• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah 2021-2022 Utah Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
After a brief involuntary hiatus I got back to skiing today at Snowbird. It was like the clock rolled back two months. It was stormy and temps in the 20s. There was about 2-3" of dust on crust and visibility was poor, but not terrible. I got in about 5 or 6 runs between 9-11 AM before heading off down the valley to do some chores and home improvement stuff.
Believe Mineral Basin chair was running, but I only skied the Peruvian chair today.
29 apr peruvian.jpg

I kept waiting for the sun to come out, but this view of Anderson Hill was about as bright as it got, maybe this afternoon will be clear? Tomorrow's supposed to be a more normal spring day,
anderson 29 apr.jpg

It's always kind of fun to drive down to springtime in the valley after collecting some snow on your car from up in LCC.
lcc 29 apr.jpg

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
No pics,, forgot my phone, but was up at Snowbird today 4/30. It was gorgeous spring day and the place was empty! ONly skied from 2-4pm, snow still reasonably fast over much of the mtn at that time. Heading to Solitude for closing day tomorrow :)

edit: a couple of pics from Snowbird 30 Apr:
Mineral Basin is still full of snow!
mineral basin 30 apr.jpg
View into Little Cloud Bowl, it was a snowy April
vince bird 30 apr.jpg

Last edited:

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Closing day at Solitude, 1 May 2022. Cloudy with temps in the 40s. Snow stayed pretty fast and consistent until late in the afternoon when things got a little gloppy. Also, a little bit of wet snow fell late in the day. @P-Ute heated up some homemade chili for us out of the back of his car and it really hit the spot on a coolish day.

It was reported that this was the first time in Solitude history that they skied into the month of May. It's been a pretty snowy month this April so coverage looked good to me.
L-R: Vince, @P-Ute and @Wasatchman entering Honeycomb Canyon.
honeycomb 1 may.jpg

The Honeycomb return via the Eagle base was long and slow, but it was open on May 1.
honeycomb return 1 may.jpg
@P-Ute , @Daniel , @Wasatchman and Vince gathering for lunch.
lunch 1 may.jpg
@Wasatchman and a parting of the clouds near the Solitude summit. Really nice to get lift-served skiing in the month of May at Solitude. Hope they do it again next year!
al 1 may solitude.jpg

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
Hit the bird over the weekend. Saturday was a very good day after fridays 4 inches . alot of offpiste skiing .
Sunday was much tougher conditions . very firm w/ poor visibility . super flat light in Mineral , where there are no trees to relate to . and fog rolled in the front side thick.

This is a view from top of Mineral chair looking towards Regulator Johnson .
IMG_1179.JPG
Mineral basin below
IMG_1177.JPG
looking at the fog from above Peruvian .tough run back to the truck! IMG_1183.JPG
had to stop and snap a pic on the drive home
IMG_1203.JPG
with snow in the forecast and coverage being where its at I'm hoping for a couple more weekends of lift served skiing

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm flying from Seattle to SLC on Friday, have a wedding to attend on Saturday. I might be able to ski for a few hours on Saturday, and more likely on Sunday. The forecast for Sunday looks like full-on winter conditions. ogsmile

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Fully recovered from a pulled hamstring injury at Snowbird 3/12. Now skied 2 days at PT, 2 at N*, 1 at Kirkwood. Excellent pt speeded up recovery.
Decided strain from 9 of 11 days skiing after taking most of Jan/Feb off is cause.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm flying from Seattle to SLC on Friday, have a wedding to attend on Saturday. I might be able to ski for a few hours on Saturday, and more likely on Sunday. The forecast for Sunday looks like full-on winter conditions. ogsmile
David, I am preparing to return east soon, but if I'm available for Sundayat snowbird I'll try to give you a few days notice.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Just noticed snowbird is reopening this Thursday-sunday. Previously they posted they would not reopen until friday. New spring hrs 8am to 2pm.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
@Jim Kenney: my tentative plan is to ski Snowbird on Sunday. Saturday is out as I have a state ski racing association annual meeting on Zoom from 6:30am-11:00am (Mountain time - it makes more sense on Eastern time but it is what it is).

