• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England 2022-2023 Northeast Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Skied Beaver Pond and Andre’s multiple times. Was very nice in there, came across one or two icy spots each run, but that’s for 1 turn only. Skied North Glade once, will be going back there tomorrow as it has plenty of freshies still. Came across a few sections with 4-5 turns in 6-8” of powder. Skied Buckaroo once as well, not bad with very good snow, but the others had better snow overall. Will explore more tomorrow.

This is my first time skiing here and it does not disappoint. Overall conditions are fantastic. Much better than the 3 days we just had at Stowe. Will have to ride the tram for sure tomorrow.

edit because I forgot the pics in Beavers or there about….
Thanks for the info. We haven't decided where we're going but that does look tempting. Sunday River is on the short list as well. I sure wish Jay was on Ikon. I agree with @Wilhelmson about the day pass prices.

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
So Jay Peak is legit (as my son would say). Another fun day exploring.
First ride up Jet this morning. Skies opened up for about 20 minutes and it was refreshing.
1678411798503.jpeg

Hit Timbuktu this morning, was a little hard but fun. Then rode the lift up with a local and got some suggestions. Hit up Kitz for some moguls and followed this little lady down who continues into Stateside. What a fun little transition into great snow, trees and fun bumps. So I chatted with her and her husband after we popped out and got another list of areas to ski. Ended up doing Bonnie Glades, Everglade a few times, back into North a couple more times (still great snow in there) and Hell’s Woods.
1678412682117.jpeg

1678412714251.jpeg

I leave tomorrow, but I’ll ski for a couple hours in the morning before. Have been enjoying some new skis that I picked up from @SkiEssentials (Pinnacle) while at Stowe. Some Liberty Origin96 perfect for everything I’ve skied the last couple days.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Looking at weather forecasts for weekend/beginning of the week and seeing this from The Weather Channel: Potential East Coast Storm Could Bring High Winds, Snow, Rain To Northeast Next Week

Are they usually accurate (reasonably)? Or is this just weather people getting overly excited?

I'm now wondering about driving out to Cannon or Saddleback and then working our way back into Vermont by Tuesday evening, then staying there for the remainder of the week. So, potentially driving on Tuesday.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Looking at weather forecasts for weekend/beginning of the week and seeing this from The Weather Channel: Potential East Coast Storm Could Bring High Winds, Snow, Rain To Northeast Next Week

Are they usually accurate (reasonably)? Or is this just weather people getting overly excited?

I'm now wondering about driving out to Cannon or Saddleback and then working our way back into Vermont by Tuesday evening, then staying there for the remainder of the week. So, potentially driving on Tuesday.
Both Open Snow and Skiology Weather & News are talking about a potential Nor'easter. I'm not sure how accurate any of them consistently are but with all three of them talking about it I suspect something significant will likely happen.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
They almost always identify correctly there is a storm. What they are at best 50/50 on is how much snow and where the rain/snow line is. Usually the coast gets rain and the mtn's and north country get snow. The change over line can vary a lot. Nor'easters pull moisture from the ocean, so they have the potential for dumping a foot of snow or more, but it is highly variable and guess work until 1 day before the storm.

Brian Likes Pow

Out on the slopes
Skier
No pics but Cannon was completely off the hook today. Sunny after 10, no wind, chalky snow all over. Hardscrabble is filled beutifully

Itinerant skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hit Black Mountain of Maine today. Used my Indy pass, but if you hit it on $15 thursday or even $25 friday, it might be the best deal in New England skiing. Excellent mountain. Well laid out. Glades and hike-to sidecountry for miles. Good conditions, a few icy and bare spots, mostly legit edgeable hardpack and some corn in the sun. While the mountain is awesome, the lack of ski racks is a bit weird, as people just leave their gear lying in the snow. Lodge is ok, way too many screaming children in the bar area. If you seek adult après, head elsewhere.

Saddleback tomorrow (3/12) if anyone's in the neighborhood.

