• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic 2022-2023 New York Ski Resort/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

justplanesteve

Getting off the lift
Skier
Oh jeez.
Wife and i are spending turkey day with niece over there (still 50 mi haul, but a lot closer than from here.)
But i can see it's not going to work to sneak out & wife has the car keys. :(
I have told niece i want her to get back on the snowboard, and we can try Plattekill (40 mi) or Belleayre.
Later in the winter is going to be better for that anyway, when everything is open.

smt

bluemountain

Booting up
Skier
This is opening weekend for all the ORDA mountains. They've really upped their snowmaking game in recent years! I was shocked at how nice conditions were at Belleayre through the low (natural) snow season last year. Fingers crossed that Mother Nature pitches in soon to take advantage of this early season cold spell.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Question for Gore locals/skiers….where do people stay if headed to Gore for a long weekend? We have a group of 7…..Anybody know of any lodging they would recommend?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Easier to list what we're not.............not NE

That why it was called NYNEX. Neither fish or fowl.

Even though NYS has the most ski resort in the US, I have only skied one. The now gone Scotch Valley by Oneonta. My late BIL went to NYS U there. Started my love for skiing. Said to see it gone.

jd4326

Booting up
Skier
Agreed

Speaking for the Cats, belleayer & hunter are off to a good start to the season. No need for rock skis, but carving skis are a good idea or at least sharpen your edges. Should be a little softer the next few days

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Might head up to Windham Friday 12/2 for a day trip.

bluemountain

Booting up
Skier
Question for Gore locals/skiers….where do people stay if headed to Gore for a long weekend? We have a group of 7…..Anybody know of any lodging they would recommend?
I can't answer your question as I only do day trips, but you may want to try posting it at NYSkiBlog. There are many Gore regulars there who would know the area quite well.

Reactions: BC.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Day 3 at Bristol today-10 runs in the rain. Kept the crowds down and the snow was soft.

Yes, NY Ski Blog is a good source for NYS conditions, especially the central and eastern parts of the state.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
I like the Lodge at Beck's on Pleasant Valley Road. Alpine Lodge in North Creek gets good reviews. Those are old school motels, which have become more attractive since the pandemic. I think Copperfields in NC is open again. Those are the closest places. There's cheaper lodging 30 minutes away in Lake George or Bolton Landing. A group of 7 would do better with VRBO or Airbnb.

Almost everyone goes home every night from Gore. After ski activity is pretty limited in the winter.

dm

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I like the Lodge at Beck's on Pleasant Valley Road. Alpine Lodge in North Creek gets good reviews. Those are old school motels, which have become more attractive since the pandemic. I think Copperfields in NC is open again. Those are the closest places. There's cheaper lodging 30 minutes away in Lake George or Bolton Landing. A group of 7 would do better with VRBO or Airbnb.

Almost everyone goes home every night from Gore. After ski activity is pretty limited in the winter.

dm
Thanks for suggestions…yeah, we don’t need any night life….just a VRBO for a group to go back and have dinner/hang out/sleep.

Found a couple places on VRBO…was just wondering if anybody had a “favorite” place/listing.

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Also considering a trip up to Gore - I've never been, and am thinking about a trip up there the last week of December. I know this is hugely variable from season to season, but how much of the mountain is "typically" open at that time? Would any of the double blacks from the top potentially be opened?

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
Also considering a trip up to Gore - I've never been, and am thinking about a trip up there the last week of December. I know this is hugely variable from season to season, but how much of the mountain is "typically" open at that time? Would any of the double blacks from the top potentially be opened?
Most years we don't expect the High Peaks quad to be open before January. That serves the north side of the summit and arguably the best terrain. Rumor will not be open, Lies probably will. Topridge is open now. The Burnt Ridge quad might be open or open for race training only. Don't expect a connection down to Ski Bowl, which might not be open either.

On the other hand, last year ORDA really upped their snowmaking game, and this year Gore opened with better surfaces than ever before. On the other other hand, the weather forecast doesn't look all that good for adding terrain now, so who knows?

Gore is the ALTA of the Adirondacks. Another Long Traverse Ahead. There is a lot of interesting terrain and low angle trees, but it's dispersed over a large area. That makes it difficult to open the whole place early. New guys find it hard to read the map and end up doing long traverses back to where they started. I like the exercise but I know my way around and I know what to expect. I also glide and skate pretty well, which are important Gore skills.

In other news, Whiteface is less than an hour further and they opend top to bottom last week.

Nyskiblog dot com is the best place for Gore and Whiteface information.

dm

Last edited:

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Thanks. Would the other lift to the top (Straight Brook?) possibly be open? It would have to be if Lies is open, right?

For context, my son and I will be combining this trip with a visit to Cornell (he's a high school senior) and I was trying to limit the possible resorts to those within around 3 hours of the university. Gore seemed to be right on the edge of that, but if Whiteface is going to have more open maybe it is worth adding the extra hour. We were also looking at the Catskills resorts but they don't seem to be much closer to Cornell than the Adirondacks resorts.

Love Nyskiblog - it is one of my favorite ski sites, even though I have never skied in NY.

Last edited:

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
Both Straightbrook and the High Peaks Quad go to the summit. Lies is easier to access from the HPQ. The old High Peaks double often didn't run Xmas week, but now with better snowmaking they seem to run that more often to provide summit access without the gondola. The gondola still makes some people a little nervous because COVID. Snowmaking and lift operations generally have really improved in the last couple of years.
Avoid Windhm and especially Hunter during holidays. Plattekill is the coolest place in NY if they have good snow, which is sadly infrequently now.

dm

justplanesteve

Getting off the lift
Skier
Central, Central NY areas are finally catching up. :)
No open day announcements, but it looks like they are gearing up at least for the weekend.
Greek & Bristol have been open.
webcam Song http://24.97.120.190/cgi-bin/viewer/video.jpg
Labrador http://24.103.162.83/cgi-bin/viewer/video.jpg

Hunt Hollow looks like they are trying:

For some reason i though Elk already opened, too?
But the cams look like maybe this weekend?

And real snow forecast intermittently from Wednesday on right into next week.

Hey, it's easy to get excited over even tiny gains living among low-lying hill areas of the east coast!

smt

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Still pondering a trip to NY the last week of December. At this point we are basically deciding between Gore (9.5 hour drive) and Belleayre (7.5 hour drive). I'd be willing to drive the extra 2 hours to get to Gore, but to this point Belleayre seems to be doing the better job of opening stuff up. I think the plan is to see how things look early next week before committing to buying lift tix.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Bristol blew snow the last couple of days and is reopening tomorrow. I was there on Sunday and quit after four runs-textbook WROD on one trail. After a promising start before Thanksgiving, the weather has been uncooperative. Looks like we're heading into a better stretch though.

bluemountain

Booting up
Skier
Genuinely nice early season conditions at Belleayre today. Lots of open terrain, good snow, zero crowds. The gondola and Belleayre Express were both running though there was no easy connection between the Overlook and Discovery areas (the connector below Overlook is supposed to be open as early as tomorrow). Also, I'm seeing early projections of 8-12" from the Thurs-Fri-Sat storm (and maybe even more at Gore!) :)

Reactions: wgo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online