• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern Rockies/Alberta 2022-2023 Big Sky Resort/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonyPlush

Out on the slopes
Skier
I just booked flights to Big Sky for the first week of February. Hoping the rocks will be filled in by then? And that my southern friends won't be freezing too much?

Last time I visited was early/mid-March 2019, and conditions were fantastic.

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
I just booked flights to Big Sky for the first week of February. Hoping the rocks will be filled in by then? And that my southern friends won't be freezing too much?

Last time I visited was early/mid-March 2019, and conditions were fantastic.
It's never 100%, but by then usually things are filling in pretty well. They may be cold - you never know how cold it will be.

TonyPlush

Out on the slopes
Skier
It's never 100%, but by then usually things are filling in pretty well. They may be cold - you never know how cold it will be.
Appreciate the insight. Now let's hope these forecasts deliver!

Along those lines, any insight on how much the mountain has changed over the past three seasons? My last visit was 2019... Ramcharger 8-pack just opened but most of the ski world still hadn't heard about it. Looks like the secret is out, management has added a few more bubbles, and they're now charging a fortune for lift tickets and even the tram... apparently to rein in the crowds? Can I still expect no lift lines at Big Sky? (For weekday skiing?)

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
Secret is out! I expect you'll find more lines than in the past, but still not crazy, especially once you're out of the base. Biggest problem may now be Six Shooter, because there's no escape if there's a line (whereas you can always lap RamCharger if Swifty is backed up). That said, lines are probably worst during peak weeks - after Christmas, MLK, Presidents Day so when you go it may not be as bad. But lines still means 10 minutes tops except in oddball situations.

The biggest change since you were last there is the opening of Swiftcurrent 6 - really nice upgrade. 6-seat version of Ramcharger - bubbles, heated seats, mat loading, etc.

And, yeah, upcharge for the tram. On the other hand, much shorter lines for the tram! People I talked to (which is far fewer I think that some of our local posters) said BS had to do it because of the increase of Ikon pass users, who tended to come with the view of "if I'm coming to Big Sky I gotta ski Lone Peak". Sounds like the tram charge will be permanent even when they finish the new one that's going in by next season (23-24) and is partly done now.

tele

Putting on skis
Skier
Secret is out! I expect you'll find more lines than in the past, but still not crazy, especially once you're out of the base. Biggest problem may now be Six Shooter, because there's no escape if there's a line (whereas you can always lap RamCharger if Swifty is backed up). That said, lines are probably worst during peak weeks - after Christmas, MLK, Presidents Day so when you go it may not be as bad. But lines still means 10 minutes tops except in oddball situations.

The biggest change since you were last there is the opening of Swiftcurrent 6 - really nice upgrade. 6-seat version of Ramcharger - bubbles, heated seats, mat loading, etc.

And, yeah, upcharge for the tram. On the other hand, much shorter lines for the tram! People I talked to (which is far fewer I think that some of our local posters) said BS had to do it because of the increase of Ikon pass users, who tended to come with the view of "if I'm coming to Big Sky I gotta ski Lone Peak". Sounds like the tram charge will be permanent even when they finish the new one that's going in by next season (23-24) and is partly done now.
I saw this week it appears BSR just replaced the haul rope on Sixshooter. Quite disappointing. That lift should be scrapped. There is major volume going into that side of the hill with various development. LMLC and BSR don't seem well aligned on the reality over there yet with BSR seemingly running years behind where LMLC is running.

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
I saw this week it appears BSR just replaced the haul rope on Sixshooter. Quite disappointing. That lift should be scrapped. There is major volume going into that side of the hill with various development. LMLC and BSR don't seem well aligned on the reality over there yet with BSR seemingly running years behind where LMLC is running.
Yes, I saw that happened - didn't mention it because it's irrelevant. And agree that they need to do something about uphill capacity from that base. Part of it is the layout/design of the area. If you ski the MB side you almost have to end up at SixShooter - there's nothing mid-mountain nor a way to access the terrain off Lone Tree without using 6S. When Swifty kept going down a few years ago we had lots of comments here about how screwed BS would be if it went down long term. Same is true of 6S.

Though if I were making investment decisions I'd put in a new lift from 6S base area up to Lone Tree lift or top of Lone Tree to provide access to some great, but not easily accessed, skiing before replacing 6S.

Last edited:

tele

Putting on skis
Skier
Yes, I saw that happened - didn't mention it because it's irrelevant. And agree that they need to do something about uphill capacity from that base. Part of it is the layout/design of the area. If you ski the MB side you almost have to end up at SixShooter - there's nothing mid-mountain nor a way to access the terrain off Lone Tree without using 6S. When Swifty kept going down a few years ago we had lots of comments here about how screwed BS would be if it went down long term. Same is true of 6S.

Though if I were making investment decisions I'd put in a new lift from 6S base area up to Lone Tree lift or top of Lone Tree to provide access to some great, but not easily accessed, skiing before replacing 6S.
Yea. It would seem like 2 lifts out one left on SS path and one right to LT is the better way to go. The issue is that side is cold in the AM. Bubbles and heat would make it much more pleasant over in the shade till 10-11.

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
Yea. It would seem like 2 lifts out one left on SS path and one right to LT is the better way to go. The issue is that side is cold in the AM. Bubbles and heat would make it much more pleasant over in the shade till 10-11.
My expectation is that any new/replacement lifts, at least those from base areas, will have bubbles/heated seats. Southern Comfort lift almost certainly will, though they may ask Montage to finance that . . .ogsmile

Tiki

The Pirate’s Daughter
Skier
I get cold just talking about that lift. I really thought all the new buyers would have demanded a bubble. YC and SP has them. The envy factor is strong at MB.

Tiki

The Pirate’s Daughter
Skier
My expectation is that any new/replacement lifts, at least those from base areas, will have bubbles/heated seats. Southern Comfort lift almost certainly will, though they may ask Montage to finance that . . .ogsmile
Agreed. Southern Comfort has more traffic than ever with lines can get stupid outrageous now. It’s so deserving of a (bubble) upgrade.

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
I saw this week it appears BSR just replaced the haul rope on Sixshooter. Quite disappointing. That lift should be scrapped. There is major volume going into that side of the hill with various development. LMLC and BSR don't seem well aligned on the reality over there yet with BSR seemingly running years behind where LMLC is running

Redundancy is needed and a lift up to Lone Tree is an obvious solution. It will probably be heated and covered since Boyne thinks that is the standard for most new lifts going forward. It will also provide access to future Moonlight expansion above the golf course. Nothing has been announced. Gondola-Tram-Learning Center-Midmountain restaurant complex completion will come first.

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
While the bigsky2025.com site has, um, evolved since it was originally created 6 years ago, @Lift Blog still has a description of what was originally there. https://liftblog.com/2016/08/24/big-sky-2025-a-150-million-vision-for-the-next-decade-on-lone-peak/

Pretty interesting to look at. Obviously timing has changed, but they currently make no mention of various new/replacement lifts at MB (Iron Horse, Headwaters, mid-mountain Lone Tree) or Thunderwolf becoming a bubble 6 pack. Seems like some of the ambitions have cooled . . . and I suspect the high interest rates and questions about where the economy is going may temper the future speed of development.

(I would say given how things have played out, I'd put a 6 place bubble on Southern Comfort before Thunderwolf.)

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
Interesting. A lot has happened in six years. Who would ever have thought the resort would close with only a few hours notice in early March one year and the new tram completed a few years later!
I agree with you. The pressure to upgrade Southern Comfort grows every year. New heated lift plus basic rest rooms are needed.
I ski Thunderwolf every ski day and it’s seldom crowded unless there is a mechanical issue. The terrain could support more uphill capacity but there may be more cost effective solutions than replacement.
I’d guess the very expensive Tram-Gondola-ski school-mid mountain restaurant will continue to be the top investment priority until it’s completed.

Tiki

The Pirate’s Daughter
Skier
My guess is SC upgrade coming sooner than later pressured by the Montage completion.
Totally agree. If you're a member or guest at SP, part of your overall experience can include a ski concierge to "help" you click into your skis at SP and grant access to your members-only private yurt at the base of the Southern Comfort lift. Add an upgraded bubble to the Southern Comfort line and their already established bespoke experience is elevated, yet everyone with a ticket wins. The new lift for One & Only on the Moonlight side may force the Six Shooter upgrade for the same reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online