PXL_20230311_194332471.jpg

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We made the long drive to Jay yesterday. It's been 10 years since I was last year and I had forgotten how much I like the place. Conditions were pretty good provided you stayed off the popular trails as they had a fair amount of scrapped off ice. The woods were fantastic. We hit Expo, Beaver Pond, Andres, Stateside, Kokomo and North glades. Beaver Pond was the best with Andres a close second once we got through the top part, which was a bit tighter than we're used to. I had a spectacular fall at the top of Green Beret where I missed the turn, caught an edge and ended up backwards. Funny and embarrassing but at least I didn't slide.

Beaver Pond
IMG_1050.jpeg
IMG_7111.jpeg

IMG_1060.jpeg

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
@TheArchitect - you need to hit Everglades- ski down JFK some and you can jump into the glades part of the way down into some really nice snow. Hell's was fun as well- not many people were skiing in there.
Have fun!

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@TheArchitect - you need to hit Everglades- ski down JFK some and you can jump into the glades part of the way down into some really nice snow. Hell's was fun as well- not many people were skiing in there.
Have fun!

It was a day trip so no chance to take your advice. Next time.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Prime weather and conditions this weekend at Sugarloaf. No wind. So much for the bum season.

Top of the backside before the steep part on High Rigger. You really have no idea what is below until you get there. EEF44702-124A-4DA0-8AE9-3E62F06CB22A.jpeg

Fronside

57AFDD00-EE62-4A97-A7C1-3CF0EE2B6360.jpeg

Lowcountry at the base of Burnt Mt. I tried to hitch a ride up at the snowcat corral but that was a no go.

B9E7D454-6167-46D1-AB2C-1B71D96FCB05.jpeg

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Oh man, looking good, I've never been at the Loaf when the top is open. Never skied any trees there either. Looks sweet. Great day at Stowe too. Warm and slushy - the good kind of slushy.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sugarloaf is forecast to get double-digit snow early next week. This is likely to be accurate, at the Eastern U16 Championships super-G is scheduled for the same time and place.
You better
Oh man, looking good, I've never been at the Loaf when the top is open. Never skied any trees there either. Looks sweet. Great day at Stowe too. Warm and slushy - the good kind of slushy.

So our first visit to Loaf was February 2019. We drove up in the morning and skied the afternoon. The backside was open but we had just got there and it was -10 at the top. It was closed or on wind hold for the rest of the week.

The last 3 years it hasn’t been open while we were there or at all maybe. It’s pretty short but sweet. It’s very steep where we went. The frontside woods in my pic are next to White Nitro, but not even close to High Rigger in steepness.

Backside was closed today, presumably to keep it from getting skied off in the warm sun.

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
So conditions at Lincoln Peak yesterday were excellent except for North Lynx which was inexplicably all sugar and ball bearings. Nice chalky grippy snow. Good coverage on Castlerock (lol, more on that later). They apparently groomed Moonshine some time in the last week, so it was teeny tiny hero bumps. Twist was more interesting. Last day of the advanced adult series was nice. We had a small group, did a lot of technical talk about bump tactics. Unfortunately my day got cut short by a sled ride down Middle Earth. Not the most fun I've had on the mountain, but it's shaping up for some excellent spring skiing if anyone else is headed up that way.

Itinerant skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
Saddleback was pretty sweet. Bluebird all day. Some ice up top where the softer stuff had been skied off, but butter down lower.

Side note: Took Rt 17 north from rumford towards Rangeley. Bad, bad idea. A full two miles is torn up, hope you don't bend an axle or flatten a tire, asphalt chunks everywhere awful. Not just your usual New England frost heaves. Be careful

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Saddleback was pretty sweet. Bluebird all day. Some ice up top where the softer stuff had been skied off, but butter down lower.

Side note: Took Rt 17 north from rumford towards Rangeley. Bad, bad idea. A full two miles is torn up, hope you don't bend an axle or flatten a tire, asphalt chunks everywhere awful. Not just your usual New England frost heaves. Be careful
Our friends took route 2 from Vermont and said route 16 north from Rangley was the same as your experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online