• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic 2022-2023 Poconos and Greater Area Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roby lukens

Putting on skis
Skier
Yep. I just checked the web cam and the bottom of that chair is still there, at least for now. Frankly, you could probably walk back up to the top of vista as fast as it takes the chair to get there.
One more thing. The new lift supposedly ends at the same place the old double doubles did so main street laps should not be affected other than going further down the hill to get back on the lift.

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
I picked up a season pass to Camelback the end of last season. We haven't figured out our Western destination (s?), yet. Someplace not on the Epic pass would be nice for a change.

What are the infrastructure improvements that were made this offseason? CBK, Elk, Montage -- did they spend any money on their mountains?

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Camelback was replacing one of their lifts with a bubble lift if I recall correctly.

Shawn

Beep beep
Skier
Routine maintenance is all I've seen.

They're still in the early stages of planning to build that mid-mountain hotel that was in the news. Since the cost of the hotel is multiple times the value of the ski resort, I imagine that other infrastructure improvements will have to wait for some time.

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
Routine maintenance is all I've seen.

They're still in the early stages of planning to build that mid-mountain hotel that was in the news. Since the cost of the hotel is multiple times the value of the ski resort, I imagine that other infrastructure improvements will have to wait for some time.

I guess this is why I don't run a ski resort -- I can't imagine Montage spending big money without first upgrading a tired lift system as a prerequisite of growing their market share.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
I picked up a season pass to Camelback the end of last season. We haven't figured out our Western destination (s?), yet. Someplace not on the Epic pass would be nice for a change.
Maybe we see you this season. The first tracks perk is one you should take advantage of. Sullivan is being up graded to a six. Hadn't heard they are bubbles but wouldn't surprise me either.

I'm Ikon but there are still plenty of places out west that are independent. Indy Pass is an interesting collection of them. Check out the Ski Cooper Colorado season pass. Great reciprocal agreements with that one

Shawn

Beep beep
Skier
I guess this is why I don't run a ski resort -- I can't imagine Montage spending big money without first upgrading a tired lift system as a prerequisite of growing their market share.
If I win the lottery, here's what I'm doing:

-Eliminating the mid-mountain and long haul lifts and replacing both with a centrally located top-to-bottom lift (in red).
-Maybe a big long blue/ black trail down the center. Drainages moved.

-Cutting two green/ blue trails from top-to-bottom as shown

-The runout at the bottom to the North Face lift gets regraded so it's wider and flatter.

-I do have a North Face lift re-route but that's for a different, wildly more expensive plan with a hundred or so feet of dirt added to the parking lot to build up the north face elevation.

Then we'd have a true top-to-bottom mountain with longer runs and faster lifts for intermediates and up.

Screen Shot 2022-10-06 at 2.21.04 PM.png

Back in the real-world, upgrading two mid-mountain and north face lifts would be nice. Short rides, but nice.

TS
Willyum215

Willyum215

Col. Mustard
Skier
If I win the lottery, here's what I'm doing:

-Eliminating the mid-mountain and long haul lifts and replacing both with a centrally located top-to-bottom lift (in red).
-Maybe a big long blue/ black trail down the center. Drainages moved.

-Cutting two green/ blue trails from top-to-bottom as shown

-The runout at the bottom to the North Face lift gets regraded so it's wider and flatter.

-I do have a North Face lift re-route but that's for a different, wildly more expensive plan with a hundred or so feet of dirt added to the parking lot to build up the north face elevation.

Then we'd have a true top-to-bottom mountain with longer runs and faster lifts for intermediates and up.

View attachment 179906

Back in the real-world, upgrading two mid-mountain and north face lifts would be nice. Short rides, but nice.

Hope you win- I like your vision!

Shawn

Beep beep
Skier
More improvements at Blue

-New logo
-The 6-passenger lift we've been talking about all off-season
-Other improvements:
  • 9 new TT10 fan guns and 3 new TL8 Lances have been added
  • Shuttle trail is now automated with the addition of 5 B6s
  • Shuttle trail has been widened for improved capacity
  • The lower portion of Burma Road has been regraded for ease of transition to the new lift
  • 75 new LED lights have been added to Paradise trail, Homestretch trail, and the horseshoe area
  • We’ve made upgrades to our air and water main systems
  • 90 YB hydrants have been upgraded

-Looks like less of an uphill to get by the old doubles. We'll have to see how it skis when it opens.
-I like the 75 new LED lights on Paradise/ Homestretch. Planning a lot of night skiing this winter after work.

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
Maybe we see you this season. The first tracks perk is one you should take advantage of. Sullivan is being up graded to a six. Hadn't heard they are bubbles but wouldn't surprise me either.

I'm Ikon but there are still plenty of places out west that are independent. Indy Pass is an interesting collection of them. Check out the Ski Cooper Colorado season pass. Great reciprocal agreements with that one

I was just looking at Ikon. Has the repertoire of mountains we haven’t hit in a while.

Joby Graham

Getting off the lift
Skier
Blue is having a tent sale next weekend, with discounts on new and last season skis, demos, apparel and accessories. Anyone been before? Worth checking out?

justplanesteve

Getting off the lift
Skier
Hmm... too far north for poconos, too far west for NE; Central NY areas have a vibe all their own, but probably fit here better than with the bigger guys.

