• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic 2021-2022 Mid-Atlantic Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Thanks for mentioning this. Picked up 2 for Sunday. If it means anything our reservation # is 1777. From the looks of it I suspect we’re order 1777 and it will be jam packed. I’ll get some photos should be a hoot, for a couple runs at least until it gets dangerous.
Still blocked by my AV software. No issues with anything else anywhere on the web for me. Will go on the phone and try that.

I've got one for Sunday #1787.. checking in at 11:45am. Not getting up before 8am hahaha. See you there..

Last edited:

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
Still blocked by my AV software. No issues with anything else anywhere on the web for me. Will go on the phone and try that.

I've got one for Sunday #1787.. checking in at 11:45am. Not getting up before 8am hahaha. See you there..
Should be full Zoo mode by then! Hey - great opportunity to work on those extra-short-radius turn skills and reaction times :ogbiggrin: Bring the rock skis. Tape the top sheets.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Should be full Zoo mode by then! Hey - great opportunity to work on those extra-short-radius turn skills and reaction times :ogbiggrin: Bring the rock skis. Tape the top sheets.
I've been every season for the past 15 years. Sunday is nowhere near as bad as Saturday.. And it gets nuts around 1:30-2 after church lets out. You'll probably be skiing right up to the lift until abut 11:30am Sunday. It will be after lunch and church that the lines stack up. I'll probably be outta there about 2:30 or so. Just a few laps as you say...

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
I've got a kid in college and another graduating so no overnighters on the docket this season. So far plans are $5 lift ticket day at Appalachian. Maybe another day trip or two. Catt and Wolf are just a little out of my day trip range. Any odds of you getting farther west? I'm off Jan 2nd-4th and MLK weekend (Sunday is best)..
I'll be up to my eyeballs with newbie skiers MLB weekend. That is one of our big 4 for the year. I'm going to try and do some time at Snowshoe this year and I'm planning in going to Breck for the NSP Powderfall gathering.

jimmy

Mixmaster
SkiTalk Supporter
Hello all !. Longtime lurker here. Great to see the season getting started. Saw that Canaan cranked up the guns also. My question is are those RFID gates going in there at the base of the Quad?
Sure looks like it, that would be a new addition.

TS
johnnyvw

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hopefully on one of my trips to/from PA to NC, I'll make a side trip and hit one of the Mid-Lantic areas. Massanutten, Bryce, and Wintergreen would be the easiest, they aren't too far off my usual route. The NC areas may have to wait until after the move...maybe! LOL

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Hopefully on one of my trips to/from PA to NC, I'll make a side trip and hit one of the Mid-Lantic areas. Massanutten, Bryce, and Wintergreen would be the easiest, they aren't too far off my usual route. The NC areas may have to wait until after the move...maybe! LOL
Wintergreen's actually the closest to Raleigh/Durham. Weird that I don't go there more.. It's usually the most crowded too, I guess that's why..

TS
johnnyvw

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Really? Seems kind of in the middle of nothing, up north of Lynchburg.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Charlottesville, Stanton, lots of medium sized towns within an hour of there. gets hit from all sides I guess.
A bunch of those and especially Richmond, which is fairly large. And it's the closest to the whole Norfolk area, though not as many skiers there.

SCWVA

Spent a little time on the mountain
Skier
Lots of VA Beacher's go to WTG. Straight shot west on I64.

Cdart - Any college student discounts in NC?

Carolinacub - The yearly NSP event is a blast. I attended the one at Snowbird a number of years back. It was a lot of fun, took the avi course which was eye opening.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Cdart - Any college student discounts in NC?
There's gotta be. Catt's near UNC Asheville. The others are very close to App State. Fine question.. I will dig deeper if my kid wants to ski when he's here over Christmas break, likely just after NYDay..

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
WTG pulls a lot of NOVA, in addition to Richmond, Charlottesville, Norfolk, Raleigh-Durham.... plenty of regional base, and then literally thousands of condos and homes on the mountain. From Durham, its a pleasant drive as well. If and when the snow is good its worth it.

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Ice2Pow , @crgildart and @Keith Moon - thanks for all the feedback. This is sounding very promising as the only times I've skied at Xmas has always been after and it's usually a mess.
This trip is basically to get my son on his new boots before we head out west for an extended trip- he picked up some new boots after the season ended and he needs to get some time on them to see if there are any adjustments needed. With that being said, I'm sure we will spend plenty of time in the WT.
So a date change for our trip to Snowshoe. Due to the wife’s work schedule, we are now heading up on New Year’s Day and will ski Sunday thru Wednesday. I’m sure a couple weeks could do wonders for the mountain and conditions.

We have lodging in Slaty Fork at Elk River Inn. What’s the best place for parking at the mountain for day trippers?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
So a date change for our trip to Snowshoe. Due to the wife’s work schedule, we are now heading up on New Year’s Day and will ski Sunday thru Wednesday. I’m sure a couple weeks could do wonders for the mountain and conditions.

We have lodging in Slaty Fork at Elk River Inn. What’s the best place for parking at the mountain for day trippers?

Directly above Soaring Eagle lift. You want to not use Ballhooter lift if you can possibly avoid it.

Keep in mind that the parking lots are the windiest, coldest, iciest places on the mountain. IOW, in any kind of weather you will not like changing at the vehicle.

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
@Chip,

On weekends/holidays you do indeed want to avoid ballhooter lift if possible, as noted above. It is generally not too crowded before 10 am, so you may want to get some runs off of that lift before then. However, since you will be parking at the Top of the World lot (which is the daytripper parking lot) you will need to decide if you first want to take a green run to the bottom of Ballhooter, or if you want to start directly on the runs serviced by the Soaring Eagle lift. My usual pattern has been to take the green run to Ballhooter, ski those runs until around 10, make my way to Western Territory, and eventually make my way back to the Soaring Eagle runs in the afternoon. That plan goes out the window though if there has been fresh snow and the line under Soaring Eagle is skiable.

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Also note - one of the reasons that Ballhooter (and Powder Monkey) get backed up is that those lifts serve to connect people to different parts of the mountain - so for instance Powder Monkey does not just serve the mostly green terrain, but is the main way people get over to Western. There are ways to avoid these chokepoints, depending on your tolerance for skating a bit uphill.

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Chip,

On weekends/holidays you do indeed want to avoid ballhooter lift if possible, as noted above. It is generally not too crowded before 10 am, so you may want to get some runs off of that lift before then. However, since you will be parking at the Top of the World lot (which is the daytripper parking lot) you will need to decide if you first want to take a green run to the bottom of Ballhooter, or if you want to start directly on the runs serviced by the Soaring Eagle lift. My usual pattern has been to take the green run to Ballhooter, ski those runs until around 10, make my way to Western Territory, and eventually make my way back to the Soaring Eagle runs in the afternoon. That plan goes out the window though if there has been fresh snow and the line under Soaring Eagle is skiable.
So our first day of skiing will be Sunday Jan 2. I would think that the mountain will start to clear out after lunch. But what do you think the crowds will be Mon, Tues and Wed? I would think that most people would be leaving on Sunday and that early week would be empty. Would this be the case?
Is Ballhooter to be avoided always? Or is this really only on crowded days?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online