• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

16 y.o. runs down bicyclists in TX

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
Reading statements from cyclists in the first group he smoked:
Bicycling.com
One of the cyclists, Chase Ferrell, was behind the main group of six cyclists and says the driver passed by and “rolled coal” on him first, as reported by the Houston Chronicle.
<snip>
Ferrell then witnessed the driver speed up towards the group of six cyclists ahead of him in an attempt to roll coal on them next—and that’s when the driver plowed into them.

“The reason he couldn’t stop is because he was accelerating to blow more diesel fuel on these cyclists,” Ferrell said about the attack, according to Fox26 Houston. “He ended up hitting three people before his brakes even started.”

Image from linked article.
That doesn't look like he brushed them, but more like he ran directly into them.
View attachment 144345

That picture says it all.

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
Great development. I am glad to see the DA taking this seriously and outing the Waller Police Department.

The publicity may have exposed all kinds of issues with the police department and the end result may be a more fair one for the cyclists than if the police department had done some cursory investigation.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
the end result may be a more fair one for the cyclists
It sounds like there may be a more fair outcome for LOTS of people in Waller. To live in an area where the Good Old Boy Club is prevalent is no bueno. A cleanup may be appropriate.

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
This incident hits close to home, literally. The Northwest Cycling Club organizes a weekly Saturday morning group ride out of Hockley, TX, which is along this Old Hempstead Hwy where this accident occurred. Typically, there will be over 150 riders of various skill levels taking part. Riders normally break off into groups of 10-20 based on avg speed, with other smaller groups such as the road race team, triathletes, etc, breaking off to do their own preferred ride-of-the-day. For several years, I was the NWCC race team director and rode this road many, many times.

Hempstead Hwy is preferred by cyclists because it is four lanes wide of smooth pavement in a rural setting, has very little traffic and has a couple public locations for parking a large amount of vehicles which can be used as a staging area. Once HWY 290 was built, this road was essentially abandoned by those traveling from Houston to Austin or College Station. Just the locals from Hockley, Waller and Hempstead use the road. There are many county roads that branch off into even more rural areas which are more isolated, more challenging and more scenic. Most group rides start off on Hempstead Hwy, branch off for longer training routes and end up on Hempstead Hwy for the last fifteen miles back to the barn, so to speak.

Being that it is a four-lane road, it is legal for cyclists to ride two abreast on it. Doing so does not inhibit motorized traffic, especially since there is so little traffic anyway. Given the width of the lanes, that there are two in each direction, and it is a straight flat road for a good section of it, I don't feel there is any need for bike lanes or bike paths.

In my opinion, the main risks of riding here are brought about by the animosity towards cyclists of rural types (bubbas) who get a kick out of harassing those, such as cyclists, who can't defend themselves against an oversized pickup. I've had coal rolled on me out on one of these rides in the past. It seems to be a rite of passage amongst bubbas with diesel trucks. What probably contributes to their sense of entitlement is that the law enforcement knows them and their families while cyclists are seen as outsiders. The locals will stick together and protect their own, unless an independent prosecutor and judge are both on the case. The local judges cannot be counted on to be impartial when judging between a local vs outsiders, IMO.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
In my opinion, the main risks of riding here are brought about by the animosity towards cyclists of rural types (bubbas) who get a kick out of harassing those, such as cyclists, who can't defend themselves against an oversized pickup. I've had coal rolled on me out on one of these rides in the past. It seems to be a rite of passage amongst bubbas with diesel trucks. What probably contributes to their sense of entitlement is that the law enforcement knows them and their families while cyclists are seen as outsiders. The locals will stick together and protect their own, unless an independent prosecutor and judge are both on the case. The local judges cannot be counted on to be impartial when judging between a local vs outsiders, IMO.

Thanks for all the helpful information for those of us trying to understand all this.

I hope your trip can go forward, because there should be more hesitation to mistreat cyclists now. But no guarantees, for sure.

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
Thanks for all the helpful information for those of us trying to understand all this.

I hope your trip can go forward, because there should be more hesitation to mistreat cyclists now. But no guarantees, for sure.
I don't see there being more hesitation to mistreating cyclists unless and until drivers such as this teenager are prosecuted and suffer real consequences which are made public

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
I don't see there being more hesitation to mistreating cyclists unless and until drivers such as this teenager are prosecuted and suffer real consequences which are made public

Good point. This incident could actually embolden some who are pretty sure they won't run down the cyclists, and want revenge for the upcoming Big Trouble for the kid. I hope Big Trouble.

How does polluting the air and harassing people make you a powerful guy? :doh: :huh:

Ignorant jerks.

udailey

Browsing Garage sale and eBay
Skier
I'm from Texas and idiots do this rolling coal thing ALL the time. I drive a lot and on a driving day I can find 2,3, sometimes 4 guys doing this with their diesels. I have a diesel sprinter van and it doesn't even smell like diesel. They modify it so that they can fill the street with smoke. This smoke thing is not rare.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The local judges cannot be counted on to be impartial when judging between a local vs outsiders, IMO.
It has been suggested by someone I know who works in a law office that the cyclists' attorney made some of the initial statements to help push for a potential change of venue away from Waller.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
A quote from the Chief’s statement:
none of the deficiencies that have been identified were due to poor policy or procedure within the department, nor were they influenced by who was involved in the crash or any other personal associations. To put it quite simply, they were due to a lack of knowledge on our part”
Seems rather contradictory. Isn’t a lack of knowledge a direct result from some poor policy or procedure?

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink