• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pacific NW/AK/BC 2022-2023 PNW Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
Whistler, haven't been over to Blackcomb so far this week.
A low snow week (as in elevation) - a bit daily down to the valley.
Lift lines other than the weekends a few chairs at worst - (although being completely honest weekends now seem to include Fridays and Mondays)

Visibility, Whistleresque at it's best .
At 70 I use glasses more frequently but while skiing all day without them I really haven't noticed that much difference.

Possibly demo'd my next ski, as usual another swing in the opposite direction.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Yes! A couple weeks ago I wanted to do the tour with her, but my group was to impatient. They have her schedule at the Nancy Greene hotel, probably elsewhere too.
The hotel that you are talking about used to be called Nancy Greene's Cahilty Lodge. It is a condo owned hotel that Nancy used to manage but ever since she stopped doing that the hotel changed it's name to The Cahilty Lodge. I believe Nancy's trophy case is still in the lobby.

Here is my Nancy Greene story: A few weeks ago I was in the singles line and ended up sharing the chair with Nancy and her husband Al and another guy. I told Nancy: "The western USA Rossignol rep says hello and thankyou". And here is the back story:

I few years ago I was at Big Sky and they were having a ski industry demo day. I went up to the Rossignol rep and asked him if he knew who Nancy Greene was. His response was "Sure I know who she is, at Rossignol we sponsor our athletes for life". He went on to say that he has never met Nancy but he has an autographed picture that he cherishes of Nancy Greene and Jean Claude Killy receiving the first ever Crystal Globes for winning the first ever overall World Cup Title in 1967. ( a copy of the pic is in the trophy case at the Cahilty Hotel).

I then told the Rossignol rep that Nancy Greene is the director of skiing at my home mountain and Nancy will autograph anyone's skis, provided they are Rossignals. The Rossi rep responded, "I love that and make sure you say hi and thankyou from Rossignol the next time you see Nancy". So, a coupe of weeks ago on the Sunburst Express chair, message delivered.

Last edited:

Magikarp

Putting on skis
Skier
The hotel that you are talking about used to be called Nancy Greene's Cahilty Lodge. It is a condo owned hotel that Nancy used to manage but ever since she stopped doing that the hotel changed it's name to The Cahilty Lodge. I believe Nancy's trophy case is still in the lobby.

Here is my Nancy Greene story: A few weeks ago I was in the singles line and ended up sharing the chair with Nancy and her husband Al and another guy. I told Nancy: "The western USA Rossignol rep says hello and thankyou". And here is the back story:

I few years ago I was at Big Sky and they were having a ski industry demo day. I went up to the Rossignol rep and asked him if he knew who Nancy Greene was. His response was "Sure I know who she is, at Rossignol we sponsor our athletes for life". He went on to say that he has never met Nancy but he has an autographed picture that he cherishes of Nancy Greene and Jean Claude Killy receiving the first ever Crystal Globes for winning the first ever overall World Cup Title in 1967. ( a copy of the pic is in the trophy case at the Cahilty Hotel).

I then told the Rossignol rep that Nancy Greene is the director of skiing at my home mountain and Nancy will autograph anyone's skis, provided they are Rossignals. The Rossi rep responded, "I love that and make sure you say hi and thankyou from Rossignol the next time you see Nancy". So, a coupe of weeks ago on the Sunburst Express chair, message delivered.
I was going to ask you if it's ok to ask her to sign my skis, and fortunately I do plan to the bring the Rossis.

Is the fastest way to the Top of the World via Sunburst and Crystal then, since Burfield is a slower chair?

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Is the fastest way to the Top of the World via Sunburst and Crystal then, since Burfield is a slower chair?
Yes Crystal and Sunburst are slightly faster but may not be so if you factor in getting from the top of Sunburst over to the bottom of Crystal where there could be another short lift line. The Burfield chair starts from lower elevation and so it offers a couple hundred more vertical than Sunburst and Crystal, but the real reason to ride the Burf is to ski the runs it serves on the lower mountain.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice day at Baker. Good cold snow stayed soft all day. Chairs mostly empty. Only downside was I forgot my contacts so skied all day in a blizzard with glasses. The Peak 110s rock. Set a personal best: 22 Gabl laps.

