lodge and being able to talk with folks about their day, get a hot drink, and take my boots off in 65° F luxury.
1611622437420.png

Hmm... I'd think a big blue tarp and some magnets would be pretty easy to setup/takedown, and just throw in the back. Or maybe even just a magnetic shower curtain....

Put the magnetic end along the roof and let it drape over... provided it's not too windy.

Davec1

Booting up
Skier
There were heavy restrictions on the number of patrons at food vendors on the mountain, with many of them choosing not to open over the past ski season (we're in Australia). Additionally, ski school only ran a half program finishing at midday to avoid having all of the kids congregate in lunch rooms, consequently we had to get creative with feeding kids in the parking lot.

We found these 12v meal heaters to be excellent this past winter. $20 on Amazon.

12v Heater Bag.jpg

I ran them off a secondary 12v battery. They were switched on as we put our boots on and left the car in the morning, by lunchtime they were piping hot. I found some great pyrex containers with sealable lids with breather vents that fitted in the heater bags perfectly.

Glass Container.jpg

Kids had warm lasagne, pasta, toasted sandwiches, risotto, cottage pie, soup, casserole and curries. Plenty of good food to recharge and keep them going for the day. Beeter than the nuggets and chips they are usually fed at ski school or the $100 ++ per day to feed everyone lunch on the mountian.

We even hunted down and old school folding picnic table and chairs:
1-d7cee3e6f1-7.jpeg

AaronFM

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
View attachment 122154

Hmm... I'd think a big blue tarp and some magnets would be pretty easy to setup/takedown, and just throw in the back. Or maybe even just a magnetic shower curtain....

Put the magnetic end along the roof and let it drape over... provided it's not too windy.
I like that magnetic shower curtain idea.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
There were heavy restrictions on the number of patrons at food vendors on the mountain, with many of them choosing not to open over the past ski season (we're in Australia). Additionally, ski school only ran a half program finishing at midday to avoid having all of the kids congregate in lunch rooms, consequently we had to get creative with feeding kids in the parking lot.

We found these 12v meal heaters to be excellent this past winter. $20 on Amazon.

View attachment 122283

I ran them off a secondary 12v battery. They were switched on as we put our boots on and left the car in the morning, by lunchtime they were piping hot. I found some great pyrex containers with sealable lids with breather vents that fitted in the heater bags perfectly.

View attachment 122284
Kids had warm lasagne, pasta, toasted sandwiches, risotto, cottage pie, soup, casserole and curries. Plenty of good food to recharge and keep them going for the day. Beeter than the nuggets and chips they are usually fed at ski school or the $100 ++ per day to feed everyone lunch on the mountian.

We even hunted down and old school folding picnic table and chairs:
View attachment 122285
Resorts may have a hard time getting quite a few people back into their cafeterias if they can make things work like this....

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
If all goes as planned, first powder day for me this week. Any suggestion for getting zipfits on in a foot or more of snow?

James

Out There
Instructor
33C248BF-4C6B-4916-8B92-0BC05E0428AA.jpeg

New technique. Put liner and boot on left foot, put liner on right foot with overshoe over liner. Drive with shell on floor and heat on. Goes on pretty easily even for a plug. Reversing requires warming up car and waiting to heat shell. Not bad.
Over boots are Neo that I got from Campmoor I think. Already had them.

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
View attachment 124924
New technique. Put liner and boot on left foot, put liner on right foot with overshoe over liner. Drive with shell on floor and heat on. Goes on pretty easily even for a plug. Reversing requires warming up car and waiting to heat shell. Not bad.
Any recommendations for a manual shift driver???

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
View attachment 124924
Not new... I've done it many times but not for a looong drive.. just shorter ones..

One Boot Shuffle? Who Else Does It?

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
That's what I do. Drive in my zipfits with overshoes on. Keep shells warm (heated boot bag in my case.)

Slide zipfits into liners.

Sponsor

Staff online