• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.
TS
KevinF

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Does that mean we’re cancelling the official gathering or will decide later?
Any way to get to the Peak lodge without taking the gondola? I guess you take that Triple, then walk? Looking at avoiding gondola cabins.

So long as Killington itself remains open, the Gathering remains “on schedule” as detailed in the first post of this thread.

I am asking attendees to carefully consider their personal risk/reward situation.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
Any way to get to the Peak lodge without taking the gondola? I guess you take that Triple, then walk? Looking at avoiding gondola cabins.
The triple is now a brand new quad. And and I guess you could walk from there (though the Peak Walkway is closed). Similar for the South Ridge quad. Neither is a short easy walk to the Peak Lodge.

James

Out There
Instructor
So long as Killington itself remains open, the Gathering remains “on schedule” as detailed in the first post of this thread.

I am asking attendees to carefully consider their personal risk/reward situation.
Just cancel it officially. If unofficially people show up, fine. Even the PGA just shut down.

Who goes back and looks at an edited 1st post? Esp since you can only do that at the bottom of the thread.

TS
KevinF

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Just cancel it officially. If unofficially people show up, fine. Even the PGA just shut down.

Who goes back and looks at an edited 1st post? Esp since you can only do that at the bottom of the thread.

I am aware that the sporting world is grinding to a halt. I believe Killington is going to make this decision for us -- i.e., they're going to shut down. They have apparently cancelled events through April anyway.

I'm curious as to whether or not the NEG attendees have been re-thinking the wisdom of attending at all. James, it sounds like you're in the camp of "shut it down".

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm curious as to whether or not the NEG attendees have been re-thinking the wisdom of attending at all.

Watching and waiting at the moment, seeing how things shake out. I had no lodging set up anyway, so nothing to worry about cancelling.

Honestly the snow situation is so bad here in New England that I'd already been hedging my bets for that reason alone. Rain, pervasive dirt, or unmitigated boilerplate will kill the plan for me, virus or no virus.

Things are changing so fast in any case that I'm just sitting here with my thistles, watching the craziness, taking it in.

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am planning on skiing as usual, I personally feel fine with limited contact with skiing being a outside sport. Kevin is in a tough place , I support him in the decision he will make either way.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm watching and waiting. I also have a Sugarbush trip before the gathering that could go either way.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm a little in the denial stage still, and not ready to cancel yet.

But realistically I think the decision is going to be made for us before the time comes. Or at least it will be painfully obvious. Two weeks is a long time in a pandemic.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I trust everyones judgement, do what you feel is is best for you.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
I heard that VT has one case. By next Friday it will be worse.

I went to the Office and Shopping. There were about 1/4 of the workers while the rest are working from home. Our company trip was cancelled but 1/4 of them went down ahead of schedule (with no chaperone!). Looking around the office I think I saw concern on faces. We are very busy. Nobody shopping.

HR spoke firmly to us about hand washing and they sent a YouTube. All of the door handles are wrapped. Co-workers expressed concern for me since I am elderly.

I am planning to ski on Sunday. Planning to bring disinfectant for the safety bar.

puptwin

good ideas, poorly executed
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am aware that the sporting world is grinding to a halt. I believe Killington is going to make this decision for us -- i.e., they're going to shut down. They have apparently cancelled events through April anyway.

I'm curious as to whether or not the NEG attendees have been re-thinking the wisdom of attending at all. James, it sounds like you're in the camp of "shut it down".
At this point I'm more concerned about the snow conditions than the virus. I skied Killington last Sunday and it was mostly scratchy snow that softened up late in the day but was never good.

Last edited:

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
At this point I'm more concerned about the snow conditions than the virus. I skied Killington last Sunday and it was mostly scratchy snow that softened up late in the day but was never good.
Monday afternoon was some best soft corn of the year. Tuesday night rain then freeze killed conditions again. Two weeks is plenty of time for snow surfaces to improve. They plan to resume snowmaking once the temps drop.

Last edited:

Chef23

Getting on the lift
Skier
I might be able to make a late appearance my sons lacrosse season has been cancelled.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, I'll be the first to officially say I'm not coming. Both of my sons, my wife and I have asthma. Given the nature of this virus I'm not willing to risk any of our health. I suspect either Killington will shut it down soon or that the snow conditions will deteriorate enough that it won't matter. What a lousy winter we've had here. Thank god I made it out to Utah last month.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We are planning to come.

As someone said, things do change fast theses days... Just 2 weeks ago we were still planning to be in the Dolomites this week and, while in JH we were discussing whether or not our club would cancel. Between then and last week the situation changed dramatically.

Conditions should be exactly what one would expect for that weekend.

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Agreed the show must go on and people can make their own decisions on whether or not they attend. Those with health issues that make them more open to contracting are in a different decision camp. The Gatherings have always been casual meetups and the smaller ones even more so.

Looking at the Killington web cams now it looks like conditions are pretty good and the place is empty. You could get your own gondola car if it is still running, but I rarely take the gondola anyway, I just bought a spring pass, so hoping they remain open. My biggest concern right now is will there be enough skiers to create the fun soft bumps once the snow turns to corn. Things may change between now and then, but as of now I don't see a reason to cancel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online