• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern Rockies/Alberta 2022-2023 Big Sky Resort/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
As far as I know Boyne still owns 100% of the original portion of the resort's ski area. I think both the Moonlight Basin and Spanish Peaks are also privately held.
This is unlike many other resorts that are on Federally owned land and must get operating permits.

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
As far as I know Boyne still owns 100% of the original portion of the resort's ski area. I think both the Moonlight Basin and Spanish Peaks are also privately held.
This is unlike many other resorts that are on Federally owned land and must get operating permits.
Trying to decipher some of these borders, but that does appear to be correct:

Looks like Big Sky etc. are lodged between Lee Metcalf Wilderness and Gallatin National Forest, but not actually within either of those (except maybe some backcountry areas).

tele

Putting on skis
Skier

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh my, what a change from Chet's vision. When I went back to Big Sky after 16 or 17 years in CB for the winters I was blown away by the changes I encountered. Is it better now? Darned if I know, but it sure as hell is bigger in every way. Thanks for posting that Mr. Slarver.

Last edited:

Black Dog

Its all downhill from here..
Skier
Just curious with the new tram going in, do you think they will ever have a groomer down from the top?

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just curious with the new tram going in, do you think they will ever have a groomer down from the top?
A few years ago there was some talk about putting a lift up Liberty Bowl and grooming a swath of that bowl. While my preference is no grooming off the peak, running a winch cat up the Liberty Bowl could happen during a good snow year. The grooming challenge would be handling grooming the typically thin snow and scree ridden entrance to Liberty Bowl.

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
A few years ago there was some talk about putting a lift up Liberty Bowl and grooming a swath of that bowl. While my preference is no grooming off the peak, running a winch cat up the Liberty Bowl could happen during a good snow year. The grooming challenge would be handling grooming the typically thin snow and scree ridden entrance to Liberty Bowl.
Though depending on where the lift topped out maybe grooming the entrance wouldn't matter? Couldn't it be build to end below the ridge but still access Yeti Traverse? (Confess I'm not that familiar with the geography/geology up there)

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
There was a lot of talk about it back then. I was told Stephen Kircher squashed the idea because he concluded there wasn’t enough snow to support it and he thought it would spoil the “high alpine” experience.
The Yellowstone club was mentioned as a likely source of funds. I think it still makes sense but I don’t think you could take it all the way past the snow fences. It would be a world class experience for advanced skiers who aren’t overly adventurous.
On days the tram was down the hard core would still hike up to Yeti.
Probably a moot point now with the big investment in the tram.

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
Probably a moot point now with the big investment in the tram.
Yeah, definitely thinking that. There are two benefits to such a lift: (1) relieve pressure on the tram to get people to the Peak; (2) eliminate the need to go all the way around on Duck Walk (w/ or w/o using Shedhorn) to lap the Peak. The first reason is gone. The second reason is catering to a relatively small group of skiers, especially now with per-ride tickets where doing tram laps has even less urgency for most people as it's no longer all you can eat (or shred).

Black Dog

Its all downhill from here..
Skier
If they have no plans on putting grooming and snowmaking up the peak I am trying to understand the logic of building a 70 person tram with the idea of only running it at half (or less) capacity as they are stating.
I know they are planning on some summer traffic but still seems like not a very efficient deployment of assets. BTW, How busy it up there in the summer?

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
If we build it, they will come? Who knows?
Yes it will be a summertime attraction but non-skiers loved to ride the tram for the view until the long waits and then the new pricing pushed them out. Part of the new tram includes an observation deck at the top with a 360 degree view and a glass floor. It’s why the new top terminal is located above the old one. Boyne expects to attract a lot more none skiers with the new gondola, the new mid mountain food service and the tram. The extra tram space is partly for those sightseers who can’t ski the steeps but want the high alpine experience.
A lot of groups and families have nonskiers as part of their group. The new food area and tram gives these non skiers a place to be with their fellow travelers.

tele

Putting on skis
Skier
If they have no plans on putting grooming and snowmaking up the peak I am trying to understand the logic of building a 70 person tram with the idea of only running it at half (or less) capacity as they are stating.
I know they are planning on some summer traffic but still seems like not a very efficient deployment of assets. BTW, How busy it up there in the summer?
Current tram is too small. Makes no sense to put small tram cars on a new tram at say 30-40. Maybe such a car doesn’t even exist. No way in hell snowmaking is going on a 11k peak. The amount of electricity needed to pump water that high would be INSANE!

So it makes a lot of sense actually. Today the line was like 40-50 people long all day.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
^^^ i’m not sure what line you were in but when I skied by, noonish, it was one of the longest tram lines I’d ever seen.

It will be hard to outgrow the new tram at +\~ 70 people. The guest who wants to ride scenic who will only typically go once will have an affordable ride and the average day user rarely goes more than 2X. Brilliant strategy !
The iconic bucket has two days to go till the fat lady sings, what an amazing run its had and what an incredible season its been.

@Black Dog - to answer your questions, people come for the winters and stay for the summers, it’s just as special. The only grooming up top with be wind grooming for the foreseeable future. Mother Nature usually does a great job of it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online