If you're going to be there it's always a treat to ski with you.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
@P-Ute, @Wasatchman, myself and possibly more will be at Snowbird tomorrow in case others want to try to make some turns with us. :golfclap:
Only Peruvian running tomorrow, so Friday might be an ever better spring ski day assuming Mineral and Lil Cloud are also running Friday.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
After a number of phone calls, it appears no ski rental shops down the valley are doing rentals (or have closed for the season). The only place at Snowbird with ski rentals is Christie’s, and apparently they don’t have any more “demo” skis, only “performance” rentals which are usually a few years old. Also they open at 10am, when the resort is operating from 8am-2pm.

So I’m schlepping my ski bag with me. It’s a double bag so I could take two pair, though I’m happy taking just one pair. So what to bring?

Here’s what I got:
Blossom AM 77. I’ve used these pretty much as a daily driver all season, though it’s been a low tide season in the PNW like everywhere else, except since April.
Renoun Z90. This was my daily driver the previous 3-4 seasons. I find it pretty versatile.
ON3P Woodsman 102. Lots of tip and tail rocker and can do nicely with any amount of fresh snow from an inch to a foot.
ON3P Billy goat (116). Powder and crud, I can take them in bumps, trees, pretty much anywhere.

Suggestions, based on current conditions at Snowbird?

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
Today had some of the worst conditions I’ve experienced since moving to Utah over a decade ago. I had a lot of days like this in the PNW. I left around 10am so it might have improved but-
Only one lift open, lots and lots of avalanches & debris.
Piste was groomed wet and frozen solid so really uneven and tough to navigate. Surprised if some didn’t lose a filling or two.
Off piste was about 2-4” of snow that had consolidated then froze over a hard frozen layer. There were patches that almost skied ok but then it would grab on during transition. It almost required hop turns or big upweighting moves to transition.
I brought three pairs of skis up and none were great. Billy goats were down right terrible. The folks on slaloms seemed to be doing the best.
It is supposed to get really warm starting tomorrow so maybe that will help. Worth all the rollers and debris, I’ma little concerned about solid ice chunks lurking in the slush but we’ll see.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
After a number of phone calls, it appears no ski rental shops down the valley are doing rentals (or have closed for the season). The only place at Snowbird with ski rentals is Christie’s, and apparently they don’t have any more “demo” skis, only “performance” rentals which are usually a few years old. Also they open at 10am, when the resort is operating from 8am-2pm.

So I’m schlepping my ski bag with me. It’s a double bag so I could take two pair, though I’m happy taking just one pair. So what to bring?

Here’s what I got:
Blossom AM 77. I’ve used these pretty much as a daily driver all season, though it’s been a low tide season in the PNW like everywhere else, except since April.
Renoun Z90. This was my daily driver the previous 3-4 seasons. I find it pretty versatile.
ON3P Woodsman 102. Lots of tip and tail rocker and can do nicely with any amount of fresh snow from an inch to a foot.
ON3P Billy goat (116). Powder and crud, I can take them in bumps, trees, pretty much anywhere.

Suggestions, based on current conditions at Snowbird?
I'd say bring the AM77 and possibly the Z90. Looks like Sat and Sun will be fairly firm groomer carving days and too cool to get very soft spring snow.
Today had some of the worst conditions I’ve experienced since moving to Utah over a decade ago. I had a lot of days like this in the PNW. I left around 10am so it might have improved but-
Only one lift open, lots and lots of avalanches & debris.
Piste was groomed wet and frozen solid so really uneven and tough to navigate. Surprised if some didn’t lose a filling or two.
Off piste was about 2-4” of snow that had consolidated then froze over a hard frozen layer. There were patches that almost skied ok but then it would grab on during transition. It almost required hop turns or big upweighting moves to transition.
I brought three pairs of skis up and none were great. Billy goats were down right terrible. The folks on slaloms seemed to be doing the best.
It is supposed to get really warm starting tomorrow so maybe that will help. Worth all the rollers and debris, I’ma little concerned about solid ice chunks lurking in the slush but we’ll see.
Agree. How could such a pretty day have such ugly conditions?? ;)

I skied Snowbird today from about 830am to 1215PM. I joked that it was Mineral Basin appreciation day. Normally on a cool, but sunny spring morning like today you can go straight to Mineral for a couple of hours and get soft/friendly snow. Then move to the front of the mtn when it softens later. But Mineral and Little Cloud were not open today and Peruvian Gulch was very firm early. It got better around 10am, but then by 1130 started getting slushy/grabby in places. Very short window of opportunity.
Fri-Sun: Mineral and Little Cloud should be open along with Peruvian so there will be some more terrain/snow options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online