• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah 2021-2022 Utah Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
That area is being cleared to divert traffic away from the bottom of School Hill/Snowshoe merge for guest safety. There is also snowmaking being installed on Bullwinkle to divert traffic away from the Sweet Revenge bottleneck just above the Middle Bowl Express. The construction at the bottom of Wildcat Bowl is a water well. Wea may be getting 2 new Gax-Ex exploders near the tram and Mt Allen shoulder to facilitate avy reduction. There is a lot going on this summer.
All much-needed changes. Except Bullwinkle which used to be a favorite "side run" of mine was no more with the new Middle Bowl Express. But snowmaking to divert traffic over there sooner will be most welcome. It's a fairly wide run vs. that awful bottleneck.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
I was making a day trip to Ogden yesterday, spending a paycheck at the Costco. Passing Morgan on I-84, looking up at what appears to be a new ski hill. Woo! Freshly cleared ski runs. A little research reveals it to be Wasatch Peaks, a private hill. Well, I could see a couple of new chair lifts with the sun glinting off all the chairs. I hadn't been aware there was a new ski hill going in.

I don't know for sure, but the seat of my pants says that area is going to have an issue with sufficient snow.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Per Google Maps, here's a satellite view of the area:

Screen Shot 2022-07-29 at 22.32.14.png

As far as snow cover is concerned, the big issue will be water rights for snowmaking. If they have an adequate water supply that doesn't take too much from culinary use and can install a top-of-the-line modern snowmaking system they should be able to make things work.

Maybe.

Screen Shot 2022-07-29 at 22.35.07.png

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I took this on April 15 from Patterson. The terrain looks pretty good. They had at least one lift running last season…
D6C6F8BE-CD04-4247-B1C8-5562B4BBB6BE.jpeg

I only hope that the private thing doesn’t work out & it ends up going public

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I was making a day trip to Ogden yesterday, spending a paycheck at the Costco. Passing Morgan on I-84, looking up at what appears to be a new ski hill. Woo! Freshly cleared ski runs. A little research reveals it to be Wasatch Peaks, a private hill. Well, I could see a couple of new chair lifts with the sun glinting off all the chairs. I hadn't been aware there was a new ski hill going in.

I don't know for sure, but the seat of my pants says that area is going to have an issue with sufficient snow.
That peak actually holds more snow than Snowbasin, which is just to the north. So, I don't think it will be an issue.
The folks buying lots that they plan to build on have driven up costs in Mountain Green. They come in with cash and buy a home that they aren't even living in fulltime. It ended up pricing us out of Mountain Green, which was depressing.

Morgan County is the new Summit County.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
I couldn't tell where the upper end of the chairlifts were at Wasatch Peaks. There's a nice bowl at the top with a dirt road that winds through it to the summit. No obvious cleared runs up there, but it probably doesn't need to.

I'd always liked that area, especially in the fall. Depressing to hear it's private, which not only means I can't ski it, but how it elevated housing/land prices. I'd had my eye on Morgan or N. Ogden as a place to retire to, but my current home doesn't seem to be appreciating fast enough to let me move there.

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I just got my 2022 Notice of property valuation & tax changes for my Weber county property. All I can say is “YIKES” :eek:!!!
And likely the "value" has now decreased since that time.
I couldn't tell where the upper end of the chairlifts were at Wasatch Peaks. There's a nice bowl at the top with a dirt road that winds through it to the summit. No obvious cleared runs up there, but it probably doesn't need to.

I'd always liked that area, especially in the fall. Depressing to hear it's private, which not only means I can't ski it, but how it elevated housing/land prices. I'd had my eye on Morgan or N. Ogden as a place to retire to, but my current home doesn't seem to be appreciating fast enough to let me move there.
The one upper lift does end in that bowl. That's about all I could ever see from my vantage point across the valley.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Brace yourself. I am thinking things could drop 20 percent from the peak in many Utah locations.
And they'd still be overpriced. Unfortunately due to circumstances we had no control over, we were one of those who bought at near the top. Some of life's curveballs really suck sometimes.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
And they'd still be overpriced. Unfortunately due to circumstances we had no control over, we were one of those who bought at near the top. Some of life's curveballs really suck sometimes.
Bad luck. I'm surprised to hear you purchased. I think you had mentioned you were going to head back to the Pacific Northwest in a few years. I never would have predicted things going up so much in the first place so my prediction of a significant decline could be dead wrong.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Bad luck. I'm surprised to hear you purchased. I think you had mentioned you were going to head back to the Pacific Northwest in a few years. I never would have predicted things going up so much in the first place so my prediction of a significant decline could be dead wrong.
Job market here still going off. Personally think higher interest rates might control prices but there's very little inventory. Even if we get a medium recession residential market may hold steady for a while.

As for investment market, may have more volatility in a market down turn if that happens.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Brace yourself. I am thinking things could drop 20 percent from the peak in many Utah locations.

Makes me very glad I sold my mom's place in SLC when I did in early May. Prices have taken a sharp dive since then.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
That article smacks me as way too optimistic versus what I've been seeing. I've seen a number of 10 percent price cuts and still sitting on the market for weeks now versus what would have sold in a day. Keep in mind there is often a lag of when price declines really show up in the data. Sellers hold out for several months not realizing just how much the market has turned before finally capitulating on price. That's where I think we are today. I could be wrong but anecdotally the market went from red hot to ice cold in very short order.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Got tired of paying someone else's mortgage and didn't want to have to deal with losing our housing again. I agree that there is real possibility of a significant decline--I think a lot of folks are going to be underwater again. I won't this time around barring a HUGE decline and if that happens, we'll stay put awhile longer.

ss20

Enjoying this dance with gravity
Skier
A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
That article smacks me as way too optimistic versus what I've been seeing. I've seen a number of 10 percent price cuts and still sitting on the market for weeks now versus what would have sold in a day. Keep in mind there is often a lag of when price declines really show up in the data. Sellers hold out for several months not realizing just how much the market has turned before finally capitulating on price. That's where I think we are today. I could be wrong but anecdotally the market went from red hot to ice cold in very short order.

I agree. I moved here in November just in an apartment with the intent of getting a home in the next 1-2 years. I'm checking listings every few days and the price drops keep coming and listings are staying longer.

I think the real estate market drop is going to be more severe than the media reports make it out to be. After 2 years of easy money in the stock market, stupid low interest rates, cheap gas prices, and home values skyrocking we're in for a tough reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online