Labrador-Song owner sued by NYS AG for stifling competition.
May be forced to divest.

Hard to know how far this will get but it does make me wonder how it will affect rates and esp. my dual-area season ticket going forward after this season?

I thought after returning to skiing full season last year after 30 years off, that things were fixed well into my incipient doddlerhood.
Such a deal, 2 areas for a very inexpensive Sr pass. Last year i often skied until early afternoon at Lab, ate a bag lunch in the truck while driving over to Song, then skied there until somewhat after the lights came on.

Toggenburg was a well loved local area, and closing it pi$$ed a lot of people off. A lot of people.
OTOH, the guy who did it really has been customer centric for his remaining 2 areas and seems to work his ash off promoting skiing and making it possible for people of all ages to have frequent, cost effective ski experience all day, all week long. He's still far more price friendly than Greek. By a lot.

smt

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@justplanesteve

Pretty good poke to Lab or Song from Elmira. I assume by way of Ithaca, probably go through Dryden at some point. Greeks a hop skip from Dryden and imho a better local hill. Yes they’ve gotten pricey over the years but worth the price of a pass if you use it. Lots of improvements coming this season especially in snow making and adding trail's at Greek. Should be a good year once these temps drop.

justplanesteve

Getting off the lift
Skier
Skied Greek a few times after moving up here around '93, before their first bankruptcy. It was nice enough, but expensive even then and gotten more so. Other than a couple times with friends, i could only afford to ski there at night. From where i live, i'll pass by on the 4 lane and ski Elk which is a better, cheaper hill, for the same trip time. It's one of those personal vendetta things that old geezers affect, to keep the blood moving. :) One day last year Lab was closed after i drove up, due, i gather to not having enough staff to open. It was also a Monday, so as is regular schedule, Song was not open to go on over there. ( only time all winter that happened). Back in Dryden i scrolled up Greek on the phone. You don't want to train people to call last minute and expect best pricing, but there was something very opportunistic to see it would cost $106 to finish that day at Greek. I went home. I bet they turn off a lot of potential customers, who are never going to be season pass holders, but would maybe ski a half dozen or 10 days/ year, with their kids and everybody. Some of my neighbors, e.g. Or grandparents like at Lab and Song, dragging grandkids, nieces, nephews, & old buddies out.

Did the math last year, and the extra distance past Greek from Dryden to Lab was still worth it on a direct cost (gas) basis for 25-ish days vs Greek's senior pass cost. Ski Elk on Senior Tuesdays, Swain once or twice on Sr days with the buddy whose pass is there, that got me back skiing. Hunt Hollow any Wed-Thurs-Friday; senior tickets a couple days ahead at Hunt, 9am - 9pm, have to be one of the best deals in the US. Just past Hunt, for Greek's season pass prices, Bristol is a faster trip/bigger hill.
As you sort of allude, there are 7 decent-to-pretty good areas all within 1.5 hrs of me. The problem is that none is really much closer than that, timewise, either. Distances vary from about 60-odd miles all back roads, to 99 miles (mostly) all interstate. So i end up voting total cost of maximum flexibility, and ambience.

Lab-Song has such a great group of people, and for guys like me, great practical training programs for very small expense. They really do try to get people into the sport, and keep them.

Maybe next year i'll investigate Greek again, it is the closest distance but not by much, and not at all by time. Elk is my favorite.

smt

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Anybody else notice that Blue is not doing 4 hour tickets this year? Back to 8 hours or a night. I'll miss the savings as I rarely stay there for more than 4 hours anyway.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I will try to get to Blue a few times this season. One of the guys I usually ski Blue with may not be skiing too much this season. Not sure if it will keep me from getting to Blue though.

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe next year i'll investigate Greek again, it is the closest distance but not by much, and not at all by time. Elk is my favorite.

smt
I live between Greek and Elk, probably 10 miles closer to Elk. I used to get a night pass at Elk and pay to ski Greek, but since Elk stopped I’ve been getting a pass at Greek.

Elk generally has better snow and grooming if you’re a early skier, but by the time I get there it’s skied off. I do love Elk also but prefer to stay away on weekends but suffer and get a half day now and then. Think if they still offered a night pass I’d probably get Elk night and Greek season pass and follow the snow. Only bad thing about Elk is there isn’t many ways to ski it, Greek when fully open is much more enjoyable.

Finally snowing …. Soon real soon

justplanesteve

Getting off the lift
Skier
I had already looked you up on the map and wondered why not Elk?
Explanation makes sense if you have to count on nite skiing. I remember those days. :)
Enjoy it, and don't rush to get old, it happens automatically faster than you expect.

Another old timer was here at the shop today on other business and of course we talked about the snow last night and where we might meet up this year. He prefers Elk, too. I mentioned that him being in Ithaca, Greek would be quite close.
He said more or less what i've felt, and he is more than a few years past 80, so gets some discount. He just feels the terrain & the snow is less compelling at Greek compared to Elk. I remember Greek as interesting, probably as much potential as Elk. I'd try it again, but not spending over $100 for a weekday there (with RFID card cost) when there are so many equal but much cheaper options. I know it has a loyal following.

smt

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online