Attachments

• AC47B39D-FECF-4E14-B7E0-8EC40732C699.jpeg
    AC47B39D-FECF-4E14-B7E0-8EC40732C699.jpeg
    105.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 8CBA5A87-8174-43A0-B273-7A4697C238EA.jpeg
    8CBA5A87-8174-43A0-B273-7A4697C238EA.jpeg
    127 KB · Views: 9
  • 32B55309-63D6-424D-B2F4-7FEEDEC965C4.jpeg
    32B55309-63D6-424D-B2F4-7FEEDEC965C4.jpeg
    87.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 4B81B194-9347-47A7-92FD-8F1DF5A35448.jpeg
    4B81B194-9347-47A7-92FD-8F1DF5A35448.jpeg
    126 KB · Views: 9
  • E3423EEF-64E5-40F8-9503-251004DD33E1.jpeg
    E3423EEF-64E5-40F8-9503-251004DD33E1.jpeg
    308.2 KB · Views: 9

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
how is the coverage on lower burf ? Challenger and Freddies in good shape ?

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
Great day up at Stevens yesterday (Friday). There were some challenges, Skyline was broken to start the day which led to massive lines on both Hogsback and Big Chief, and they didn't get the backside open until about 10am. Skyline finally opened around 11:15 and 7th heaven opened about 15 minutes after that.

That said, the snow was fantastic. Deep and just dense enough that you knew it was PNW powder, but still really fun skiing. I was maybe a dozen chairs back from first chair on 7th, that first run down was probably the best run of the year so far for me. Sorry about no pics, it wasn't that kind of day.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
What a fantastic 8 days of skiing in a row on Mt Hood. Powder every day. I only saw the sun twice -- otherwise very snowy. Kept the chains on all week.

Just finished up day 43 of the season yesterday at Mt Hood Meadows. I did the "Ski to Defeat ALS" fundraiser. My friend Bruce Alber has ALS and it was great to see him get out there on the race course with the sit-ski.

I skied Timberline, Meadows, and Skibowl. Two days were so good that I skied one area in the morning, then hit the fresh tracks at 3pm opening of Skibowl night skiing. 2-for-1 fresh tracks!

I don't often ski for a complete week, but this weather was outrageously good. I now need to rest my powder-ski muscles for a day or two.

0304231123h_HDR.jpg

0301231201_HDR.jpg

0227231752_HDR.jpg

0226231356.jpg

0227230937a_HDR.jpg

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Hero snow at Bachelor today.
The Redsters cut through everything. Good visibility and low crowds. Maybe a Summit opening tomorrow, that would be super.
20230306_103228.jpg

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
very very lovely last couple of days at Whistler/Blackcomb - lighting was particularly beautiful yesterday.
Fresh tracks, ski on lifts, and sunshine. The full meal deal.

TS
David Chaus

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Excellent day at Stevens today, apparently 3" fell in the last 24 hours, and there was plenty of untracked snow in all sorts of places in the morning, and very few people on the slopes. Like it's March, so no one comes out to ski except the die-hards. 7th Heaven looked fogged in on top (but it wasn't really, bwah, ha ha) and I got some really nice runs all to myself. Same thing on the backside, one of the best runs I've had in the Pegasus glades, and similarly Corona Bowl (towards the Waybacks side).

Sorry no pics. It was cold and windy at times, and not a lot that would show up on a pic, at least in the morning.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
Baker was firm but edgeable. Fantastic views, NOBODY there. Most of my runs had nobody else in view the entire run. I saw a few people riding the chair, but they disappeared after they got off, at least on Pan Dome. Snagglepuss was the run of the day for me. I posted some pics on Photo of the Day thread.

Last edited:

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
And it's early March. This is when the season starts to kick into high gear in the PNW.

Decision for tomorrow is which ski. Shopping for my next mid range ski. Have the good 108 powder ski and a rarely used 85 ice ski.
So far this week have tried the QST98, K2 mindbender, rustler 10, head core 98, Rosi senders and Volkl Mantra
Most have been pretty sweet in places but so far none has actually screamed buy me.

@slowrider Haven't tried those stokli 105s yet. Suitable for mixed bag @ 165lb ?

slowrider

Trencher
Skier

@noncrazycanuck

The SR 105 excel in variable conditions. @ 165# is a little light for these skis IMO. However, at your skill level you will have no problem bending these skis. I've seen these go for $400 with bindings.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Baker was firm but edgeable. Fantastic views, NOBODY there. Most of my runs had nobody else in view the entire run. I saw a few people riding the chair, but they disappeared after they got off, at least on Pan Dome. Snagglepuss was the run of the day for me. I posted some pics on Photo of the Day thread.
Snagglepuss? Where's that? I was on my carving skis today. Daytona, Borders once, and the last few turns at the bottom of 7 made my day. Though, the snow in the shade of Gabl's was still surprisingly soft. Had to leave by noon for work.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Started at Timberline, finished night skiing at Skibowl. This storm is just getting started with 8", maybe 16" tonight?

Too bad my son has to work tomorrow. His friend Tora a shoulder at Timberline today.

I plan on Meadows tomorrow, shoul be good.

0309232001_HDR.jpg

0309231536b_HDR.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor