• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado 2022-2023 Colorado Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Got it!

Breck was pleasantly uncrowded and under-reported. Boot deep snow was the rule. The snow was light and fast but gave plenty of speed control, too.

IMG_20221206_094849873_BURST000_COVER.jpg
The view from near the top of American. The snow on C-chair is cummulative from at least yesterday, but probably much longer.

strava6142206138239299349.jpg
Upper Lehmans was (newly) open along with Briar Rose. They are working like mad to get 7 open.

afski722

Getting off the lift
Skier
Breck opened the T-Bar today...... one of the earliest openings in recent memory.
Peak 7 (Independence & Freedom) scheduled to open Fri 12/9

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Ajax was phenomenal today. Way, way, way more snow than reported. We were in 12-15” all day. It was nuking when we left at 3 p.m.
View attachment 185147
Joey and I celebrated our fortunes at the Woody Creek Tavern, a joint Hunter S. Thompson frequented.
I was wanting to go there last winter during the gathering.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Ajax was phenomenal today. Way, way, way more snow than reported. We were in 12-15” all day. It was nuking when we left at 3 p.m.
View attachment 185147
Joey and I celebrated our fortunes at the Woody Creek Tavern, a joint Hunter S. Thompson frequented.

I was wanting to go there last winter during the gathering.

If your a fan, it is sort of a shrine. Cool place.

I should have done it. It was one of those cases where I would have had to mount a paddling-upstream campaign to convince people to go to this place I'd never been and could not vouch for, that was a bit inconvenient. With 20-20 hindsight I should have just said, "I'm going. Y'all can come with me and thank me later, or else listen to me give you crap when I come back."

BTaylor

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Skier
Breck opened the T-Bar today...... one of the earliest openings in recent memory.
Breck posted a short video of this afternoon's T-Bar startup and skiing in North Bowl. I missed the rope drop today, but will hit it tomorrow...

Attachments

• T-Bar is Open 12-6-2022.mp4
    559 KB · Views: 0

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Breck posted a short video of this afternoon's T-Bar startup and skiing in North Bowl. I missed the rope drop today, but will hit it tomorrow...

My favorite lift in Colorado

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier

Nice little write up on "The Gems" of Colorado. Loved Sunlight when I skied it and have heard tremendous things about Powderhorn, Cooper and Monarch, and Granby Ranch is now a 2nd home to me. Quotes seem to indicate the sport is healthy.

IMG_2487.JPG

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
and Granby Ranch is now a 2nd home to me
Granby is special to me because of the two amazing XC centers in the immediate vicinity.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Great news, A-basin opened the Pali lift. They have been stuck at 68 acres open because the Lenawee lift isn't ready yet.

A nice shot of Slalom Slope from Al's blog:

12-8-22%201.jpg

He posted this slide under the Pali lift a couple of days earlier. :geek:

12-7-22%204.jpg

Any bets on if they get Lenawee open before Beavers?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Great news, A-basin opened the Pali lift. They have been stuck at 68 acres open because the Lenawee lift isn't ready yet.

A nice shot of Slalom Slope from Al's blog:

12-8-22%201.jpg

He posted this slide under the Pali lift a couple of days earlier. :geek:

12-7-22%204.jpg

Any bets on if they get Lenawee open before Beavers?
With that kind of snow instability on that side of the mountain, I'd put money on Lenawee. I'm sure the folks installing the lift are busting their asses to get it done. Mother nature on the other hand is just piling on more snow (basically a good thing) to fuzzy up the Beavers equation.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
First day on t-bar for me. It was really blowy and the visibility was low.

IMG_20221208_104102542.jpg
This is a welcome sign at t-bar.

strava3572418920853646875.jpg
Pretty much the entire north half of Horseshoe was roped off. Outlaw and south was all that was available. The road back to t-bar wasn't open either. After a dubious run down Outlaw (mostly bad vis issues) the next runs were on 4 o'clock in nice snow. 3rd buckle deep in certain places. Things are looking good for early December.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Vail today was awesome... mid-winter conditions on everything that's open. Some trees are open, and some soft bump runs. Did 25,300 vert for my first day of the season. (Maybe too much - I'll be hitting the Advil tonight.)

This afternoon I paused at the top of some bumps (maybe 10 turns down to the next groomer) and an instructor was nearby with a few students and called out to me:

Ins: Are you going to ski these?
Me: Yep
Ins: These are level 4's (pointing to his students - high beginner level)... can we watch you go first?
Me: Sure... if I don't show them what to do, I can maybe show them what NOT to do

I did OK... not my best, but OK. :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online