• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

16 y.o. runs down bicyclists in TX

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I think having police officers ride bicycles on roads with traffic as part of their training might be what’s needed to change their mindset a little bit.

Throw a coal roller into the mix while they’re at it.
I've thought for years anyone going for a driver license should have to ride a motorcycle and pull a trailer so they know what it's like when no one is paying attention around the biggest and smallest vehicles on the road.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Cops reflect the society they work in. Urban cops in Toronto are pretty good about cyclists. We have bike cops..my buddy is one. But we have a lot of cyclists. Get out in the country a bit and it's more the rural mentailty..bikes are for Lance Armstrong assholes, children and people with DUI's... Only one of that group of three gets any respect...

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This has a very cynical view... but one possible (likely?l outcome of that is police officers who are further convinced that cyclists just shouldn't be allowed on the road at all.
Based upon my interactions with police officers while on a bike, I don’t think it’s cynical at all.
Police don’t make the law, they enforce it. ogsmile Around here, police are completely lax in charging drivers who endanger or, injure cyclists.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
It's a fact that most people who aren't cyclists are less patient with groups of road bikers and more annoyed with having to share the road with them. Same is true of city busses. Folks who have never had to rely on bus transportation get more annoyed about getting stuck and having to wait behind a city bus making a stop.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It's a fact that most people who aren't cyclists are less patient with groups of road bikers and more annoyed with having to share the road with them. Same is true of city busses. Folks who have never had to rely on bus transportation get more annoyed about getting stuck and having to wait behind a city bus making a stop.
A lot of absolutes in that post. :nono:

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I am a cyclist and I have very little patience for groups of road cyclists who block traffic en mass instead of riding on the right side of the lane as prescribed by our laws. I have very little patience for cyclists who ride on the sidewalk. I have very little patience for cyclists who run stop signs and red light. At least for the folk who ride on the sidewalk or won't ride on the right side of the lane (when there isn't an obstruction there), my impatience is tempered by some compassion for them; some of these cyclists (not all) do it because they are afraid to get run over on the right side of the lane (it must be awful to live in fear), but as to the other scoff laws - they deserve what they get.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
A lot of absolutes in that post. :nono:
And at least one in this one.. Just sayin if you've not been on the other end of the situation, your level of empathy is very likely lower..

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
And at least one in this one.. Just sayin if you've not been on the other end of the situation, your level of empathy is very likely lower..
I suggest you go back and read my posts in this discussion, none are absolutes nor knee jerk reactions.

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
“walking a mile in another man’s shoes” comes to mind.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Based upon my interactions with police officers while on a bike, I don’t think it’s cynical at all.
Police don’t make the law, they enforce it. ogsmile Around here, police are completely lax in charging drivers who endanger or, injure cyclists.

There is a way to fix this that works: if an officer doesn't challenge a driver who causes injury or reckless endangerment, take the officer to court. As you say, they are there to enforce the law, not make it up. And now that contributory negligence laws are being reworked to help people on bikes and pedestrians get a more fair shake at compensation it's likely a tactic that will work.

Yes, it'll take time and money - though there are lawyers out there who work for people on bikes, scooters, and foot and would likely be happy to help be a trailblazer.

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
One thing I have observed is that if I have to pass a cyclist w/ a line of traffic behind me and I make an exaggerated move, the next 3 cars will do the same. Each one to a slightly lesser degree. The 4 car, nothing.
And that is why I ride squarely in the right side tire track: hugging the edge of the pavement is an invitation for some idiot to blow by six inches from my elbow at 50 mph in oncoming traffic.

It must be awful to have any significant time in the saddle and not be able to figure that out.

Last edited:

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There is a way to fix this that works: if an officer doesn't challenge a driver who causes injury or reckless endangerment, take the officer to court. As you say, they are there to enforce the law, not make it up. And now that contributory negligence laws are being reworked to help people on bikes and pedestrians get a more fair shake at compensation it's likely a tactic that will work.

Yes, it'll take time and money - though there are lawyers out there who work for people on bikes, scooters, and foot and would likely be happy to help be a trailblazer.
That’s good news.

I had a very bad experience with a police officer while riding a bike, and a very bad experience with a local judge during a trial for a man who drove his large truck around our group of riders and stopped directly in front of us, causing us to crash. (It was a deliberate move, as he got out of his truck and proceeded to yell and scream that we didn’t belong on the road).

In the first experience with the police officer, I was riding on the shoulder of a rural road with my husband. He was in front, I was behind. I passed him by crossing over that white line that divides the shoulder and the car lane. I had looked behind me before passing and saw his car, way back. Cop pulled us over. Said that crossing the line between the shoulder and lane was not allowed. I said “No, you‘re wrong.” He got pissy and threatened a ticket. Then he told us to ride off.

We rode off, my husband in front again. I passed him as before. Cop was still stopped on the shoulder at that point.Cop pulls up and gets on his intercom speaker and says, “Now you’re really pissing me off, missy!”

MISSY???? Really?? I later found out that particular officer had a bad reputation for harassing cyclists. He was a state police officer with many years on patrol.

Second experience: The judge said this truck driver didn’t actually stop in the road because his truck had antilock brakes and there were skid marks and “vehicles with antilock brakes don’t leave skid marks.” WHAT?? Never mind the many skid marks left by…our bicycle tires as we desperately tried to stop in time. Then he proceeded to rant about cyclists who don’t stop at stop signs, etc. That was NOT what we did. And…we were riding on a road with highly visible “State bicycle route” signs in an area populated by many road cyclists.

Judge then admonished the police officer who had charged the driver with reckless endangerment.

So what is that police officer going to do the next time he gets in a similar situation?

The takeaway I got from both situations? Cars Rule the Road.
Despite the fact that, our state law proclaims bicycles are Vehicles that are allowed on roads, the laws protect drivers of motorized vehicles, not operators of unmotorized vehicles.

Last edited:

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
And that is why I ride squarely in the right side tire track: hugging the edge of the pavement is an invitation for some idiot to blow by six inches from my elbow at 50 mph in oncoming traffic.

It must be awful to have any significant time in the saddle and not be able to figure that out.
I agree with you and do the same. I am not sure how your statement was a reply to me though.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I suggest you go back and read my posts in this discussion, none are absolutes nor knee jerk reactions.
It goes both ways on absolutes. I'd waver every single person who's driven for more than a year has gotten a little ticked off about getting stuck behind a pack of cyclists or city bus while driving. I'll also double down that the level pf patience/degree of ticked off is more often not correlated with their amount of experience on the other end of that scenario.

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd waver every single person who's driven for more than a year has gotten a little ticked off about getting stuck behind a pack of cyclists
You mean when they intentionally make it so you can't pass for several miles even after you've slowed down so you can pass at a safe speed and distance? Yeah, that pisses me off too. While I have the absolute right to ensure that drivers pass me in a safe manner, I also have the obligation to allow them to do so; that means I don't stay three wide going up a short hill at 2 mph only to speed up to the posted limit on the backside so we can once again go up the next hill at 2 mph. Arrogant, self-righteous assholes like that are what make drivers hate all bikers.

Last edited:

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Like all things in life there is good & bad. Most bicycles are just enjoying their sport. I respect & share the road with them. As I expect the same from them. I've tapped my town horn on occasion for a heads up. Sometimes I get a wave other times I'm #1. Either way 53 tons of rolling Iron, there're no second chances. If you have a non-compliant rider then the last alternative is the aux train horn does get their attention. Riding on a public road seems dangerous to me. Ride safe.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Like all things in life there is good & bad. Most bicycles are just enjoying their sport. I respect & share the road with them. As I expect the same from them. I've tapped my town horn on occasion for a heads up. Sometimes I get a wave other times I'm #1. Either way 53 tons of rolling Iron, there're no second chances. If you have a non-compliant rider then the last alternative is the aux train horn does get their attention. Riding on a public road seems dangerous to me. Ride safe.
Most of us non road riders who know road riders get it. It could be someone we know there peddling along having a great day. Triple down that not a single asshat intentionally spraying diesel soot on a pack of riders has ever peddled fifty in a day themselves.

One thing that comes to mind reading this thread is that we lost a dearly loved community member here and on similar forums Skiing in Jackson to a similar accident.. albeit not quite as wreckless/careless as this one. Someone didn't give him enough room and hit him on a country highway..

Try not to get aggerated or impatient folks. Pain in the ass or not, they have every right to be out there even if it makes you late..

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Where?

Sponsor

Staff online