• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic 2021-2022 Mid-Atlantic Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
So our first day of skiing will be Sunday Jan 2. I would think that the mountain will start to clear out after lunch.
I think that is probably correct. My kids don't have school on Monday January 3rd but I don't know how widespread that is. Midweek crowds are generally very manageable and Ballhooter should be fine (with the caveat that I did not ski Snowshoe last season so I do not know how the pandemic changed things).

Dean

Lawn chair sledder extraordinaire
Skier
Seems like things start clearing out sunday afternoons. Ballhooter traffic always gets heavier around lunch and at the end of the day, but not as bad during the week.

Woodsrider427

Getting on the lift
Skier
So our first day of skiing will be Sunday Jan 2. I would think that the mountain will start to clear out after lunch. But what do you think the crowds will be Mon, Tues and Wed? I would think that most people would be leaving on Sunday and that early week would be empty. Would this be the case?
Is Ballhooter to be avoided always? Or is this really only on crowded days?

From our experience the week after New Years is still quite crowded because all the college kids are still off. I have heard some even refer to that as "college week". My kids were always in a year round school and would have 3 weeks off for Christmas so we would try to go that week. Probably not normal weekend type crowded, but certainly not empty. So I would say the timing of the lifts advice above would still apply, definitely Ballhooter early and then elsewhere.

zag

Putting on skis
Skier
So a date change for our trip to Snowshoe. Due to the wife’s work schedule, we are now heading up on New Year’s Day and will ski Sunday thru Wednesday. I’m sure a couple weeks could do wonders for the mountain and conditions.

We have lodging in Slaty Fork at Elk River Inn. What’s the best place for parking at the mountain for day trippers?
@Chip I'm only at Snowshoe early season so can't add parking advice but can offer a boot fit recommend:

Greg with http://www.skibootfitting.com/
@ Snowcreek Mountain Sports

Greg's just moved into a space in the Snowcreek Mountain Sports ski shop at Silver Creek on the access road after many years out west at Vail. If you're breaking in new boots and need adjustments. Saw him finishing up his room setup this weekend.

I didn't need any changes this trip but he comes highly recommended thru my contacts.

SCWVA

Spent a little time on the mountain
Skier
We have lodging in Slaty Fork at Elk River Inn. What’s the best place for parking at the mountain for day trippers?

Chip,
You staying at the Elk River Touring Center?

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
@zag that's good to know. The place we got my son's boots will do any adjustments with no charge. But I guess if they are a really bad fit, then this would be a great option.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Dang it. Had hoped to go get our 1st turns of the Season at App on Sunday. Not looking good. At all. Making snow through early Tues AM then they gotta stop.

Ugh. View attachment 149714
That could be 3 or so degrees off due to the elevation. I think that's actually Blowing Rock or Boone weather, not the summit of Happy Appy.

I'm still planning to head up if the lift is spinning Sunday morning.

Bigger question.. if not, do we get a TICKET for another day or a $5 credit on a full price ticket for another day??? I've never had them NOT be open any year I made the call to head up for the special..

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
That could be 3 or so degrees off due to the elevation. I think that's actually Blowing Rock or Boone weather, not the summit of Happy Appy.

I'm still planning to head up if the lift is spinning Sunday morning.

Bigger question.. if not, do we get a TICKET for another day or a $5 credit on a full price ticket for another day??? I've never had them NOT be open any year I made the call to head up for the special..
Supposed to be App Ski Mtn loc - but I hear ya - our hope is we had a solid 10+ days of base building during that cold snap and it will just be classic NC spring slush - in December :ogbiggrin: Short sleeves and sunglasses time.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Supposed to be App Ski Mtn loc - but I hear ya - our hope is we had a solid 10+ days of base building during that cold snap and it will just be classic NC spring slush - in December :ogbiggrin: Short sleeves and sunglasses time.
Go with the red, it's faster... Talkin bout wax of course..

SCWVA

Spent a little time on the mountain
Skier
we are. Never stayed here before, we are getting the farmhouse.
I've always enjoyed staying at ERTC. Gil & Mary are great hosts and serve a very tasty breakfast. The last time I stayed there, we were arriving late and they just said no worries, we'll leave the door unlocked and the lights on! Bring you XC skis (or rent them) and on go on a moonlit tour.

They use to host the WV mountain bike festival in the large field behind the restaurant. Hill climb and trials on Saturday and XC race on Sunday. For the race, they had a make shift shower built that pumped water out of the Elk River. People stood in line to use it and as soon as anyone got in you could hear them start screaming and cussing. Coldest shower I've ever taken.

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I just shot @Decreed_It a PM with my digits.. If anyone else decides to go play in the mud at Appalachian Sunday shoot me a PM with your contact info and I'll try to meet up with you. Talking to you @Old boot and @Lady_Salina

If it's not open than maybe next time... at Sugar or Beech or Wintergreen. I plan to hit those right after the New Year and maybe MLK Sunday or Monday with my son.

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
I just shot @Decreed_It a PM with my digits.. If anyone else decides to go play in the mud at Appalachian Sunday shoot me a PM with your contact info and I'll try to meet up with you. Talking to you @Old boot and @Lady_Salina

If it's not open than maybe next time... at Sugar or Beech or Wintergreen. I plan to hit those right after the New Year and maybe MLK Sunday or Monday with my son.
Replied - yeah so, it hit 80 in Charlotte today :eek: If there's WROD left we'll probably get on it, checking web cams and making a call tomorrow. Really warm up there in the high country.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Replied - yeah so, it hit 80 in Charlotte today :eek: If there's WROD left we'll probably get on it, checking web cams and making a call tomorrow. Really warm up there in the high country.
36"-46" base is manageable through the weekend. Definitely gonna look more like March than December though. Got you in my phone. My check in is 11:45 but I'll try to get there a little earlier if I can make good time. I hope the warm weather sloppy conditions keeps the crowds down. Regardless, I'm only staying til 2 or 3.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Just a head's up that Appalachian in NC was not enforcing any mask requirements inside or outside. There were only a few instructors wearing masks in the lift line, guessing those working with toddlers. Maybe 20% of the staff in the lodge was bothering to mask up. Outdoors and in the lift line, 95% no masks. I would expect the other NC resorts to be the same but can't confirm..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online