• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic 2021-2022 Mid-Atlantic Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Is that even all that much better now?

That's a fair point! I was at Okemo last weekend and it was challenging snow and not many trails open. Not too much has opened since at most areas and it's going to warm up until next week. Whee?

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That's a fair point! I was at Okemo last weekend and it was challenging snow and not many trails open. Not too much has opened since at most areas and it's going to warm up until next week. Whee?
Even after that storm that came in…Friday? Saturday?

I was at Killington the Monday-Wednesday prior. Challenging snow, indeed. But there were MUCH better conditions on the learning hill at Snowshed. ogsmile

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
You know its faster to fly to DIA/SLC than drive to Vermont. just sayin....
Baggage claim, one pair of skis, rental car line, then drive to the resort... Works out about the same but have your own car and ski box full of gear for the Vermont option.. Anything under 12 hours and I'm gonna drive. Now, when skiing's only good farther and you don't have 4 days free for driving flying's the only way..

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
It's not that bad. Leave here at 6:15, land DIA 8:30, Loveland by noon. Actually, once did the same with a direct flight from GBO to PSM when that route existed, skiing at Cranmore by noon. But I admit I am down for good road trips as well, once drove to Deadhorse. Meanwhile, my kids are watching Supernatural - real Christmas spirit here :).

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Even after that storm that came in…Friday? Saturday?

Saturday. It left 6-8 inches that the groomers simply flattened onto the boilerplate base. It didn’t adhere and was scraped off by the masses of folks who do a controlled side slip down the trails by 10am. And that new snow didn’t cause any trails to open until Monday, when another trail (Wardance) was given the all-clear. That wouldn’t have improved things much, to be honest: still too many people on too little acreage.

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Saturday. It left 6-8 inches that the groomers simply flattened onto the boilerplate base. It didn’t adhere and was scraped off by the masses of folks who do a controlled side slip down the trails by 10am. And that new snow didn’t cause any trails to open until Monday, when another trail (Wardance) was given the all-clear. That wouldn’t have improved things much, to be honest: still too many people on too little acreage.
Yeah, that’s what I thought may happen, based upon the conditions there I experienced. Honestly, I’d sometimes rather ski a hard packed groomer than that stuff, especially when there’s lots of folks on the trails.

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hey! I have a telemark lesson at Blue Mountain tomorrow AM. For that, it doesn’t matter that much what conditions are like. ;)But, they managed to open a bit more terrain and a little bit of snow (maybe) is forecast for tonight/tomorrow AM. After New Year’s it appears that temperatures will be more winter-like.

Last edited:

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Baggage claim, one pair of skis, rental car line, then drive to the resort... Works out about the same but have your own car and ski box full of gear for the Vermont option.. Anything under 12 hours and I'm gonna drive. Now, when skiing's only good farther and you don't have 4 days free for driving flying's the only way..
Yup, and the rental car situation now puts a damper on the flying option.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I looked at the webcams this morning.. and at least today, it's still holding up better than the worst I've around there. Got a few more days to go before snow miser returns though..

Dean

Lawn chair sledder extraordinaire
Skier
^^^^^
have to admit I've never seen that before. he ain't got no pants on - and then sits on an ice throne. It's all very disturbing...

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
A great thing: Duluth has a nice little ski hill that would be great for telemark, with a XC ski area attached. And a bigger one about an hour and a half to the north. And other XC ski trails. Seems like my kind of vibe. I’ll find out soon!
My brother and his family moved up there a couple years ago. My sister-in-law loves winter (even though they don't ski/board/XC). If we ever get up there to visit them in the winter I will probably check out Lutsen.

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Worst start to the season I can remember was 5 or so years ago when Wintergreen did not open until Jan. 6. Well, I guess technically they managed to open with a small ribbon on potato patch in late December to give the Xmas crowd something to slide on for a day or two before shutting down. But I don't think that counts.

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Blue Mountain was blowing snow this AM on multiple trails. Only half, or less than half, the mountain is open. However, the Valley is now open….Main Street and I think Lazy Mile down to the valley is the top to bottom skiing option for now.

I had a tele lesson but was on the learning run triple chair only LOL. I need a bit more to open up until I make tele turns on the green runs there.

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
Pretty rough situation up at the springs for the holiday week. Left the snowiest place in the country (I.e. Tahoe) to spend the holidays in PA and nothing but rain thus far. Was up here Tuesday/Wednesday headed back to the Burgh for Xmas festivities then got back up here yesterday. They were blowing when I left Wednesday but temps are no longer cooperating.

Full on ice storm this morning from 6-11am then rain with some pea soup fog all afternoon off and on. Decent amount of people out but it’s just cortina, Wagner, fawn, Santa beard and a park on the north face. Haven’t skied but trying to figure a time when its not to crowded and doesn’t rain so I can take my little nieces out and hopefully progress them from the magic carpet to riding the lift this time.

Interesting to see the new construction/reroute of the avalanche chair. They took out a bunch of trees, graded, and really opened it up on the top.

Wagner around midnight last night
58FAA9D2-F091-4A58-B4AF-6000A2225256.jpeg
the ice storm
C7459204-8BB4-4ACD-A4E5-E49693982458.jpeg New avalanche chair.. circle where the old lift shack ramp let off
64CBC657-C46A-484B-9B1A-7E6A3A6BC4CC.jpeg 3A9F4339-3025-4658-AD3E-DBBF77AE6B41.jpeg 29545B5C-15DB-46A6-9A8E-CEC91E52A82A.jpeg

Attachments

• ED45CA9A-507B-4E41-A86D-B51D9B42DF0F.jpeg
    ED45CA9A-507B-4E41-A86D-B51D9B42DF0F.jpeg
    85.5 KB · Views: 3

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
I got in my first ski day of the season at Roundtop. And first day in the new boots.

It was a slow go from northeast Ohio (where I was visiting family for a few days). Freezing rain, snow, tractor-trailers jackknifed off the I-80 in several places, stretching a normal 4 hour drive to a bit more than 6. At least the precipitation stopped by the time I got on the slopes just before 2pm.

7 runs open. Cloud covered the entire mountain initially, slowly cleared as the afternoon wore on. Lift line at Minuteman Quad pretty steady at 1-3 minutes. Spent 3.5 hours alternating between Minuteman and Upper/Lower Lafayette. Some thin areas, grass showing, on Minuteman; icy/scraped areas on Upper Laf, browned out snow on Lower. Given how uncooperative the weather has been, they did a good job overall.

From the top of Minuteman.
1640707627831.jpeg

Forgot to bring ski poles. Had my hiking poles in the Jeep.
1640709757610.jpeg

TS
johnnyvw

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
We are considering retirement places (my husband retires May 2023) and we do want to go where there is a real winter. However, we are both looking at cross country skiing as our activity to do together since my husband doesn’t enjoy alpine skiing. I do agree with you about the changes to skiing and I don’t like it. I don’t like elitist things. We are considering Duluth MN because it checks all the boxes on paper. And we are visiting there the first week of January, to experience their winter. A great thing: Duluth has a nice little ski hill that would be great for telemark, with a XC ski area attached. And a bigger one about an hour and a half to the north. And other XC ski trails. Seems like my kind of vibe. I’ll find out soon!
We spent the past 5 days down in NC. T-shirt weather pretty much the whole time, was 74 yesterday...you can have Duluth.... :roflmao:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Someplace in Alaska hit 67 today... 20 degrees above their previous record high for this day. Ride the bike for an hour today. REALLY good riding weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online