• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2020-2021 Mammoth/June Mt Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
I’m bringing my 12 gauge on my first trip and going to put an end to the wind-o meter on chair one.
I’m on it.

JayT

Tahoe Powder Junkie
Skier
So is it worth heading down there yet? Chair 2 laps can be pretty fun in low tide conditions with lots of little drops, etc. - but is there enough coverage for that yet?

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
So is it worth heading down there yet? Chair 2 laps can be pretty fun in low tide conditions with lots of little drops, etc. - but is there enough coverage for that yet?
Friends there said i was decent coverage, lines @2 were loong over the weekend.

Screen Shot 2020-11-16 at 8.34.33 AM.png
screen shot, top of Stump Alley across from McCoy staton this morning

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Mammoth did a great job in opening this weekend.

I will add to what Craig said, there was a lot of self policing with the crowds of Millenials/Gen-X'ers telling others to put their masks on because they don't want to lose skiing privileges.

B15DF21A-EC4F-44D1-897E-B441B8F2B2E7.jpeg A7E9B5E3-3ACC-413D-A844-A72AFBF0BEC4.JPG

We got to spend some time Craig Albright, VP of Skier Services.

Craig talks about the different approach they took this season with concentration on opening more lifts and expanding terrain laterally verses trying to get the upper terrain open.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Operations Update From Mammoth Mt

To Our Mammoth Family,

At 11:59PM tomorrow (Dec 6), the Southern California region "Stay Home” order will go into effect. Mammoth Mountain will continue to operate for skiing and snowboarding during this time as permitted by the State of California. We recognize, as does Governor Newsom, that outdoor recreation is essential to Californians’ mental health and we will continue to provide skiing and riding for our guests.

Mammoth Lodging Collection properties will be limited to homeowners and critical infrastructure services during the length of the order. If you have reservations and need assistance, please email [email protected] and someone from our team will get back to you within 48 hours.

Food and Beverage services will be adjusted as will retail capacity. Restrooms, lockers and Guest Services will be available for access in our lodges for limited use. We will continue to update you with more information as it becomes available.

Thank you for your understanding,
Mammoth Mountain​

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
They have just killed the town of Mammoth Lakes by completely closing out the 3 weeks around Christmas! It is ridiculous, IMHO. It is so much smarter to put proper mitigation in place - enforce it - and allow businesses to operate to the best of their ability. All these crazy rules create is the desire to cheat.

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
They have just killed the town of Mammoth Lakes by completely closing out the 3 weeks around Christmas! It is ridiculous, IMHO. It is so much smarter to put proper mitigation in place - enforce it - and allow businesses to operate to the best of their ability. All these crazy rules create is the desire to cheat.

What ?

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sucks to be a destination resort these days relatively inaccessible for day trips; Tahoe is better situated with Reno and Sacramento areas close enough for day trips. Can we assume that this falls under the State-wide 3 week shut down, so will re-open on the 29th or shortly thereafter?

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
I have zero confidence that this will be a 3 week shutdown, we have been dealing with this pandemic for 10 months and still can't figure it out.

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We can assume... but even if the numbers improve there will probably be a Christmas spike closely followed by a New Year's spike. So they may reopen only to close down again.

There is a widespread belief that Mammoth is remaining open for skiing only to avoid compensating pass holders for a shutdown. I wonder how long they can continue to stay open given their operating costs. I guess the cost of closing is greater than the cost of staying open. To their credit, they have not cut back on the number of lifts...yet.

Am I pessimistic? Yes, I wonder why...

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
My belief is that Mammoth may try to open for xmas-new years holidays for whatever days are left over but close down most of Jan and early Feb then try to reopen by presidents holiday until end of year. I think the vaccine "remedy" (if it actually works) will allow resorts to reopen again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online